“My favorite Florida museum”
Review of Tallahassee Museum

Tallahassee Museum
Ranked #4 of 84 things to do in Tallahassee
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled within 52 acres of flora and fauna, the Tallahassee Museum is an oasis close to the heart of downtown. The Tallahassee Museum features a working 1880s pioneer farmstead, native Florida wildlife habitat (including panthers and red wolves), cypress swamp, Jim Gary's 20th Century Dinosaurs, and the all new Tallahassee Tree to Tree Adventures (an outdoor zip line and adventure course for kids and adults). Come enjoy the great outdoors with us at the Tallahassee Museum- where nature, history, science, and fun come together!
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a mini vacation to Tallahassee during March...before the hot/rainy season began for the summer. The Florida Museum was our favorite part of the trip. It is a very popular place and there were plenty of people the day we were there. The good news is it is an outside museum that has plenty of room to accommodate lots of folks. Get there early on weekends to make sure you can find parking close to the entrance. The museum is located just off of Capital Circle which loops around the city.
The museum is divided into two main areas. My wife loves the old "cracker" village which includes a number of north Florida farm building dating to the late 1800s/early 1900s. Different types of crops and animals typical of these early farms are seen throughout this area. My favorite area of the museum includes a raised boardwalk that meanders through large areas of swamp/forest. A variety of Florida wildlife can be seen here - black bears, deer, bobcat, wolf, fox, otter and the Florida Panther to name a few.
New to the park since my last visit is a series of zip lines that run all through the park property. It seems to bring in a lot of folks and helps to keep the museum afloat financially. Even though I didn't take part, it was still interesting to watch the folks zipping around the park overhead.
Expect to take at least a few hours to leisurely stroll through this park and take in all the sites. There is a gift shop, a place to get something to eat and clean bathrooms located near the entrance. The entry fee helps keep this museum open and is well worth it. In my opinion, a must see while in Tallahassee.

2  Thank Paul R
There are newer reviews for Tallahassee Museum

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently visited this museum that is hidden away from the city a bit. I found it to be an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. The Zip lines were excellent and the visiting animal exhibit (Tiger) was also good. This museum serves a great purpose in Tallahassee in that it is a tiny outdoor animal sanctuary. Animal lovers as well as plant lovers will find this outdoor trail based museum a hit.

1  Thank Henrydtho
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife was visiting someone in the hospital and I found this place on TripAdvisor. I took my two year old and it was an incredible day. They have an old plantation/slave school and a church that we went through and it was really compelling. Great animal exhibits, and a really cool old timer farm. Really amazing scenic views, and they have a zip line for adults that is going to bring my behind right back to Tallahassee to do it. I couldn't believe how much work they put into a massive zipline obstacle course. They also have a poisonous snake exhibit my son was a little to comfortable looking at. Really fun place to visit.

1  Thank AGolden161
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had no idea of what to expect when I went here. This place turned out to be fantastic. The boardwalk is amazing, and to see the native animal in their true habitat is just priceless. The Perky story is just so heartwarming. The old building gives you a great feel of life back then. This is a place you can't miss.

1  Thank alsch1
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nature Trail, Live Alligator, Wolf, Otters, Farm Animals, and for those who think this is only for kids ZIP LINES! C'mon, if you haven't been you are missing out. Take the whole family, friends or whoever and GO NUTS!

2  Thank Fifoodie