“Looking for a spot to dine on Saturday Night”
Review of Backwoods Bistro

Backwoods Bistro
Ranked #104 of 835 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Our usual restaurant has been discovered and had a long wait. We decided to hit the road for a new adventure. I had seen this place near Leon High that I had wanted to try, but not had the opportunity. We drove by, looked like we could be seated without a wait so we stopped in.. We were expecting country vittles but that was not the case. Saw no collards, backeyes or cornbread on the menu. Cozy cordoned bar to the left, dining to the right, we opted for the dining room. The wife settled in with a glass of red, tea for me. Waitress appeared fairly quick with drinks. We both had seafood on the mind when we left the house, a patron leaving recommended the blackened grouper. It was a great suggestion. I had the grouper fried, the wife had it blackened. Very light batter on the fried fish and light backening as well. We both went for the grilled red potatos as the side and the house salad.The fish was some of the best grouper I have had, very fresh, no bad fishy taste or smell whatsoever. Served on a very good sauce! We had a skewer of Hurricane shrimp as an appetizer, 8 battered shrimp on a skewer served with something like a bang bang sauce..Very Good. The fish was outstanding!
Service was good, price was in line with others around town. My only negative was upon the initial seating, the dining area was too bright, gave it a cafe type feel, around 8:20 or so they dimmed the lights a little bit and it made for such a nicer dining atmosphere.Also, only a few booths, could use a row of booths on the far wall! Definitely will return.

Winkerice, Owner at Backwoods Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Hello Ricky,
What a pleasure to hear that we surprised you with your first visit to Backwoods Bistro. We hear that a lot. We strive to make every guest's dining experience with us a positive one so I am glad to hear you enjoyed the food and service. We are especially proud of our fresh seafood like the grouper that you had. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for taking the time to give us a positive shout out! As a new family run business we appreciate the support.
Winky Jenkins-Rice, co-owner

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I decided to give Backwood's Bistro a try for a Sunday Brunch and we are glad we did. There were only a few other diners on our visit so we were able to enjoy a casual meal away from the screaming children and crying babies we encounter on Sunday visits to many Tallahassee resturaunts.The service was good-and I appreciate the advice of our waitress-I didn't know what to expect from the Shrimp and Dirty Rice and "The Beast" Sauce...she warned me that it was more than somewhat spicy hot (I will wait and try it on another visit when I am braver). The salad was not your ordinary iceberg lettuce clone-it was a quite tasty creation topped with their homemade Rosemary Blue Cheese Dressing.I had the Seared Tuna cooked medium rare (and perfect in flavor might I add) and Mixed Veggie Medly.But the dish that won our hearts was the Crab Cakes my wife ordered. I have tasted many, many Crab Cakes over the years and these were some of the very best (Puts the old Talquin Inn's Crab Cakes to shame)! Full of crab meat, perfectly seasoned with a good moist texture and a lingering hint of butter...YUM! My wife thought her potatoes were a bit over seasoned with peppercorms-but I enjoyed them. Although I was thinking of making a few more visits before reviewing them I decided to go ahead and share our experience because I can hardly wait to return to try more of their menu!

Winkerice, Owner at Backwoods Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Hello David, We appreciate you posting a review for Backwoods Bistro after your first visit! It's our desire to offer a special experience for our customers and we're certainly pleased to hear that you enjoyed your brunch. Looking forward to having you back again to try out some of our other customer favorites!!

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

It looks a little uninviting from the outside but don't let that fool you. The inside has a nice open space and is not cramped or crowded. The servers were very friendly and we both had the Grouper sandwich which was excellent. Our server graciously offered us a couple of drinks to go and we were on our way very happy that we chose to try this place. Would eat here again if we are ever back in Tallahassee.

Hello Mike, Thank you for taking the time to post a review for Backwoods Bistro. We appreciate your feedback about how much you enjoyed the grouper. We hope to see you again at our family business!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Went there for a meeting. People had talked about the place, but I had never been there as of yet. I ordered the Curly burger and fries. The burger lacked flavor. It came with tomato, lettuce and onion, but the onion was missing and I had to flag her down to get it. For the lunch hour it wasn't very busy. Maybe I should have tried something else, but the burger was average.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Quite honestly, I didn't know what to expect and for some reason, figured that this was mostly a wings and burger restaurant. Was I wrong. The decor is rather simple but that hardly matters, especially when stellar service and fabulous food defines an evening. My grouper was grilled to perfection and came with a nice vegetable medley. My dining companion had grilled pork loin over garlic mashed potatoes with an incredible butter merlot sauce. I recommend the restaurant and plan on returning.

Winkerice, Owner at Backwoods Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hello thestogs,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your positive comments from your recent visit to Backwoods! Our goal is to provide nothing but the best food and service for our customers. We are glad you enjoyed the grouper- it is always fresh or we won't serve it. As a locally owned family restaurant we appreciate your support and feedback. Hope to see you again soon!
Winky Jenkins-Rice