“Great burgers, but get'em to go.”

Wells Brothers Bar and Grill
Ranked #3 of 831 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 28, 2014

OK. I'm driving through Tallahassee and tripadvisor pops up Wells Brothers Bar and Grill. Hmmm...Best Burgers in Tallahassee for the last five years. 10th best restaurant in Tallahassee as currently rated. So I'm up for a good burger and a beer. Hit the directions button and shortly pull into the parking lot. Nice looking place. I open the door and a dour hostess looks me over and says, "We're kinda crowded here in the front. You might wanna go back to the bar or check out the patio. Okey Dokey. I wander back into the bar. It's loud. It's crowded. Funny, it's a lot more crowded than the front room.

So, I look out the back door. Nice patio. I head out there. Sit down. Have a smoke. And here comes one of the Wells Brothers. "HAY HOWYA DOIN' KINDA WET OUT HERE LEMME SEAT YOU IN THE BAR!" I'm thinking "Funny, do I look like I'm hard of hearing."

Back into the bar. One of the Wells Brothers, the same one, took my order. I would have preferred the server with the script tattoo winking from beneath her long hair as she sashayed by.

The order's there quick like a bunny. My wife says that..."Quick like a bunny." It's darned good. In fact it is among the best burgers I've had in my life.

BUT...

You ever been in a bar when two guys sitting at the opposite ends of the bar are hollering back and forth at each other showing off how funny they are? It never occurs to either of the screamers that one might take a seat by the other and drop it down a couple'a notches. Of course, they're trying to be the stars of the bar. So they don't do that.

Downed the burger and the beer. The loud Wells Brother brought the check. I paid it.

Now, here's the punchline. One of the two guys screaming across the bar was that Wells Bro that had me moving around the premises. Alright, I know I'm headed to sixty two. But I still appreciate having a good time. Sure, bars get loud. But you don't expect behavior from an owner like that. Especially appearing to be half smashed.

Good burger? You betcha. Atmosphere 0. Management: What management? Friendly hostess? Nope. Well, we've all wanted to be elsewhere, but you know what I mean.

Bottom line: Bodacious Burgers! Gettem to GO! OR, bring your shooter's plugs!

2  Thank MSullivan52

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I loved these burgers. If you go during happy hour you get 2.00 off appetizers. Casual relaxed atmosphere. Either go early or later as it fills up fast. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Your waiter will tell you they've been voted best burger in Tallahassee for five years. And it's well-deserved. Had the best burger of my life! The sweet potato fries are also amazing. I could not stop eating them. Go when you're really hungry-burgers are huge!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have now been to "Monks" twice. I am not a fan of meat but these burgers are absolutely the most delicious that I have ever tasted! We were just there last weekend and I had to try the Burger with PB&J ! Yes, peanut butter and jelly! It was so delicious, almost like heaven ! Can't wait till we go back to have another burger there when we go back to FSU this summer again.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

My daughter had dinner at Wells Brothers while visiting her cousin in Tallahassee a few months back. When we went up for FSU Orientation, she suggested we go for dinner. I am SO glad we did. The restaurant appears very small from the front, but there is plenty of seating, both inside and out. The menu has a good variety of burgers, sandwiches and salads. My daughter and I split The California (burger) and my husband had the "Holy Cow" sandwich. The food was excellent! I would definitely go back!