“Excellent food, excellent service. Wonderful dining experience!”
Review of The Front Porch - CLOSED

The Front Porch
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Avenue
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Chef Joe Rego is fantastic. He's an outstanding chef. Both he and the manager are very attentive. Servers are courteous, knowledgeable, and attentive, without being intrusive. Overall, a wonderful dining experience!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have eaten here several times since New Year's Eve when we were impressed with the entire experience of this new restaurant since it was reopened as the Front Porch. Since then we have returned as a couple or with friends for intimate dinner, special occasions, weekend brunch, and happy hour cocktails with tapas. Each time the quality of the food and service was excellent and timely. The plentiful staff are always professional, courteous and helpful. We've tried a variety of the menu items including the specials which are often previewed on the Front Porch facebook. We like that you can choose your ambience from quiet dinning rooms, covered porch, or classy bar. The menu is creative and changes with the seasons. Definite recommendation for a dining experience. The signature Bloody Marys are awesome and the complimentary valet parking a nice touch.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I took my girlfriend to this restaurant because she was a fan of the television show chopped, and the chef won an episode. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. The food, the service(Alex our server was very informative, friendly, and laid back), and we even met and chatted with Joe Rego the chef. He was very humble and friendly, even offering dessert on the house for her birthday. I had the hen with a side of grits all of which was delicious. I would strongly recommend visiting this restaurant. Get the Rego hushpuppies as an appetizer and the oreo peanut butter ice cream dessert. Amust go, if you ever visit Tallahassee.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Came to this restaurant with my boyfriend for my birthday, and everything was wonderful. I had the salmon with the orange sauce and it was the best I've ever had! The Rego hush puppies and southwestern wedge salad were amazing. The service was fast and fantastic. Our waiter was very knowledgable about the menu as well as nice. The bartender made me a special non-alcoholic lemonade because I am expecting. And the executive chef made it a point to come to our table and make sure everything was great. Such a fantastic experience. We cannot wait to come back again and again. Joe Rego rocks!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Recently we made a trip back to Tallahassee’s newest Highline restaurant, Front Porch to give it another try (6-5-13). The first time we went, we only had cocktails at the bar, our second trip while the food was amazing (Pork belly and Scallop appetizer and Shrimp+Grits); our initial visit was without reservations and we found ourselves stuck out on the porch, which was cramped and noisy due to no separation with the outside bar. If you are obviously younger and hipper than I this won’t be a problem, but I have sworn-off lessor establishments for similar reasons.

This trip however we made sure we had a table inside the restaurant and were not disappointed.
As one who both cooks and enjoys trying new things, a visit to Front Porch is a “culinary adventure” for sure. While we did not have reservations this trip, we found ourselves seated immediately and had great service throughout our stay thanks to our server, Sod.

We started our visit with their hand-crafted cocktails, as an amateur mixologist myself I like to try new combinations of cocktails that I might not otherwise try. Having met English on our initial trip just after they opened, and discussing his plans to have an extensive signature cocktail menu, we have yet to be disappointed with the choices on what seems to be a revolving menu.

I first tried the Floridian, a mix of mount gay rum, habanero simple syrup, fresh lime juice, mango puree, mojito foam and mint leaves served in a tall wine glass. While it was a little spicey for Heather I enjoyed it and left with some great ideas of my own for future cocktails. Heather ordered the Pear Basil Swizzle, but gave the drink to me after we ordered to grab a class of Chardonnay to go with her appetizers.

The Pear Basil Swizzle, is a drink that I really enjoyed and one that I will be recreating back at the Watering Hole home-based. The mixture of pear infused vodka, fresh lime juice, fresh basil, bitters, cardamom syrup and soda water, was a great combination I did not expect and it accompanied our appetizers perfectly.

Speaking of food; while we only had appetizers and cocktails this trip we tried the Chef’s special of Stuff Calamari with Sausage. This delectable dish could easily be passed off as stuffed shells in marinara if like me you have family and friends with an aversion to squid. I do not however and thoroughly enjoyed this dish and despite knowing how much work goes in to cleaning and preparing squid, will no doubt be busting out with the sausage attachment for our Kitchen Aide the next time we pick up fresh squid in Panacea.

We also shared the Crab cakes + Peaches, these jumbo lump crab cakes were as good as this Pan Handle boy have had and the arugula salad with, caramelized peaches, and mustard sauce reminded me of the fresh salads we got in California. Both of these dishes together, along with our cocktails made for a great evening and one that will have us back again, very soon.

So, to sum our visit up to Front Porch; Chef Joe has himself a hit on his hands. I can only hope that there are enough sophisticated palettes in TLH willing to patronize this trendy new establishment and can keep it from becoming yet again from turning into another Mexican restaurant. I give Front Porch four out of five stars on the Watering Hole scale for culinary delight. (https://www.facebook.com/wateringholeTally)