“O. M. G. ....”

Ranked #32 of 830 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Okay, the place is small from the front but is actually much bigger than I thought. There are about 10 tables and it is a personable type place.

This place is amazing - great wine, cheese board that changes daily and the portions are big! The Mac and Cheese is the absolute best ever! Also have had the grilled cheese - which was so ooey gooey I'm still drooling!

Certainly a new fav in TLH!

1  Thank tennillebug

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Random little place we found and were unsure of... ended up being absolutely AMAZING!!!. Service was fabulous very personable and classy. Yes it is small and random location but that is what gives Clusters & Hops its charm. The food was divine and explanation was very sincere, with this the pricing was beyond reasonable for the quality you receive of food and service!!! I would go back over and over again !!!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's tiny, it's hard to get to, and it has the best food in Tallahassee, perhaps in Florida. You know how in most places you look at the menu, you see one or two things that appeal to you? Here, there are only two things that don't appeal to me. Sometimes, it can be extremely difficult not to order everything I like, but since I'd need to share it with four other people. The wine selection is phenomenal.
The Mac n Cheese is so amazing--it comes out in a small pot, and you wonder why its such a small pot, then you start eating. You rave about how good it is to your companion, who eventually asks for a bite. You seriously wonder if this relationship is worth giving up a bite of your mac n cheese. Halfway through, you realize its so rich you may not be able to finish it all, but you can't leave a single bite in your pot.
The roast beef sandwich, the duck salad, the cheese and cracker platter, and so many other dishes on the menu are amazing. But the mac n cheese is worthy of any special occasion you might have.

1  Thank dhknits
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm afraid to even clue people in to this place, it's phenomenal. A single glass of Chateunauf de paup goes really well with a pot of Truffled Mac n Cheese.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Clusters and Hops is a unique bistro. For those who like wine, this is a great find. A person who wants to have dinner can order a glass or bottle off of the menu. For those with a more adventurous taste, you can walk down several small aisles of wines ranging in price from about $12 - $300 and pick out a bottle you want to enjoy with your meal.

The restaurant is dominated by a bar with tables surrounding it. There is also a small room off to the side. It is small but comfortable.

It is hard to spot at first. The traffic on Monroe Street can be heavy and this restaurant has a small sign out front. It is actually dominated by a mattress shop that is beside the restaurant. We ended up making a u-turn to get back to the parking lot.

The food is excellent. If you are searching for a burger and fries and a milkshake, this will not be to your liking. The wine theme dominates the small restaurant. As is often the case with small, speciality restaurants, the menu is unique and well worth trying. I had the sliced duck breast on white truffled squash with asparagus, smoked port soaked cranberries, a 1927 Sherry reduction & Oregon Alba mushrooms. Except for the duck, I would not have known what I was eating because it was unique. The taste was excellent, the food was fresh and prepared perfectly.

One of my dining companions had the filet of dover sole with herb crusted with gulf shrimp, toasted almonds & Meyer Lemon Beurre Blanc. The dish also contained snap peas & 'Pearls of Pasta Florentine' all of which was declared to be "excellent" by the person who consumed it in its entirety. I tried it and liked the fish very much.

My other dining companion ordered (and ate) the parmesan crusted ostrich filet with two styles of duck breast, on a medley of mixed greens, potato risotto pancake & sauteed wild mushrooms. He preferred the duck but I tried a taste of the ostrich. It was a first for me. It looked and tasted more like beef than chicken. It was also very fresh and very good.

The entrees were about $22.00.

While I would have liked to have tried one of the bottles of French wine from Provence that I had never seen, price and common sense held me back. Instead of the $200 bottle that would probably have been excellent, until I saw the bill on my credit card, I selected a bottle of a Washington State merlot to go with the meal. It was very reasonably priced at about $22, and an very good deal for the purchase of wine to accompany a meal in a restaurant. I had recently purchased the same wine at Costco. Normally, wines at a restaurant run as much as 100% above what one might pay in a wine shop. In this case, the wine was only $5.00 more than I paid at Costco and we had the pleasure of consuming the wine then and there to accompany our meal.

Dessert was a warm Blackberry, Raspberry and Strawberry Tarté with Vanilla Ice Cream and Berry Coulis. (See the photos for the entrees and dessert). It was also excellent.

All in all, the atmosphere was relaxing and pleasant, the food was unique, fresh and had excellent flavor and prepared with a unique twist that often separates a small, bistro from a chain restaurant.

For those who are planning a trip to a sporting event at the nearby Florida State University, this is a good place to enjoy a delicious meal instead of eating the expensive hot dogs, beer and pretzels at the game. It tastes much better, is reasonably priced, and probably a much healthier place to eat.