“Super anniversary dinner”
Review of A La Provence

A La Provence
Reserve with OpenTable
A La Provence is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 801 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: A La Provence offers Classic French Cuisine in an elegant, refined style. We specialize in Fresh Seafood and Hand-Cut all Natural Beef. Our service is precise, professional and attentive.
Tallahassee, Florida
“Super anniversary dinner”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I had not been to A La Provence since it changed from Albert's several years ago and we decided that our 48th anniversary would be an appropriate occasion for an upscale meal in an upscale setting. We were not disappointed.

Albert's had long been one of our favorite restaurants for special occasions and we anticipated that we would have a similar experience. We ordered an inexpensive white pinot grigio from an unfamiliar winery and were very pleased with it. It was pleasantly sweet but not too much so and served well as both a cocktail and dinner wine. What surprised me is that I was not given an opportunity to taste it before both glasses were served.

Our server asked if we had been there before and when we told her it had been a long time, she advised that things had changed substantially. but did not explain why as she ran down the list of specials for the evening. Initially, I had planned on having a filet but she strongly suggested the strip steak of which I am not a huge fan. After describing that it was served with a mushroom reduction sauce, I decided to give it a try. My wife selected a baked chicken with some other sauce.

When the meal arrived, I was stunned. The steak was huge but it was perfectly cooked and was, without question, the best strip I have ever eaten. It was incredibly tender as tender as any filet mignon I have eaten and the reduction sauce perfectly complimented the flavor of the meat. The steak was served with French country baked potato slices which were crusty and succulent and worked very well with the sauce.

I have a fairly hearty appetite and I went to work on that huge steak. It must have been at least 16 ounces, maybe a little more. By the time I had gotten half way through it, it was clear that I would not be able to finish it. It is rare that I have ever been unable to finish a steak and usually when it happens, it's because the steak was not very good. In this case, it was just too big so we took it home and my wife had it for breakfast the next morning, agreeing with me that it was excellent.

She also said her chicken was outstanding and the sauce complimented it as well as my reduction sauce had complimented my steak. Throughout the meal, our server checked back on us regularly. We opted not to have desert and since we were taking a large piece of steak home with us, she did not offer.

Other reviews have been critical of the setting in a strip mall or the restaurant's ambiance but we found no problem with either. But then, we do not consider ourselves to be aloof gormets who expect to find New York quality French restaurants in Tallahassee, Florida. We're certainly not going to spend $100 on a bottle of wine though we can certainly afford it. We are simply looking for good food and good wine in a decent setting. We got that and more with this meal.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank lental

Tallahassee, Florida
“Great local restaurant for events”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I had an event here recently for a bay shower for couples and it was awesome. We had heavy hors'doevres for 50 people and everyone enjoyed them. The service was great - Charlie is the best!

• Visited August 2014
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Unique Soup and Salad at A La Province”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Wanted to try something different in this French restaurant. I started with the Cold Squash Soup. It had coconut milk puree, nectarines, peaches and almonds. Totally yummy! My fiancé had the Orange Salad and that was great, too. For the main course, we had mahi with risotto, with crabmeat, couli (red sauce) - called Fruits De Mere. It was very tasty. Quite a nice meal.

• Visited June 2014
Tallahassee
“Quality of Food and Service Makes Up for Poor Ambiance”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Two friends and I tried A La Provence tonight for the first time. The service was absolutely impeccable, definitely 5 start service. I'd give the food close to 5 stars. I had the Florida Salade (great citrus flavor with goat cheese) and the crab cake with fried green tomato on top--not my favorite lump crab cake in town but very good. One of my friends that the escargot casserole and a chopped salad. She loved both her dishes. My other friend had the chicken entrée, and she said it was the best chicken dish she had ever eaten in her entire life. The homemade bread with butter and pesto was also excellent. While we were too full for dessert, we went ahead an ordered the blueberry coulis with whipped cream and shortbread crust. Even though I was stuffed this dessert was sublime. I can't even imagine how good it would have tasted if I had been hungry. So why only 4 stars instead of 5? The decor. I felt like volunteering my services as a decorator to spruce up the dated and awful décor: tired sconces, boring paintings poorly placed, fake flower bouquets, ugly stone feature wall (the 80's called and wants their wall back). It would take very little money to spruce the place up and make the décor as stunning as the food and service. Are you listening owners of A La Provence?

• Visited July 2014
“Phenomenal”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We were very impressed with our visit. Our first and second courses were out of this world. The plating was beautiful and made us not want to eat it...for a brief second. There was a layer of flavors that came out with each bite. Props to the chef for taking our palate's on a wonderful ride. Our table had the Boeuf Du Jour, House Cut Black Angus Filet Mignon, and Lobster for our main courses. All were cooked to perfection. Service was great and the food came out in a timely manner. Our overall experience was fantastic and we highly recommend. Our compliments to the chef!