“Bang bang gone gone!”

Ranked #64 of 846 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here with a friend on Saturday night. It was a bad food experience. As usual we started with Bang Bang Shrimp, one of their signature dishes. It came out lukewarm and the shrimp were almost naked, breaking falling off into crumbs on the plate. The sauce had almost none if the kick that used to make this dish so good. It was just simply bad. My friends entre of scallops and shrimp was okay but the scallops were overlooked. My enterprise was a new dish of fettuccini with scallops. It was terrible. It had so much black pepper that my mouth was on fire. The pepper overtook everything in the dish. The scallops were over cooked and didn't even have the cartilage removed. I couldn't eat it. On top of all that bad, the pesto and bread came out after our entres and the pesto was loaded with salt. I reported the problems to the server and ultimately to the manager on duty. They were both extremely nice and took the bad items off our bill. In that conversation we learned that the corporate headquarters of this chain has changed the recipe for the Bang Bang Shrimp, likely to reduce their costs of production. They changed both the sauce and the breading which has led to the less appetizing dish we had. Very short sighted on their part! I doubt I will be going back.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We go to Bonefish often. The food is consistently delicious, and the wait staff are well-trained and pleasant. The happy hour wines are good quality. We highly recommend the pecan-crusted trout. A bowl of mussels is so good you'll be sopping the broth with the great bread.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Received an E-mail from Bonefish for a $10 off lunch for two. They have recently opened for lunch. I love the Bang Bang Shrimp so, I tried the Bang Bang Tacos. They were very good but if I go back for lunch, I will get the Bang Bang appetizer with a salad. The fries were very good as well as my husbands Kobe burger and slaw. So happy they opened for lunch!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have been to this restaurant on 3 occasions with the most recent this past week because a friend game me a coupon good for $20 off our total ticket. We tried to go on a Saturday evening and there was an hour and a half wait. Personally, I don't think any restaurant is worth an hour and half wait, so we decided to come back at an earlier time on Sunday. At 5pm it wasn't busy (yet) and we had no trouble getting seated.

First, its located in a strip shopping center. When you go insider, the main dining room is an open area of tables and chairs surrounded by booths on all four sides. There is a bar somewhat separated from the dining room. Despite the open dining room area and there being windows on the side closest to the parking lot, the restaurant still seems dark and the open area seating means its noisy when there is a crowd, which there almost always is around prime dinner time.

We started our meal with the "Bang Bang Shrimp". These are fried shrimp tossed in a creamy, spicy sauce. They are signature item on the menu and are worth a try. A special that evening was a pecan-crusted rainbow trout and my partner ordered that. I would usually order fish of some variety, but tonight I ordered a grilled Sea Scallops and Shrimp. I asked about the sides that came with the meal and was told that garbanzo beans garnished with fire-roasted tomatoes was the standard side for the evening and while I said that would be fine with me, my partner opted for broccoli. She also ordered a salad. The salad was typical fare.

When the main course arrived, she received a generous portion of trout and broccoli. I, on the other hand, received a plate with 4 sea scallops and 4 shrimp. These were not overly large sea scallops or shrimp either. That wasn't the best of it, or maybe it was. The garbanzo bean side dish consisted of about fifteen garbanzo beans and the tomato garnish was pretty much non-existent, meaning they were pretty dry. I asked the waitress about this and she offered to bring me more. I was so distressed at what was before me at this point that I simply waived her off. My partner commented that she was sure glad she ordered the broccoli.

The poor, lonely little scallops and shrimp on my plate were tasty enough, its just the portion was more like what I would expect for an appetizer or maybe a lunch, if you give them the benefit of the doubt. If my review was solely based on my dining experience, I would have given Bonefish Grill a 1 or at most a 2 rating. Since my partner's dinner was significantly better than mine I have bumped the rating to a 3, since she generously offered me some of her dinner when she noticed my hang-dog look.

There are a number of choices for seafood in Tallahassee and as my title questions, it is a mystery to me why this place seems to be so popular. From my collective experience dining at the Bonefish, I'm not sure that our local Red Lobster isn't better, but I guess I'm comparing one chain restaurant to another. Unless someone gives me another coupon for $$ off a meal at the Bonefish, I doubt we will be going back.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went with 3 other family members based upon TripAdvisor reviews. My general reaction is that the use of a grill to cook fish is a real plus, rather than the usual coated and fried "guess what it really is" entrée's in this state. Why do some restaurants in Florida take one of their best fish, grouper, and bury it in coatings? At least Bonefish does not do this. The other plus is the generally friendly service we received. Offsetting this was the uneven service and missed order taking as the restaurant became more busy. The restaurant itself was dark and unbecoming.