“Great service, pretty good food”
Review of El Jalisco

El Jalisco
Ranked #199 of 816 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: El Jalisco is a family restaurant in Tallahassee, Florida, serving up the best Mexican food in Kerry Forest. Stop by for our world-famous fajitas tonight.
Tallahassee, Florida
“Great service, pretty good food”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is a pretty upscale version of the other el Jaliscos in town and stays busy.

We ate in the porch area last night when the weather was pleasant. Only downside to the outside is the fact that there are many smokers who stay out here. If smoke bothers you, don't sit outside. I know that smokers won't go to an outside bar that doesn't allow smoke, but many nonsmokers avoid outside bars because there is smoke. I wish more restaurants had a total no-smoking policy.

Our server was prompt and courteous. He was very knowledgeable about menu items and made some good recommendations.

There's a 24-hour happy hour (2-for-1 well drinks, house wine, and beer). Except that scotch of any type is not included. I got the house margarita, which was pretty big, but thin. Wouldn't order that again. Others in the party got bourbon and coke or rum and coke.

My wife ordered Shrimp Quesadilla from the appetizer menu for about $5.99. A big helping with lots of shrimp. Based on the server's recommendation, I ordered the carnitas. Lots of pork, refried beans, yellow rice, pico-de-gallo, avocado, lettuce, and 4 small tortillas. Roll them up and you've got some good eating!

Our friends got the shrimp diablo ("hot, to the point of uncomfortable") and the chili relleno (excellent).

I'd give it four stars except for the smoking and the drinks, but I'll come back again, sit inside and get a beer.

• Visited April 2014

“Smokin' Fajitas”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

El Jalisco is and is not a restaurant chain. Meaning, there are several in the Florida panhandle (and I presume it is family owned and operated), but each location is not equal.

Of the five or so locations I have visited, I would have to say the restaurant on Monroe Street is the best. The salsa is far superior and the service excellent.

Last week we tried the location on Kerry Forest Parkway. Overall the experience was nice.
I ordered the rib eye fajitas, which was excellent. The meat was fresh, tender and yummy. But the service was poor and the margaritas weak and unimpressive.

This place is in a nice location and has a very nice outdoor deck, but the atmosphere is ho-hum.

• Visited November 2013
“Good Tex-Mex in a noisy atmosphere ”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Jalisco has several locations in the Tallahassee area. We frequent the North Monroe Street location and, on occasion, the Crawfordville restaurant. Chicken fajitas, chicken fajita and taco salads are our favorites. Occasionally I have the enchilada platter. Their refried beans are a special treat. The salsa and tortilla chips are hard to resist. For great Tex-Mex you can't beat them. The only downside is that the Monroe Street location can be very noisy.

Tallahassee, Florida
“There is a reason these are all over town”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went to the Kerry Forest location. Ordered the #21 (always) which is the mexican chicken strips. Good amount of pico and cheese topping the strips. The chips are always so-so but the salsa always makes up for it. Never had a bad server and I've been there a lot. Not a drinker but I think they have 2 for 1 during happy hour.

Visited September 2013
Belleview, Florida, United States
“Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

They had very yummy food. Lots of seating. Great service. Great prices. Had an enjoyable time here. Need more parking. Lots of people like going here, so parking was not the best, but still a great place to eat and meet with friends.

Visited August 2013