“Great food, nice atmosphere decent service”
Review of Up In Smoke Pit BBQ - CLOSED

Up In Smoke Pit BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Great food, nice atmosphere decent service”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A very good BBQ restaurant. Grits, collard greens, onion rings, coleslaw are all good. Forget the fried green tomatoes, these are the worst ever. Baby back ribs are normally great, this trip they told us they had to get big meaty ones. They were terrible, if I had not had several great meals there before I would never go back.

• Visited May 2014

Atlanta, Georgia
“I adore this place”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Realistically, it's the only place you can get Brisket and grits at 7am... and THAT ALONE is worth the cost of admission... which is nothing because it a restaurant, they don't charge admission silly.

Visited January 2014
Tallahassee
“Likelihood of returning went Up in Smoke. ”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

This was my first and likely the last visit to Up In Smoke BBQ . Despite the negative word-of-mouth information I'd heard about the restaurant I wanted to try it for myself.

I arrived at around 10:00 AM on Saturday. I was by myself. It was about 5 to 7 minutes wait before anyone came to my table.

I asked for honey to sweeten my coffee. The sweet waitress (never introduced herself) said "sure" then forgot to bring it and I had to remind her.

I ordered the Bradleys Sunrise Sausage Sampler which came with 1 small sweet link sausage, 1/2 a hot sausage and a thin sausage patty, 2 eggs, toast and  cheese grits (slice of American Cheese cost extra).

I was told by the waitress who brought my meal (not my waitress) that she would bring butter and jelly for my toast. She did not bring it. When my waitress came to check on me I asked her for some butter.

For $9 the Bradley' Sausage was 1/2 a sausage sliced long ways. The link and patty sausage were overcooked making them difficult to cut with a butter knife.
I waited 30 - 35 minutes to receive my food.

I did use an $11 for $20 worth of breakfast Groupon so didn't feel like it was a lost cause. In an effort to use the entire Groupon amount, I ordered a Texas Toast (wrap instead of toast) sandwich to-go  with scrambled eggs, cheese and Bradley's Sausage and home fries. About 1 minute after the waitress took my to-go order she came back and asked me if I wanted grits with that. I told her home fries. She also confirmed the sandwich I told her was a wrap. When I received the to-go order it had grits in it. I had to ask the owner or manager for home fries.

The restaurant was also hot. It felt like the heat was on although the ceiling fans were turned on. I did ask my waitress if the air was on, she said yes but they had a lot of people she said she would ask about turning it colder. I had no indication that the air had been turned down.

There was a sort of "low expectations" quality about the place. I was not impressed.

3 Thank Rickejjt
Tallahassee, Florida
“good food, good service, okay price”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Had lunch at Up in Smoke today. Upon entering, there's a comfy bar on the right, and lots of tables and booths on the left. Interior is pleasant, and there's a large-screen TV tuned to a sports channel.
We were seated immediately, and our waiter was right there. We ordered tea and it came soon. It was pretty thin tea, more like the bags were wafted over the glass.
I opted for the brunswick stew which had a nice mixture of brisket, limas, corn, onions, tomatoes in a tomato broth. No complaints here. Bowl is 6 bucks and is a good size.
My wife had the Cuban with pulled pork. So, it had ham, pickles, pulled pork and was on a pressed hoagie roll. When you put the regular house sauce on it, you got something really good. Came with a small side. She had baked beans and they were tasty.
Service was pleasant and attentive.
We're going back for the breakfast this weekend.

• Visited April 2014
florida
“Tried the breakfast menu-stick to night time BBQ.”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have never eaten here before, but relatives had been wanting to eat breakfast here, so we gave it a try. I think their speciality is BBQ and not breakfast. Eggs were fried beyond hard and the whites were brown instead of white, I don't know if they smoke these things or what. Pancakes were cold, but the smoked ham was good. Service was lacking. Never could catch the server to get a refill on the coffee until she brought the check. I haven't tried their BBQ at night, based on reviews it must be good, but I will pass on breakfast here.

• Visited March 2014