I have traveled enough to know how to feel about the different brands of hotels and have certain expectations when I visit a particular brand.
In my hotel coupon guide I was using on this trip (which are printed every few months so they are easily updated) it stated there was a spa, and a pool. When I asked if they were working I was assured they were. Previously when I have been out on the road I have asked if they have a pool (if traveling with my daughter) or a spa (if traveling alone). They reply they do, but fail to mention its" not working" or "it isn't filled," or was "just filled and has a temperature is about 40 degrees." So I make sure I ask if these amenities are actually function and able to be used.
Arriving around 10pm after a very long drive from Dallas to Tallahassee I was ready just to get to my room and would check out the spa (i was traveling alone) n the morning. So I headed off to my room to shower and enjoy some quality Internet time.
First, I showered and settled in and opened up my laptop to crawling, painfully slow, useless Internet. I check settings, re-boot, turn the signal on and off, and it just can't load a page.
A quick call to the front desk, and as soon as I said internet the lady at the front desk finished the sentence "is slow." I finished with "painfully slow." To her credit I was promptly moved, but the hassle to repack, and get down to the new, identical room, when all you want to do it be horizontal is something most people reading this understand. It seems to me, as this isn't the first time its ever happened but I may have to just check Internet speed before I do anything else. To minimize the moving pain. If I hadn't been unpakced some, showered and comfortable it wouldn't have been as annoying.
It's terribly frustrating when its a known issue and ignored. The front desk knew the problem before I had the whole sentence out. My issue is because that this is Fairfield Inn by Marriott, not any other number of brands I would shrug and say you get what you pay for, more or less. This is adding a few more routers and cabling. Far from a capital investment but one that would have numerous benefits for a wide array of travelers.
In the morning after an agreeable and decent breakfast, I was going to hit the spa. There wasn't one. While it was on their ad, and I asked about it but (sadly many people also don't differentiate between a pool and a spa) it did not exist. There was a gentleman in a wheelchair that was also asking about the nonexistent spa.
This too put a ding on how I was feeling about my stay. I don't know why they don't have a spa any more. I didn't ask and it didn't matter. There wasn't going to be one in the next hour, so I packed up and hit the road instead of soaking in some bubbly heaven.
These ads are reprinted ever few months, and I did gather it had been "a bit of time" since the spa was covered or dismantled. This makes me feel like Fairfield, Tallahassee dropped the ball on me here too.
So it was not something I expect from this brand when I travel. I just expected more from my experience at other Fairfields.
On the plus, it was clean, they were courteous, the breakfast was fine, but the frustrations were too large to over look as it really impacted my short stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tallahassee Fairfield Inn is located at exit 199 on I-10, near downtown Tallahassee, Florida State Univeristy, Florida A&M and state government offices of Tallahassee. When traveling through Florida between Jacksonville, I-75, Pensacola and other sites of the Gulf Coast, the Fairfield Inn Tallahassee is a perfect hotel for a stay over as you cross the panhandle! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Fairfield Inn Tallahassee North/I-10 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Tallahassee North / i-10 Hotel Tallahassee
- Fairfield Tallahassee
- Tallahassee Fairfield Inn