“Late Saturday Lunch”
Review of Paisley Cafe

Paisley Cafe
Ranked #31 of 815 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: When lightning strikes, sometimes you have to follow it. Kiersten Lee decided to open Paisley Cafe after a 19 year career in banking. She fell in love with the Midtown Design Center and decided to open up a cafe on a whim. Being able to provide the highest quality ingredients and highest level of customer service is Paisley's foundation. We are not only able to nourish our customers physically, but also emotionally and spiritually through our "Love on a Plate".
“Late Saturday Lunch”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We went to Paisley Cafe for a late lunch on a Saturday. We ordered the Cuban Sandwich which was on special, the collard green soup, the petite paisley salad, the chicken salad sandwich and the brownie. The restaurant is clean and has a positive and inviting atmosphere. The food isn't cheap (the above items ran us about $50.00 with tip) BUT the food is amazing. Fresh & delicious. One of the best chicken salad sandwiches I have had plus the collard green soup with peas is amazing too. The brownie is HUGE! We ate half and brought half home. One of the best places to eat in Tallahassee!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Travel4Fun465

“Nice Lunchtime Visit”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My wife and youngest daughter (in from a visit from Oklahoma City) told me to meet them for lunch at the Paisley Cafe. I'd driven by countless times over the years but never been there.

Parking is problematic, since they're in an older building and share the facility with some other small businesses and they share a parking lot with a large insurance company. It was difficult to tell whether or not I was parking in a shared spot OR was in one specifically for the insurance company. Since my car didn't get towed off, it may not have been a big deal, but during a busy lunch hour, it's a bit disconcerting.

When you walk towards the entrance, there's an outdoor verdanda with a few small tables if the weather is permitting, which isn't exactly right now in Tallahassee. Inside the door, you see a narrow area with the kitchen and a bar with seating to your left and a few tables on the right. You order at the end of the bar area, get a number and seek seating.

The pricing, as others have indicated, is not for the faint of heart. Most of the entrees are from $13.50 to $14.50 The sandwiches aren't much cheaper. You do have a choice of sides with many things, but your drink is not included. They have beer, bottled drinks (i.e., Mexican Coke, iced tea, etc.) or you can get water or lemonade (my wife had the blueberry version which she enjoyed).

We managed to get a seat in the larger dining area. The table was an old door with glass on it. The ceiling is a bit odd--a bunch of piping that had been blown with some sort of black insulation or covering. The decorations on wall are tasteful and somewhat understated. It wasn't too loud despite the crowded nature of the lunch hour.

My wife and daughter had a cumcumber salad with sour cream, lemon and dill which both said was excellent. Both also had sandwiches that they enjoyed; both were with meat and cheese. My wife's had ham and a tomato jam made in-house that she very much enjoyed. My daughter's was a ham with brie that had the in-house apple butter, which she also enjoyed.

My selection was the grits with collards, peas and candied smoked sausage. It came with a couple of small blueberry cakes and the in-house apple butter, which the waitress suggested should be dribbled over the grits, which I did. The grits were white and quite creamy (meaning they were made with milk, not water), the collards well done, though not to the point of being mushy, the peas (we though white acre peas) were done properly and the smoked sausage was delicious.

Service was good, not too overly fussy. They were happy to refill our drinks upon request (which come in small Mason-style jars) and did a take-out cup for my daughter's drink. We didn't opt for dessert (a) because they were huge and would probably cause all of us to fall asleep at the wheel before getting to our destination and (b) they weren't cheap either (and shouldn't be, given the size and obvious work that went into them).

All in all, a nice, if pricey, experience which we wouldn't mind repeating at some point in the future.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank CheckMan
Tallahassee, Florida
“I'm in LOVE with "Love on a Plate"...”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We have made this our go-to lunch date. Often-times we will split a lobster bisque and either the chicken salad on a croissant, one of the many yummy presses (definitely recommend the Heirloom tomato!) or the prime rib sandwich with sriracha ranch dipping sauce. So yummy! Slutty Brownie and Lemon-Blueberry Bread pudding have also been delightful treats for us:) We're just sad they don't have mimosas!!

Outdoor dining area "in the garden" is reminiscent of a brunch place we visited in Brooklyn, NY. Love the feel! :)

The staff is always friendly and I love seeing the owner step in and make recommendations daily. She really knows what her restaurant does best!

• Visited June 2014
Pensacola, Florida
“Lobster bisque!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

While a little pricy. This locally owner/operated cafe is a gem, fresh made bread and unique ingredients made our sandwiches delicious but the lobster bisque was incredible (a must try). Give it a try and I think you will fall in love with the food and staff. Outdoor statins is a big plus for me.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jan W
“Loved it”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

First went to this backstreet café a week ago (May 2014). Went back 2 days later. Recommend the lobster bisque (too die for). Also had tasty little biscuits made with ham, bacon and tomato jam. Delicious. Staff was very friendly. "Slutty brownies" a must, if they are fresh. Mine wasn't so fresh. Staff and service excellent. Pricey, though.

• Visited May 2014