“Too good to disclose”

Ranked #33 of 831 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm afraid to even clue people in to this place, it's phenomenal. A single glass of Chateunauf de paup goes really well with a pot of Truffled Mac n Cheese.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Clusters and Hops is a unique bistro. For those who like wine, this is a great find. A person who wants to have dinner can order a glass or bottle off of the menu. For those with a more adventurous taste, you can walk down several small aisles of wines ranging in price from about $12 - $300 and pick out a bottle you want to enjoy with your meal.

The restaurant is dominated by a bar with tables surrounding it. There is also a small room off to the side. It is small but comfortable.

It is hard to spot at first. The traffic on Monroe Street can be heavy and this restaurant has a small sign out front. It is actually dominated by a mattress shop that is beside the restaurant. We ended up making a u-turn to get back to the parking lot.

The food is excellent. If you are searching for a burger and fries and a milkshake, this will not be to your liking. The wine theme dominates the small restaurant. As is often the case with small, speciality restaurants, the menu is unique and well worth trying. I had the sliced duck breast on white truffled squash with asparagus, smoked port soaked cranberries, a 1927 Sherry reduction & Oregon Alba mushrooms. Except for the duck, I would not have known what I was eating because it was unique. The taste was excellent, the food was fresh and prepared perfectly.

One of my dining companions had the filet of dover sole with herb crusted with gulf shrimp, toasted almonds & Meyer Lemon Beurre Blanc. The dish also contained snap peas & 'Pearls of Pasta Florentine' all of which was declared to be "excellent" by the person who consumed it in its entirety. I tried it and liked the fish very much.

My other dining companion ordered (and ate) the parmesan crusted ostrich filet with two styles of duck breast, on a medley of mixed greens, potato risotto pancake & sauteed wild mushrooms. He preferred the duck but I tried a taste of the ostrich. It was a first for me. It looked and tasted more like beef than chicken. It was also very fresh and very good.

The entrees were about $22.00.

While I would have liked to have tried one of the bottles of French wine from Provence that I had never seen, price and common sense held me back. Instead of the $200 bottle that would probably have been excellent, until I saw the bill on my credit card, I selected a bottle of a Washington State merlot to go with the meal. It was very reasonably priced at about $22, and an very good deal for the purchase of wine to accompany a meal in a restaurant. I had recently purchased the same wine at Costco. Normally, wines at a restaurant run as much as 100% above what one might pay in a wine shop. In this case, the wine was only $5.00 more than I paid at Costco and we had the pleasure of consuming the wine then and there to accompany our meal.

Dessert was a warm Blackberry, Raspberry and Strawberry Tarté with Vanilla Ice Cream and Berry Coulis. (See the photos for the entrees and dessert). It was also excellent.

All in all, the atmosphere was relaxing and pleasant, the food was unique, fresh and had excellent flavor and prepared with a unique twist that often separates a small, bistro from a chain restaurant.

For those who are planning a trip to a sporting event at the nearby Florida State University, this is a good place to enjoy a delicious meal instead of eating the expensive hot dogs, beer and pretzels at the game. It tastes much better, is reasonably priced, and probably a much healthier place to eat.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Clusters & Hops is uniquely warm and relaxing. As soon as you walk in it feels like you walked through some kind of portal, leaving the hustle and bustle of Monroe Street and all the other distractions of the city behind you.
This place is by no means fancy. As soon as you walk in you're in the middle of a wine and cheese shop. Also, the restrooms could use a face lift. But once you get into the darkened bar the room seems to envelope you.
The seating is minimal but the staff is attentive and really know their stuff when it comes to wine, cheese and other delicacies.
My wife and I go to this place as a treat because it is easy to drop $100 on a couple glasses of wine and an appetizer for each of us.
Clusters & Hops is one of our favorite spots in Tallahassee.

1  Thank Ron C
Reviewed January 2, 2013

It feels like a bistro. The place is small but that is what makes it so nice. The front of the facility has a good selection of wine, cheese, etc for sale. The food is very fresh. I highly recommend the Mac and cheese with truffles. Great place to sit and drink a good glass of wine after work.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We received a gift card and were excited to try out a new place in Tallahassee. Don't let the outside fool you. What is inside is truly special. Dark and quaint we got the only table left at 7:30pm on a Thursday night. Our waiter was great. Let us know the special and we ordered a glass of Malbec. We wanted to get dessert so we ordered 2 salads (warm goat cheese for me and duck salad of my husband) and the special which was a Kobe beef slider with blue cheese and foie gras. It was OUT of this WORLD. Wow.....my husband is still talking about how great the food was. We ordered the crème brule for dessert, raspberry mocha (raspberry is not my husband favorite) and it was again OUT of this WORLD. We will be back!!!!!! Well worth the drive from Perry!!!!!

1  Thank Hope L