“PLEASANTLY Surprised !”

Red Roof Inn Tallahassee - University
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I had a previous very bad experience at RRI in South Mobile so I was somewhat aprehensive. I had stayed at one of the "Numbered" motels next door three times previously and had negative experiences there due to the activites of other guests.
I was waiting for bad weather to clear up for a bicycle tour in the area and ended staying a second night.
Staff was courteous and helpful, WiFi was fast and free with complimentary card, room was spacious and very clean.
Despite being closest to I-10, it was quiet, even with some rained out Spring Breakers staying over.
Lots of restaurants nearby.
Am booking next week while enroute to another bike trip.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed May 13, 2009

This was a cheap place to stay and that is all I can say. The rooms were not cleaned well, there was no maid service if you were staying more than one night, and I don't know where another reviewer saw a pool, but there isn't one at this hotel. Upon checkout the clerk tried to charge us 2.5 times the agreed upon rate. I did have my confirmation with me stating the prices so she gave me the rate that was listed. Let me make one thing clear; the people that work here are very friendly and polite. Whoever owns this hotel needs to be run off. It was FSU graduation weekend or we could have stayed somewhere else, and we would have. If you have alternatives, then use them. This is a place of last resort. Our feet were filty when we walked across the floor after a shower.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank grumpsandgranny
Reviewed May 2, 2009

If you are looking for a cheap clean hotel for overnight stay you found it. The staff are helpful the rooms were both immaculate there's a pool if you can be bothered. The pool was clean and tidy. The beds were comfortable thats what counts for me and a clean bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I noticed that a review has not been posted about this property for over 2 years. It is time for an update!

I booked this hotel with very low expectations, based on the customer reviews. However, this place has obviously undergone a HUGE renovation and now it is great. The room looked brand-new, the hotel smelled like fresh paint and everything was beautiful. The front desk staff was extremely nice and we had no problems whatsoever. My only concern is that in this day and age, the hotel still charges $9.95 per day for wireless internet. There are too many hotels that offer it for free and to remain competitive this hotel should do the same. Also, there is free coffee in the hotel lobby but there are no coffee makers in the room and no continental breakfast that I could see. But these are minor gripes. My biggest concern was cleanliness and safety and the hotel seems to have a grip on this now. I highly recommend this hotel. I never thought I'd be saying that about a Red Roof Inn!

By the way, for some reason we got a handicapped room (although we didn't ask for it or need it). But it was still fine.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank timbolester
Reviewed January 29, 2006

If I had read reviews before I would not have stopped. I have had good luck with red roof before and have a "redicard". I would advise anyone to read the reviews before mine regarding security. There was a knock on our door with a man asking to use our iron as his was not in his room. It looked like someone trying to check out who was in room and perhaps force entry. My wife called the desk and was told several rooms had called about the same thing. I kept a close eye on our car in parking space during the night and observed someone standing in the lot most of the night. When checking out I told the desk about someone possibly dealing drugs in the lot. One of the employees told the other one "I know who it is ,and it won't happen again". A recap of my stay would be NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank ZAZULibertyUtah
Reviewed January 2, 2006

Not too sure what has happened to the standards at RedRoof. I used to like this hotel chain. This hotel was very dirty looking. The room was very outdated, we did not have a remote control. The bed looked very dirty and was uncomfortable. There we stains on the ceiling and the air conditioner barely worked.

The front desk staff were not at all friendly. They had no knowledge of the surrounding area when we asked for restaurants nearby.

The only plus thing about this hotel was the rate of $41. I would not stay at a RedRoof Inn ever again. La Quinta Inns are much nicer

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank thebrit123
A TripAdvisor Member
Wisconsin
Reviewed December 14, 2005

I have stayed at this RR many times over the years. But this was my last. Once it was a nice place to stay, reliably safe & clean. No more. Now the hotel has fallen into disrepair and is poorly maintained. For instance, wooden steps were rotting, and vehicles & trucks were apparently using the lot for storage. But most disconcerting was security. I checked in for four days -- one female, alone, a party of one. A room key was given to someone claiming to be my husband & asking for entry to the room -- no questions, no id, no nothing -- at 1am on my last night! Avoid at all costs, unless your only choice is to sleep in your car. Better yet, you might be safer in your car.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business