“Fresh food, friendly and nice bar area.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Japanica Steak House Sushi Bar
Ranked #220 of 796 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Good for: Families with children
Florida
“Fresh food, friendly and nice bar area.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We love Japanica for hibachi and for sushi. We have also enjoyed spending time with friends in the small bar area. The service has always been quick and very professional. The hibachi area is always fun and we really enjoy their hibachi chefs. I don't understand the past reviews as we eat at Japanica several times a month and have never had bad service or bad food. The sushi is beautiful and very fresh.

• Visited February 2014

Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“Don't make this mistake!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I will never go back to Japanica again. They pull you in with the guise of BOGO free sushi….but the service and attitude is definitely NOT worth saving a dollars for actual quality food. We were the only people in the restaurant and it was very clear that the staff couldn't care less that we were there…… Once we ordered our food, it took about 20 minutes for us to even see the sushi chef start to make our order; keep in mind they had been open for hours and hours already and we were the ONLY customers in the restaurant. 30 minutes after we placed our order we saw our plates ready to be brought to us…. but since the entire staff thought that their lunch in the back corner together was more important than serving paying customers…. we waited an additional ten minutes until another member of my party had to yell "excuse me" to even be noticed. The sushi was not terrible, but by no means was it the best I have had. Couple the poor service with the attitude of our waitress and it was an awful experience. I will gladly take my business to Jasmine's, Masa, and Azu before I ever even think about refusing to go to Japanica again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tallahassee, Florida
“Sub-Par with excessive Tip add on”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

WATCH OUT FOR THEIR "DEALS." My husband and I went there because of an e-mail we received to buy one dinner entree and get another for free. We would have been better off just getting the lunch hibachi menu. What they don't tell you is that they automatically assess an 18% gratuity for the cost of both meals. When I asked the waitress about this I was told it was something they started because people would skip out on leaving a tip for the cook. If this was part of the meal, it should have been explicitly stated on the coupon; however, it was not which, to me, constitutes false advertising. I understand that some people don't leave tips, but as a customer it should be my choice on how much I want to leave the cook. Someone could skip out on leaving a tip without a coupon, so I really don't understand what made our meal so different. It was also just a party of two (me and my husband) and we never go to a restaurant without leaving a tip, especially for great food with awesome service. This experience left a bad taste in my mouth (literally and figuratively). The food was sub-par and the service was mediocre. I will not visit Japanica again.

• Visited September 2013
Palm Coast, Florida
“Great food, ambiance and prices!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went there with colleagues while on business in Tallahassee. Two for one sushi AND two for one drinks. Who could ask for more!

• Visited April 2013
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Buy 1 get 1 free sushi roll is Very good deal. And still keep high quality.they open lunch and dinner,hibachi chef is very funny too.

• Visited March 2013