“Stayed for FSU game weekend - good location, but not a great experience”

Motel 6 Tallahassee Downtown
Ranked #48 of 54 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The staff was mostly friendly and this is a nice location, very central. I stayed here because it was the only place under $100/night still available. It was not worth the $85/night rate. The comforter had cigarette burns despite being a non-smoking room. The room had a bad smell, maybe musty, maybe smokey. It was pretty dull. It was mostly clean but showing signs of age. The beds were very low and there were some basic TV channels. Since it was Motel 6, it doesn't have the amenities of other places in the area - internet costs extra and no breakfast. This is mostly just a bed and a bathroom. There was a little pool. There was no table w/chairs in the double room. We were told there is in the single room. Considering it was a game weekend, I would pay $50/night max and much less at other times. I probably will not go back to this motel. I think they are better values in the area.

Room Tip: Something by the pool might be nice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sullynole

Reviewed August 28, 2011

We found this place through our GPS - we were starting our vacation with only a rough idea of where we where headed, and found ourselves in Tallahassee. We were tired, and it sounded ok on the phone, it was inexpensive and close by, so we checked it out. The man on the phone said we could have a non-smoking king, or for $6 more we could have a king suite with a refrigerator, and microwave. The king room was too funky smelling for us, and the king "suite" was kind of ok so we took it.

This is an older place, and all hotel rooms allowed smoking in the past. It is interesting that they can call a room non-smoking by applying a sticker to the outside of the entry. When I asked the desk clerk why a non-smoking room would have an ashtray, the response was - "they are going to smoke anyway, and we would rather they put them out in an appropriate place rather than the floor or counter". With all the burn marks on the vinyl floor it seems this strategy is not working very well.

All in all, the place was not quite disgusting. Recent paint on the walls, and a newer carpet tells me they are making some effort. They had hot water and clean sheets. I only had to kill two bugs on the walls for our one night stay. If given the opportunity, it is not likely we would choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank VillagerRick
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Woke up to a cockroach crawling across the bed... not a palmetto bug - but a nasty, trash-eating sewer roach. It explains why I got pink eye while staying here! We found 2 more in the bathroom and on the ceiling. When I called the front desk, all they said is they could put me in one of the smaller rooms a few doors down. Would not stay here in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AimeeCleverly
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The motel was ok.. Nothing grand.. A room.. 2 queensize beds.. Bathroom..

It met our demands at the time and we had a good nights sleep there before moving on to New Orleans.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saekiz
Reviewed April 17, 2011

The price was right, but at such a cost. You are charged in advance at check-in. This is usually a bad sign.

First thing we notice is the air is warm and musty. The AC unit is working, but not blowing cold. After resetting it according to instructions, it still blew only cool, far from cold air. Next thing was only 1 bath towel. So we went to call for more. Ooops. Phone doesn't work. Had to use my cell phone to call the front desk. Then I had to go to the front desk to get the towels - no housekeeping staff past 6:00 p.m.

There is no facial tissue in the room. There is no pen and no paper. They charge a fee for their WiFi service, which wasn't working on our final day. Our carpet was badly patched. The bed was very low to the ground, almost like dumping the box spring and mattress on the floor.

There was no clock at all, so, obviously, no alarm clock either. Along with the broken phone this required the traveler to provide their own wake up device. The phone was not replaced or repaired during our two night stay.

Oddly there was an ash tray turned upside down with the no smoking symbol facing up. This in our non-smoking room. From the smell, I'd say it's only sometimes non-smoking, or recently made non-smoking. Also, you won't need a bottle opener, there was one permanently mounted on the sink stand.

Two more points. One, this motel asks you to hang your towels up to use again. However, when we did, they replaced all the towels anyway. This always bugs me, especially in Florida which has suffered from drought for the past few years.

Finally, the front desk staff was good. I could tell they were used to the types of complaints we had, but were truly sorry about them. They made no excuses or empty promises, just noted the problems. I didn't push, because it was obvious that only one person was ever on duty, and they were limited in what they could do.

Room Tip: Stay toward the back of the complex.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel34373
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I wasn't expecting to be spending the night in Tallahassee so I was looking for two rooms in a hurry. What I got was a room in a motel where all the employees I met were VERY nice, but the rooms were awful. One room had a chunk of carpet cut out and cigarette burns in the bedspread--this was a non-smoking room. Mattresses were in bad shape--the worst I had slept on in a motel that I can remember. They wanted $2.99 for wifi. The rooms were such a no-frills zone that the only step lower I could have made would have been to sleep in a tent in the parking lot. The area must not have been too safe either because they had a locked gate at the side exit and a big fence. The only way out was to go out past the front of the building and that was a pain because I had to turn around to manage that. Drive past this one.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank hardtack_n_lace
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I remember when Motel 6 was a clean, cheap, decent place to stay--but NOT anymore!!
I know what a no-frills motel means--but there should still be some basic amenities like a box of tissues, a hair dryer, a decent sized bar of soap, ample towels replaced daily, bed sheets and blankets without moth holes & cigarette burns, pillows without stains & comfortable enough to support your head, mattresses that don't sag everywhere you lay your body. The entire room was filthy including the bathroom which had mold in the tub/shower area. I would not recommend any Motel 6 to my worst enemy--it is truly a
"s--t-hole" and not fit for human habitation. They should all be inspected by some government agency and condemned as "Contaminated--Not Fit For Human Living"

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple