“Great budget hotel”

Motel 6 Tallahassee Downtown
Ranked #52 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a bit apprehensive about our first stay in this cheap chain but we were very happy with it. Great size, clean, quiet, pool looked clean. It's in a fabulous location near downtown. I wouldn't stay anywhere else given the excellent price

Stayed: December 2013
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Tallahassee Downtown

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Back in Feb I called Motel 6 group sales to set up a group reservation for the Miami/FSU game

I had 20 rooms total

For starters when I checked in I was overcharged for my room, although I did eventually get a small credit back for that.

The reservation was for 2 nights. (11/1 and 11/2) and everybody called individually to reserve their own rooms and hold them on their own CC. As I was on my way into town I began getting calls that they wouldnt let anybody check in until I got there since my name was on the group reservation. I then started to get cals from people saying they were being told that the reservation was for only 1 night and not 2. When I went to check in, I had mt printed email confirm showing it wad for 2 nights, yet Sonya behind the desk still tried to insist that it was only for 1 night.

Later on I went down to the desk and spoke with Tiffany about the rest of our group that was coming in. I gave her the names on the reservations and she verified that she had every one of them in the system. Not an hour later I get a call from somebody saying they were being told they no longer had a reservation.

I went down to the desk to find out what was going on and was confronted by the GM (Will Hill) who accused me of trying to "intimidate" their staff. After speaking with him he admitted that he cancelled the rest of our group rooms because somehow he decided that the reservation was made at the other property they have in town.

We had 16 people who were going to be staying in 4 doubles.....and he did finally agree to give them rooms at no charge.....the problem is that all of the rooms were singles. (16 people in 4 singles)

At 2:15 am I got a text from the other 6 members of our group who were also told that their reservation for 2 rooms was also cancelled. These 6 individuals wound up spending the weekend sleeping in their car.

I have never seen such incompetence and unprofessionalism in my life. The GM told me that having these rooms "blocked" was "costing them business"

Excuse me? If somebody checks in....that room generates revenue. If they dont show up, their card gets charged for not canceling and the room gets resold anyway. That made no sense to me.

Will Hill isnt qualified to run a hotel and his front desk staff tried their best, but clearly need additional training because they certainly were not prepared to handle large groups.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear NJto - We apologize for the reservation issues you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience they caused you. Please contact our guest relations department so we will have a record of your experience to better address these issues and improve your experience with us in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I only got a room here bc i needed a hotel room for an early 6AM check in that would allow me to stay that entire day until the next morning without charging me the night before or half the night before. The clerk was VERY nice at check in!! I got to the room w my infant son and immediately went to turn the air off bc it was cold. As soon as I flipped the latch open to the AC, about 10 roaches went scattering out!!!! I called right down to the desk and they gave me a refund as well as told me the general manager was coming to inspect the room, yea right they just didn't want me to think I could pull a fast one and stay after getting my refund. I couldn't get outta there fast enough...GROSS.

PS- she did offer a new room, but we all know if one room has them then they all do and I wouldn't subject my baby to that environment, not for $42! Who could sleep after seeing that?

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

This is like the third or fourth time I stayed at this location. It is very affordable and the rooms are clean. I had to pay for wireless but is cheap too. Good TV reception, rooms looks in good repair and smelled clean. Highly recommended for the road warrior if your stop is between Downtown Tallahassee and I-10. Close to Chilis and. Shopping malls .

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just got back from parents weekend at FSU. The only good thing about this place was the Desk Clerk Tiffany. She was a real sweetheart. I had to go out and buy a spray because the room STUNK. Woke up with a terrible headache and chest was on fire because of the mold. Blasted the A/C and left the door open to see if that would help..NOT!!!!!! I realize for the price I should not expect anything more, but come on.....Not even a blanket. Refused to use their ripped bedspreads so I had to call down for a blanket....Will def spend the money on a better place, but since it was last minute guess I had to settle for what I got..

Room Tip: Room down the street
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I like Motel 6. I know their rates are cheap and they have decent rooms. The rooms had to be deodorized but I always carry a can of fabreeze with me. Other than that, is a good place to stay after long day driving.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were a bit hesitant to stay here after reading all of the negative reviews online. However, we needed a place to stay in Tallahassee one night after a football game. I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is an older budget hotel. However, the staff was very nice and the room was fairly clean. We saw no bugs or evidence of bugs like so many reviewers had complained of, so they must've addressed that issue. The bed was comfortable. The whole place needs some paint, new carpet, and general upgrades. They do not have free internet or free breakfast as many budget hotels do these days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple