“Cool - Hip - but too Noisy”

Aloft Tallahassee Downtown
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I loved the hotel and really thought everything was great but the outside noise level coming in was just a bit much. We had a meeting in one of the neat meeting rooms, but had to strain to hear the speaker due to the street noise that was overwhelming. I wish there were some kind of noise resistant panels you could put up and down and this would make it a FABULOUS hotel! I would recommend this to someone that wasn't a light sleeper like myself, being so close to the public bus station too.......

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank pcaqua

Reviewed October 26, 2010

I stayed at aloft for a weekend with my family. The hotel itself is coolly decorated—it’s obvious that the décor and overall feel were borrowed from the trendy boutique hotels that are popular in New York City and South Beach. It also has the cute touches signature to the W brand, such as dog treats at the entrance and a swanky lobby.

The rooms are comfortable, but probably best serve a very particular clientele. For example, my parents and I requested connecting rooms. Apparently those aren’t standard, so we were placed in a regular room that connected to a handicap room. The handicap room was totally serviceable, but the fact that the hotel didn’t seem able to accommodate large parties could be a potential red flag to families with children or groups of travelers. The rooms completely reflect the boutique hotel style—they are on the small side, with no seating area and tight bathroom and sink space. Don’t plan on unpacking your suitcase, but do ask for extra Bliss products (they are the best!) and do take advantage of the mini fridge.

Don’t expect valet or room service—the frills at this hotel lie purely in its aesthetics. But it is a cute place to stay for a night or two with a spouse or friend. It’s modern, functional and about as chic as Tallahassee gets.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank courtney7888
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Tally has come a long way with this cool hotel!! You can really hang out with friends have food and cocktails in this trendy hotel (pool table and fireplace in lobby). Very cozy rooms and a friendly staff! We had our pet with us and they brought up a dog bed and treats....great pet friendly hotel!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This hotel has nice lobby space, with plenty of room to hang out with colleagues and talk or have a drink. The sleeping room was nice and efficiently laid out in a small space. My complaints are all about the front desk. The round desk was understaffed, and people could approach it from all sides, rather than wait in line. We had pre-arranged a shuttle ride to our meeting, using the hotel's free shuttle, and they didn't take our timeline seriously, making us late for our 9 am meeting. The shuttle driver didn't know the area, and was unconcerned about our timeline, too.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
FSUNOLES6, Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

Dear jedwards_10,

Thank you for talking the time to share with us your comments on your recent stay. Our re:mix lobby space gets many compliments from our guests especially those that enjoy time with friends and colleagues. It is great to hear you enjoyed the layout and design of our rooms. Please accept our apologies on your experience with our desk and shuttle service. We have reviewed your comments with our team and have new steps in place to insure the check in and shuttle experience exceeds your expectations in the future. If you find yourself back in Tallahassee, please give us another chance to show you what our team can do.

If you would like to speak with us directly about your experience, please feel free to email me at bruce@mckibbonhotels.com.

Bruce Baerwalde
Manager

Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband and I thought we'd try this newer hotel for the Samford/FSU game since we are fans of Starwood hotels. For those of you who have spent much time in Tallahassee, you know there are not many nice hotels to choose from. We booked a room a few weeks back, then cancelled and rebooked the reservation a week prior to checkin taking advantage of a promotion Aloft had on their website which knocked our rate down. When we were trapped at work late on Friday, we called to let the hotel staff we'd be in late (around 10). During the call, the front desk person proceeded to tell us that we had 2 reservations and would have to pay for both. Note-we had CONFIRMATION in our Starwood account reflecting the cancellation, but the hotel couldn't "see" it for some reason. After 18 minutes on the phone, they finally cleared things up but never told me why they got this reservation information wrong nor did they apologize for getting us worked up.

When we got there, the front desk was awesome-very cool vibe on the first floor. There was also plenty of $5 parking. We got to our room (right next to the elevator) and were not really impressed. It was clean and all, but just felt really cheap to me. The room smelled sort of funny, had really cheap carpet, and lacked central a/c. We had a silly a/c unit on the floor by a window which I haven't seen in a hotel I have stayed in for a long time. The bed was not comfortable. My husband and I both felt spring pushing into our backs. They also did some strange things-for example, the king sized bed ha 3 pillows not 4. Also, they provided 1 bottle of water, not 2. The large flat screen tv was nice, but it was strange that they didn't include the cords to connect things to it.

After the game, we tried the bar in the hotel. It was ok-pretty cheap but smelled like burnt food. It kind of made me eyes water. The little leather couches all over were a nice touch.

We bought a few things in their little cafe for breakfast: Diet Dr Pepper: $3, small fruit cup: $2, cereal: $2, bacon egg & cheese English muffin: $6.

I just wasn't a fan overall. Even though it's a little dated, I am going to opt for the Doubletree for our next game. This hotel just felt like they were skimping too much.

• Stayed: July 2010
BrianLeonard, Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2010

Dear sssdub,

Aloha and thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We definitely enjoy being the newest hotel in downtown Tallahassee and glad you were able to take advantage of a promotional offer we were running. I am sorry for the struggles you had with your duplicate reservation and frustrating call with our Aloha desk, but we have already taken action with our team to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. You’ll be happy to hear that we a new package arriving soon to accommodate guest requests to hook up to the plug-n-play stations for the flat panel televisions in the room! I have also shared your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance teams about your room to make sure we serve guests better in the future. Being a new hotel we are still tweaking a few things to make sure our guests have the most enjoyable stay. Next time you are in town, give us another shot, we’d love to have the opportunity to earn your loyalty.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help in any way.
Best regards,
Brian Leonard
brian@mckibbonhotels.com

Reviewed August 27, 2010

I travel quite a lot. So when I find a hotel that offers nice beds, walk-in glass showers, bliss products, free wifi, plasma tvs, downtown location, pool, snack/coffee bar in the morning and a cool bar in the lobby with sofas, pool tables and free wifi that is also under $100 per night, then....so far have stayed a few times. enjoyed it every time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Last week I stayed at the Tallahassee Aloft hotel for the 2nd time this year. This quaint but charming hotel lives up to its reputation as a Starwood brand. I was impressed by its decor, but more so by the comfort of the rooms and the friendliness/professionalism of the staff.

In particular, the Sales Director was especially instrumental in my staying at Aloft a 2nd time. After my 2nd stay I will book all of my future stays with Aloft. I recommend this hotel to everyone traveling to Tallahassee for business or pleasure.

-MN-