“Best Thai food in North Florida”

Bahn Thai Restaurant
Ranked #138 of 815 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Tallahassee, Florida
“Best Thai food in North Florida”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was the first Thai restaurant in Tallahassee, and has been open 30 years; the owner married a US Air Force Major during the American war in Viet Nam. Avoid the lunch buffet unless you just want to gorge; the quality is in the evening at dinner. Try the omelette Papagiannis, named after a former Thailand Peace Corps director who got Susie to make it for him whenever he went there ....

Visited January 2013

Fort Myers, Florida
“When in Tally, MUST HAVE BAHN THAI!!!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

So happy to be back in Tally last week for Coconut Milk Soup with Chicken & Lemon Grass and Gulf of Bahn Thai!! For over 20 years, I have been eating at this authentic Thai restaurant, and will continue to do so... Momma Sue is the true original and just the most pleasant hostess!

If you have any questions about the food, be patient and ask politely. Yes, this is the USA; however, people don't quit speaking their own language! Just be nice and ask for help in making your decisions. I love #104 - medium.

Take some time out during FSU's Homecoming this weekend to get some BAHN THAI!!!

• Visited October 2012
Orlando
“disgusting buffet food”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

was passing thru Tallahassee and wanted to eat Thai food. we look on tripadvisor and decided to go to the no 1 on its list- reangthai, but unfortunately , got there a little after 2pm and they were closed. so we look up the next thai restaturant on the list and decided to find Bahn Thai. It was just outside of downtown Tallahassee so we thought it should be good esp since one of the review said they have been open for 33yrs. Went inside the restaturant and was not really bothered by the old and tired decor. We were greeted by the proprietress and was guided to our table. I asked to use the bathroom and was pointed to a door. That should have been my indication to run, the bathroom she pointed me too is also the storage room and it was dirty, moldy and grimy. got out of there very fast .the kids and hubby was in the other bathroom in the adjacent function room which was at least presentably clean . why she sent me to that dirty bathroom I have no idea. Once all seated, she then told us about the buffett offered and we said ok instead of ordering from the menu. we figured what we will get from the menu will be the same in the buffet. first off, we got there maybe around 230pm and we were the only customer in the restaturant. the food looks like they have been sitting there since forever. the white rice was hard on the top layer and you have to scrape it off to get to the softer one underneath. She asked her cook to make us some fresh fried rice since what was left in the buffet was crusted and adhering to the pan, the cook dumped the newly prepared fried rice on the crusted container and it looks like he poured a cup of oil into the fried rice coz it looked and tasted so greasy. chicken curry taste like recycled one week chicken mixed into a day old gravy. it made me gag when I tasted it. Pad thai look like transparent glue manhandled by a toddler. I recognized fried tilapia fillet, chicken barbq on a stick and the rest are gooey, clumpy, and as d previous reviewer said with a glaze film over the food when it has not been stirred for a while and simply gross looking and unappetizing .yuck ! now for the one star good- the female owner was so friendly, chatty and accomodating.. there was 3 stick of barbq chix on a stick ;left on the buffet and when she saw that was the only thing the kids were eating with rice she asked her cook to made us 3 more barbq stick and also the greasy fried rice. I also liked the sweet bean dumpling but there was only one left and they said they cant make new ones till tomorrow. the cucumber salad tasted ok enough. For the taste, they touted this place as a "Thai" restaurant??? plsss, it could not even pass for filipino food. there was not a hint of thai flavor in any of the dishes that we were brave enough to taste. not chinese, not vietnamese. they should have just called it the "salted week old restaturant". Since we have not ordered from the menu , I cant say what is that like. But if you unluckily find yourself in this restaturant pls do not have the buffett. if you are driving thru like we were- keep on driving and dont look back . Unfortunately, the attentiveness and friendliness of the proprietress is not enough to offset the subpar food offered in her establishment.

• Visited October 2012
“My radar went off not to eat the food.”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I consider trip advisor to be the bible when traveling. The rating was good, so we tried it. We thought it was interesting that they offered a buffet. The first clue should have been the fact that there was only 4 other people eating and they had egg rolls on their plates, not spring rolls. We sat down and ordered drinks without looking at the buffet first, mistake number two. We got up and looked at the buffet. Everything looked like it was a week old. Nothing looked appetizing. It all had that glaze you see when the food is not stirred. I played it safe and took a dumpling, some coconut soup, and marinated cucumber salad. My kids were braver and tried the sushi and the egg rolls . The egg rolls were black, my soup had black marks on the baby corn. The dumplings were cold. The sushi looked store bought. We made a family decision to take the check and go. We were there five minutes.

1 Thank Crazyroadtripmom
Tallahassee, FL.
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have been eating here for over 30 years. The food is fresh, good, and authentic. The service is very friendly and the owner/chef is always happy to prepare something special upon request.

• Visited July 2012