“hit or miss, but when it's good, it's awesome.”
Review of The Front Porch - CLOSED

The Front Porch
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Avenue
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Sometimes the veg and rice is bland and not worth eating. Chicken moist, skirt steak, pretty good. Truffle Mushroom pasta is fantastic. Highly recommend it. Also roasted brussel sprouts with a carmalized sauce are so yummy! Servers are very nice and helpful. The last time we were there, our server was a very nice, tan, sporty lady who made some great recommendations for wine and menu options. She get's gold stars.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had drinks and dinner (mostly we got appetizers) with friends here. I was curious as I've heard mixed reviews. Unfortunately, the negative reviews were closer to my experience. It's a lovely setting; our server was quite marvelous, patiently waiting on each person as we came in one by one. The beer and wine selection were fine although other places in town have much more extensive choices at more reasonable prices. Non one had anything more than adequate praise for a variety of dishes, including tomato basil soup, fried calamari, shrimp and grits, crab cakes (my choice and they were bland with a lot of filler). I had heard that the chef was of Portuguese heritage but I didn't spot any particularly Portuguese dishes on the current menu, something I would have tried. I'm really sorry because the owners have created a beautiful setting that is somehow empty of good food.

Noleone, Managing Partner at The Front Porch, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Kassie59,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback. A lot of time, energy, and thoughtfulness was put into the redesign of this iconic Midtown location. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the ambience and service.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the culinary aspects of your visit did not provide the perfect complement to the rest of your experience. Rest assured, I have shared your comments with Executive Chef Rego and the entire culinary team to preclude a similar occurrence in the future.

I would like to personally invite you to return to demonstrate that we are committed to the total dining experience. Please feel free to contact me at marc@hunterandharp.com and I will personally facilitate your reservation.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Marc

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Chef Joe Rego is fantastic. He's an outstanding chef. Both he and the manager are very attentive. Servers are courteous, knowledgeable, and attentive, without being intrusive. Overall, a wonderful dining experience!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have eaten here several times since New Year's Eve when we were impressed with the entire experience of this new restaurant since it was reopened as the Front Porch. Since then we have returned as a couple or with friends for intimate dinner, special occasions, weekend brunch, and happy hour cocktails with tapas. Each time the quality of the food and service was excellent and timely. The plentiful staff are always professional, courteous and helpful. We've tried a variety of the menu items including the specials which are often previewed on the Front Porch facebook. We like that you can choose your ambience from quiet dinning rooms, covered porch, or classy bar. The menu is creative and changes with the seasons. Definite recommendation for a dining experience. The signature Bloody Marys are awesome and the complimentary valet parking a nice touch.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I took my girlfriend to this restaurant because she was a fan of the television show chopped, and the chef won an episode. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. The food, the service(Alex our server was very informative, friendly, and laid back), and we even met and chatted with Joe Rego the chef. He was very humble and friendly, even offering dessert on the house for her birthday. I had the hen with a side of grits all of which was delicious. I would strongly recommend visiting this restaurant. Get the Rego hushpuppies as an appetizer and the oreo peanut butter ice cream dessert. Amust go, if you ever visit Tallahassee.