“How much can one person talk”

Avenue Eat and Drink Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 846 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Avenue Eat & Drink features a Southern Fusion menu with influences from FL, SC, LA and GA. Our Goal is to source 70% of our product locally and achieve a product that is 50% organic and green. We have a wide variety of appetizers, salads and entrees, an extensive wine and specialty martini list. We are open Monday-Sunday for lunch and dinner. Open Saturday and Sunday for brunch.
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family and I came to Tallahassee for my sons graduation. We were staying at the double tree and saw the restaurant next door, and took a look at the menu. We decided it looked to fit the occasion of the celebration of the accomplishment of graduating college, so we went ahead and made a reservation for the evening. Going into the restaurant we were greeted by a very friendly man. He seemed genuinely excited that we were there. You would think that we were the first people to come in for weeks he was so excited. Unfortunately being happy with the people we came in contact with ended there. Our server came over fairly quickly, but not as quickly as his mouth moved. This guy did not shut up from the moment he got to the table. And it wasnt that he was just talking about the food. He would not stop talking about himself. About how he knows more about wine than 90 percent of experts, and how he has his own business. Our food would have been there in half the time if he omitted the tedious details about himself that I really could care less about. As for the food. It was ok to disappointing. I had the wahoo which was pretty much fish in a bag with the bag probably having more flavor. My wife had the fish special which was salmon that was good, nothing spectacular. My son got the filet, it tasted like a filet, if its a good piece of filet you'd have to be a complete idiot to screw that up. The last bit that was the icing on the cake was that we were seated near the kitchen door, and every time that door flew open you just heard people screaming terrible things that I will not dare write on here. The worst part was that what appears to be the owner/manager was doing most of the yelling. Ripping into someone for what you would think was killing his mother. I have to say when I saw him come out I understood why he was so angry. He looked like the leprechaun from hell. My overall opinion is maybe in Tallahassee its good, but in Tampa it wouldnt last 6 months.

7  Thank fishingout

Reviewed July 15, 2011

A lunch recommendation to this restaurant was accepted and we are glad we did. The food was plentiful; the wait staff went out of their way to be warm and accommodating. We had the spicy shrimp appetizer (shared), chicken pot pie and an ahi tuni salad. All were flawless. Service was slow, but they sensed we were not in a rush. Easy parking in the area, but pay the meters, as the meter maids were everywhere.

2  Thank Lawrence2300
Reviewed July 7, 2011

What a find! Great drinks! Excellent service. Lambtini's are to die for. Flank Steak good. Fried Quail is excellent, but not much meat, as to be expected. Chocolate pecan pie is chocolate covered pecans on a crust....I'm in heaven!!! Sure hope this place hangs around.

2  Thank Crewsweeper
Reviewed June 14, 2011

On our way to New Orleans we used the trip advisor app on my phone to look up a place to eat lunch. This place got great reviews. From the moment we called to ask about reservations and attire ( we were in shorts and flip flops) to our exit from the restaurant, our experience was one of warmth, professionalism, and courteousness. Additionally, my husband really enjoyed the fish tacos, and my son devoured the short rib sandwich. In fact, although we were unfortunate enough to miss out on the chicken pot pie, we intend to drop by on our way back home from our trip, to sample the pie, and experience outstanding service once again.

2  Thank Dlcuevas
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were drawn to this downtown restaurant by the favorable reviews on this site. The menu descriptions were quite interesting, but the food was poorly executed and unappealing. Falaffel in one appetizer was overcooked and dry. An attracively plated scallop appetizer was flavorless and dull. A short rib entree was simply awful; a bland, grainy piece of boneless grey meat placed on a mashed potato/parsnip mixture without discernable flavor, A snapper special was slightly overcooked and underseasoned. I wondered whether anyone in the restauant ever tasted the food. It all sounded good on the menu, it all looked good on the plate, but no taste was worth paying for. A low quality dinner for 3 with a modest bottle of wine was over $200 with tip.
Given all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, we may have visited the restaurant on an "off night", but our experience was very poor.

6  Thank bbdoc