“Yum!”

Kacey's Home Cooking Buffet
Ranked #89 of 823 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Excellent value, excellent food! Extremely fresh, and plenty of it. The decor isn't the best, but it adds to the small diner ambiance. We'll be back! :-)

2  Thank Catherinepcs

Reviewed June 14, 2014

There is something for everyone, carnivore or vegetarian. There is fish, chicken, beef, loads of vegetables, tons of fruit, a salad bar, and wonderful desserts of every kind. There is even a sign that says you can ask for ice cream, if you so choose.

The decor is low-keyed, casual, a nice blend of radio music coming from the speakers, at a comfortable, relaxing volume. This is a good place for the family, and priced at only $7.50 (plus drink), during both lunch and dinner!

The moment I stepped through the door, there was a wonderfully pleasant aroma; clean, fresh, and mouth-watering. My first impression of the buffet was color; bright yellows, oranges, and greens, just as nature intended. Despite having arrived mid-afternoon (I was there just before 3:00 p.m.), the food trays were fresh and full, and there was an ever-present attendant keeping things clean, stirred, and filled.

I was so overwhelmed by the number of choices, I decided to try just a tablespoon of everything; green beans with new potatoes, corn off the cob, cheese grits, sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, butter beans, hush puppies, fried chicken, baked fish, baked chicken leg, and corn bread, topped off with a glass of sweet ice tea!

What really impressed me about the food was how perfectly seasoned everything was; leaving no bad after-tastes on the palate. I found no bland under-salting or briny over-salting; no heavy garlic tastes on the fish, and no over-doses of pepper on the chicken or fish. It was perfectly balanced! In addition, everything was cooked to perfect peak, no over-cooking into mush! I was truly impressed!

I hesitantly tried their cheese grits, and I really must say, they were delicious! Too often, these types of dishes tend to be heavy with fake cheese, and the grits can be sandy and undercooked. Not these! Again, perfectly balanced!

The sweet potatoes were also exceptionally flavored, just brown sugar and cinnamon, according to my server, but it was such a light and delicate flavor, it really brought out the wonderful sweet taste of the sweet potato itself.

The hush puppies were just the way I like them, light and fluffy, (not burdened down by heavy garlic), with just the slightest crisp on the outside. The fish was equally battered lightly, (not grease-filled), and fluffy white on the inside. Very satisfying!

The chicken was lightly crispy, (I had a thigh), a perfect gray meat inside! No pink under-cooking here, or grease-filled skin, this was Sunday-dinner-at-grandma's fine!

My server was perfectly attentive, and chatted with those who desired it, but went about her business as soon as a customer walked in. She was friendly, professional, and well-informed on the food preparation. She kept an eye on my ice tea glass and made sure I had as much as I wanted. She was very conscientious about keeping the dining area clean, keeping food off the floor as diners vacated their tables. So a special thank-you to 'Mary', for helping to make my dining experience a very pleasant one!

Over-all, they are doing everything right! The place had a small lull when I first arrived, but was already filling up again when I left 45 minutes later. I regret to say that I was so filled with all my lunch choices, I had no room for all the yummy desserts they were offering! But I will most definitely be back!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stumbled onto this family-owned gem on a business trip. Lunch and dinner buffet are $6.97 + tax, drinks extra. FULL buffet of salads, meats, vegetables, casseroles, desserts and much more. Everything is cooked in-house and served hot/cold in a super clean environment. Given the number of local retirees and families who are clearly regulars - greeted by names by the friendly staff - this is THE place to eat in the area if you want great food. The only place I'll be eating during this business trip - for lunch and dinner. If you're anywhere in the Tallahassee area, it's worth the drive - just off I-10 - to get here.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

The food isn't bad. There just isn't a huge selection and for a vegetarian it made it very difficult for me to have very many choices between 2 veggies and the salad bar. I will say this, the banana pudding was worth the price alone and I would go back just for it!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Kaceys has good food for a good price. It used to be $6.97 for meal and drinks, but in January 2014, they made it $9 for meal and drinks. Chicken and ground beef are the mainstays with home-cooked souther-style vegetables. Desserts include cake (dry), banana pudding, and jello. They also offer ice cream.
Used to be an old Steak and Ale restaurant, and had a rough renovation. Seems clean enough.