“Aloft- not my bag, baby”

Aloft Tallahassee Downtown
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Miami
“Aloft- not my bag, baby”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've stayed here a couple times, most recently for Parent's Weekend when, truth be told, we were lucky to get a hotel room because Tallahassee is swarming with parental units. The first thing you notice when you walk in, is a nice scent of lemongrass and the dog dishes by the entrance. The lobby is a big, multi-use area with the front desk, next to gift shop, next to snack shop and the bar, sitting area and pool table beyond. It does not have the cozy, quiet feel to it, but the hotel takes it's inspiration from airlines, so it's modern, techno-forward and sleek. The elevators have pads that make impressions when you stand on them. Our room, a corner one, was nice and quiet. There is a desk area, where you can plug in your electronics and the bed was comfy, with a large flat screen TV. The closet area is open, with places to hang up and a magazine rack, a safe and coffee maker. The bathroom and sink area is modern and the shampoo was a canister stuck inside the shower that is a shampoo/conditioner combo (which I don't like) by Bliss. There was a part of the shower door with caulking that had come off and was mildewed- that was kind of gross and there was a q-tip that sat on our hallway floor (possibly dropped by housekeeping) that sat there for days, so cleanliness isn't a top priority. And one day our room had been "made up", but we could barely tell. The pillows had been left off the bed. There is a pool- I swam and it was cold. There is coffee available in the lobby. Overall, I felt lucky to get a hotel room on this weekend, but would probably not return to Aloft if I had other options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Glee47
JonathanBGenMgr, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us! Of course I am always disappointed when the design and "feel" of our hotel isn't someone's "cup of tea". I understand however we all have our preferred style of decor,etc, so I completely understand where you are coming from. I do want to however, assure you that cleanliness is a priority around here, and I have addressed the concerns you shared with our housekeeping team and the leader of that department to make sure that we are on top of every detail. Thanks for mentioning some of the things that you did like as well and please know you are always welcome to come back and give us another opportunity to provide you with an exceptional lodging experience. All our best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
USA
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Just got thru reading one of the other reviews and they took the words right out of my mouth. The comforter was un-useable. It looked as though they had washed it and it was all clumped up and thick in one place and paper thin in others. It really was not worth using. The heating and ac system has a thermostat that only gives you the choice of AUTO. What the means is that no matter what the temp you set it to, it runs heat sometimes and cool others. It really should not be installed this way. It is uncomfortable while sleeping and trying to stay warm as the outside temp was below freezing. I am in the business of HVAC and this is not a proper installation. The walls of the room looked as though they had been patched from hole after hole after hole. They were sorry patch jobs and were not painted or textured properly. The walls are paper thin as well and you can hear everything around you. Other than that, the room was comfortable but it really should not have these kinds of problems for a rate well over $100 per night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Larry8241
Thank you for sharing some comments with us about your recent stay at our Aloft Tallahassee Downtown. As the General Manager of the hotel, I want to apologize on behalf of my entire team that we were not able to exceed your expectations while you were here. I was happy to ready that you rated our service and location 5 stars! It helps us tremendously to be able to share feedback on both sides of the equation. I am happy to be able to share with you that we just replaced every comforter in the building! There was indeed a problem with the quality of the comforter we were using and I agree that the appearance was unacceptable. Starwood worked very hard to find a replacement that would hold up during the laundry process. As a result our beds now look and feel fantastic. I am having our engineering team look into the HVAC issues. Your comments will make it possible for us to improve so that we can exceed all guests expectations. Please come back and give us another opportunity to show you just what the Aloft Tallahassee Downtown is all about.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I spent one night with my husband at the Aloft in Tallahassee and we were both very disappointed.
We saw the pictures of the hotel and read some of the reviews and so we decided to stay for one night at this place.

When we arrived at the hotel the employee at the front desk was very friendly, recognized my husband as a Gold member and checked us in very quickly.

When we entered the room we were surprised in a positive way (within the first minutes), but then we recognized some things we were not very happy about. The beds looked like already being used, the down comforter consisted of huge down clumps (I don't know if the staff put them in the washer or what happened), you couldn't really use the comforter as a comforter.

The room temperature was unacceptable (too warm, the AC was turned off), so we turned on the AC and went down to the bar, because we were both very hungry. We sat down and waited for more than 10 minutes, but nobody was taking care of us. So I went to the front desk and asked one of the employees where we can get something to drink and eat. I had to go back and force between kitchen area, front desk and the bar in order to be able to order food and drinks for more than 10 minutes. The staff seemed to be not really interested to accept our order. It took another 25 minutes when we finally received food and drinks (just 2 bottles of beer).

When we returned to our room the room temperature was nice and cool, but we had to turn the AC off, because it was too noisy (the AC was extremely loud and was blowing in your face all the time while we were lying in our beds). After 2 hours of sleep we both woke up because it was very warm in the room again. We turned the AC on and couldn't sleep for the next hour because of the noise of the AC. I think we slept 4 hours in total this night, the noise of the AC was unacceptable!

I will definitively not come back to this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katrin_B_68
Please accept my apology for the delay in responding to your comments. First of all thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate hearing from our guests when the feedback is positive and of course when we have fallen short of meeting your expectations. I was happy to hear that your first impression of the hotel was a good one and that our front desk talent was friendly upon arrival. Thank you for your comments regarding the bedding! We did encounter some manufacturing issues with our comforters lumping up and really not looking very nice after the laundry process! I am happy to tell you that the brand addressed these issues as quickly as possible and our hotel has just received brand new comforters for every guest room! I will be chatting with our F&B team to ensure that we are correcting any services issues when visiting our bar! Thank you again for your time and we would love to have another opportunity to show you an experience that will exceed your expectations.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Because of this Aloft, I have been looking for Aloft Hotels at any destination we travel to. I love the efficiency in the design of our king room. Yea, the room was a little small, but we got around in it just fine- shoot, we aren't moving in, just visiting! The room's décor, lighting, and doors were modern and impressive. The details and completely thought out design still impress me (honestly we stayed 10/2012, but that option was no longer available on the drop down menu while writing this review). Comfortable bed and linens. Great coffee maker in room. Polite and fast service. Noisy downstairs with kids in pool and bar in lounge, but it was fine by me. The lounge was upbeat and alive and my room was quiet so it was the best of both worlds.. I can't believe I didn't write a review sooner. I thought I did it while there!

Room Tip: There is a nearby Greyhound bus station, so beware of the occasional sketchy character walking aroun...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I wanted to write and thank you for sharing your fantastic comments about your recent stay at our Aloft. We love hearing from our guests especially when they enjoy their stay as much as you seem to have! I am happy to hear that we are representing our brand in such a way that you now look for Alofts whereever you travel. I will be sharing your comments with my team so that they will also know how much you appreciated our level of service combined with how well you enjoyed your room and overall experience. Come back to see us!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This was one of this new affordable places with some style and swagger. Located close to FSU campus, it is a much better scene than one would expect from this price point. Breakfast, a cool bar area, funky furnishings. Kind of like a W without all the music, make up and push-up bras.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank michaeljaygoldberg
Thank you for taking the time to share some really cool comments about your recent stay at our Aloft Tallahassee Downtown. As the hotel's General Manager I love hearing when our guests enjoy our atmosphere and the value of everything else that the hotel has to offer. We hope to see you the next time you return to Tallahassee!
Dallas, TX
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Room smelled of dog pee and front desk staff was not very friendly. All pet friendly rooms should not have any carpet and be just painted concrete floors. No Valet or bellman at this location. Not happy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
James H, Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. I apologize for the odor in your guest room. Please reach out to me directly so I can obtain additional information to ensure this room is not rented until we correct the problem. You may reach me at 850 513-0313.

James H

Operations Manager
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have only stayed at Aloft properties a couple of times. They all seem to be consistent, and very accommodating. These properties are very trendy and a little different than most hotels you will stay in. So expect a little difference.
The rooms are set up very different. Hard to explain but they have a huge flat screen tv mounted on the wall directly across from the bed. The TV also had a control box for you to plug in your media device to play movies or music through the TV, simply plug and play. Nice feature for those of us who watch our programs via laptop or smartphone.
Breakfast is not complimentary, however, they do several options for you to choose from and order from a deli and coffee bar. The whole lobby is set up so that you may dine in the lobby or take the food back to your room. The prices are reasonable, especially for fresh made food.
For those that like a drink in the evening, they have a nice lounge. Once again it is right in the lobby and very accommodating. Want to play some pool, they have a pool table in the lounge as well.
The fitness center is also very nice and accommodating.
I just love this hotel and the completeness of everything.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay with us back in December. I love it when guests are able to express that they loved everything about the hotel. I will be shairing your comments with my team. They love to hear from our guests! So glad that one of your first Aloft experiences was with us and that we exceeded your expectations. Come back and see us again!