“If I lived closer, I'd eat here at least once a week.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #163 of 796 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Soul Vegetarian Restaurant & Catering1205D South Adams StreetTallahassee, Florida 32301850.893.8208 Open Monday thru Friday 11am to 3pm then 5:30pm to 10pm!Saturday 5:30pm to 10pm From Gaines street go south on Adams street 2 blocks, after crossing the railroad tracks we are the first building on the left! We share a building with A-1 Auto Parts! Send your email address to soulvegfl@gmail.com and we will send you a coupon for 50% off your meal and keep you updated on all of our specials! Thanks! Questions call Amatsiah 850.893.8208
Rhode Island
“If I lived closer, I'd eat here at least once a week.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Soul Vegeterian in Tallahassee is not to be missed, especially if you are vegan or vegetarian. We went recently for lunch on a Saturday.

Do not expect anything fancy decor-wise. I think this restaurant is in a building that was perhaps once an old car wash or auto repair shop. It is also not in the swankiest part of Tallahassee, either.

We visited here on a Saturday afternoon, and we were pleased to find out that the lunch platters are 50% off on the weekends, at least that's how I understood the special to be. You might want to call ahead to be sure I have my facts right.

I ordered BBQ tofu, and my fiancé ordered curry TVP (textured vegetable protein). Not the most tragic mistake in life, but we received just the opposite. I was fine with my BBQ TVP, and my fiancé was happy with his curry tofu. The macaroni and cheese, which obviously is not really cheese given this restaurant's anti-dairy ingredients, was fabulous! Based on this fact, I'm glad this restaurant is 110 miles away from us, or else I'd clearly have a soul vegetarian mac & cheese addiction!

The lady who took our order behind the counter was exceptionally nice and helpful. She was very friendly and gave us advice on certain ways to order. She also gave us the heads up that once we were inside the small dining area, there was a large group of teenage boys. This turned out to be no problem, because the chaperones these boys were with have them on a short string. They were very disciplined and there were no issues.

Only a few minor negatives to report: My food didn't seemed to be too hot in temperature. It was also a little stuffy in the dining area and I asked a girl who was bussing tables there if she could turn the fans on, but she wasn't sure how to turn them on. She said she'd find out, but she never did. There were no napkins where you helped yourself to utensils and water.

I recommend eating here and getting anything that includes the mac and cheese and collards. Loved the BBQ TVP.

The citrus ginger punch would clearly be another of my addictions if I lived closer. It is awesome! I've been dreaming about it ever since.

Save room for the dairy and lactose free ice cream they have. It is made from soy, so it definitely has a little different basic taste than you would with traditional ice cream, but I enjoyed it. I got a scoop of vanilla and mint.

All in all, a great experience here. I would definitely recommend you try it. We will be back!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Los Angeles, California
“Best Vegan/Veggie Place in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

If you like southern soul food but dislike bacon, hamhocks, or other traditional trappings of soul food that may lead to later gastrointestinal discomfort, look no further! SoulVeg, as it is called by locals, offers some of the best vegan mac and cheese and collards you are likely to find. During lunch hour, this tiny restaurant will have a line of customers ranging from FSU and FAMU students, young professionals, politicians from the Capitol, and local business owners from the All Saints district. The employees are overwhelmingly friendly, and the food is prepared in a timely manner. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited April 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Inexpensive, fast, and delicious.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I travel to Tallahassee on business many times each year and I was excited to find this vegetarian restaurant. I had their daily dinner with BBQ tofu and took it back to my hotel. I'm not a vegetarian, but I really enjoyed a break from the usual business dinner fare. I will definitely go back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
South Florida, Florida
“FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This might be my new favorite vegan restaurant. The food was amazingly delicious and real stick-to-your-ribs kind of food. You order at a counter from a large menu behind the counter. They don’t have all the items every day; each day is something different (like today the veggies were glazed carrots and collard greens).

I opted for the lunch “platter”. For only $10, I got a wonderful, hearty vegan meal. It’s a choice of meat substitutes (I chose the curry tofu), vegetable rice or mac & cheese (I chose rice), and collards or glazed carrots (how could I NOT get the collards?). And, a piece of cornbread.

There are also other menu items – like daily specials, pizza, salads, etc. – it’s a big menu with something for everyone.

After you order, you sit on the other side in a very nice, sunny dining area and they bring out your food. It was super clean, and had the utensils and napkins at the back. There is also a big thing of water (serve yourself).

My food was out of this world. The curry tofu was perfect. I sometimes shy away from curry because I don’t like spicy food – this was not spicy at all; it was flavorful and the tofu was so good. The collard greens were wonderful too, as was the rice. I really enjoyed the cornbread with my meal.

Both sets of my grandparents were from the deep south, and as kids we grew up eating collard greens, but, there was always some kind of big pork-foot or the like cooked with them. I had not eaten collards in so many years, and I was truly amazed at how good they were without any meat. I loved that.

I am only in Tallahassee for 2 days, and I can’t wait to go back tomorrow. The people who work there are very nice and soft-spoken; they are happy to answer any questions you have about the food. The prices were very, very reasonable. There is a parking lot in the front, and they have free wi-fi.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank tczig
Toledo
“Excellent variety”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not many veg choices in Tallahassee, so lucky to have found this. Very helpful staff in selection as they had a much different menue than i am used to. Had a live salad with curds, and split pea soup. Excellent, fresh and great price point.

Visited February 2013