“SPG Platinum Guest says - "only stay if you need points"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Tallahassee Downtown

and 1 more site!
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Charlotte, NC
“SPG Platinum Guest says - "only stay if you need points"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

Although the location and actual rooms and are great, the staff was very immature and lacked the social skills needed to be Front Desk agents. I found the staff to be very aloof and could care less about the image portrayed (maybe this is the motivation SPG used in developing the “Aloft” brand? Aloft = Aloof??).
Not sure if my amenity points were added as I had to remind him of that, was presented with my keys with “here ya go” – very unprofessional.
Being hip does not equate to bad customer service or severe immaturity – enough said.
Hotel = good location, comfortable beds, “kiddie” staff in desperate need of new line of work – certainly not the hotel service industry.

Room Tip: stay at the Double Tree instead!!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed here in the beginning of May for a work related event. I was very pleased with the hotel and what it offered. The rooms were very spacious and the beds were comfortable. The rooms are very modern. This hotel reminded me of one of the hotels I stayed in while in Beijing (this hotel is international). One plus I liked is the heavy room door. I've stayed at alot of hotels and noticed that the doors are thin and let noise in. Not the case here.

The hotel is in downtown and within walking distance to the State capitol (10 minute walk). A continental breakfast is offered but not included. I didn't know this and walked out with a muffin..lol.

Room Tip: Book early
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

I have the opportunity to travel all over the State of Florida for business. I had researched this hotel quite a bit prior to arrival. I had noticed that there was no middle of the road. Travelers either really loved it or really disliked it. I was willing to give it a try as it appeared to be really hip and trendy.

I arrived later in the evening and had been traveling all day and was rather tired. We pulled up to the front door and looked around for the valet. After speaking with the front desk clerk, we learned there was not one. It was dark and late and my co-worker and I really didn't feel comfortable walking thru the parking garage in downtown Tallahassee. She left me with the bags at the front desk. It was also at this time we learned there was no restaurant or breakfast option within the hotel. Fortunately, we had dinner at the nearby Harry's seafood. A MUST if you have the chance and had breakfast at the Broken Egg which was also a great find. I highly recommend both.
I glanced around. The lobby area is definitely hip and trendy with great lighting and seating areas. There is a pool table and a bar along with a stock market-like ticker with the latest news near the front desk to keep you occupied as you check in.

While I was waiting for my co-worker, two other guests approached the front desk with their camera. They asked the clerk if he owned the vehicle in the parking garage that had its window left open. He replied that he hadn't. The guests responded, "Well that's good because there are huge rats crawling in and out of the window feasting on the McDonald bags that were left in the backseat of the car. Do you want to see a picture?" He looked at his co-worker and laughed. He took a look at the picture but didn't apologize or try to contact anyone else for assistance. I can only imagine what the hotel manager would have thought. They both seemed very young/immature and had obviously not been trained very well.

My co-worker returned shortly thereafter. I truly hoped that she hadn't seen the rats as I knew we were not going to be continuing our stay. Fortunately she hadn't so we headed up to our room.
The elevator and hallways had great lighting and decor. I was hopeful my room would be as well. The bathroom was great with a clear glass shower and a Kohler vessel sink, Tried and Blue spa toilletries and bottled water.

The sleeping area was reminiscent of my college dorm room. The desk had a plastic desk chair and the walls were painted concrete block. The platform bed wasn't very comfortable and the pillows weren't as soft as I like but I did enjoy the built-in lighting in the headboard. The wireless internet was included in the room rate. I was able to get online quickly and had a good internet connection. The tv was good sized and wall mounted and I did scan the channels quickly. My husband would have been pleased with it which is always a compliment.

I had a view of the pool which looked very inviting. It's too bad that I had arrived so late and had to be out so early as I think I would have enjoyed the pool and gym.

As we were driving away, my co-worker and I decided that maybe we're getting too old to be trendy?

We enjoy luxury accommodations that include valet service, a fine dining restaurant onsite, and room service.

Aloft is more like a college dormitory with an R.A. at the front desk. It probably could be fun for the right crowd but really didn't meet our needs on this trip.

2 Thank ablonde1
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear ablonde1,

You can be trendy; we just need to find you the correct fit. Starwood W Hotel's could be your fit. They are a full service hotel and have valet and dining you were looking for in a brand. I am sorry you did not see that we do, offer breakfast every morning! We also have great bites at the W xyz Bar in the hotel. Our flat bread ROCKS! Breakfast items, fresh made breakfast sandwiches, whole fruits, strawberry parfait, and cook to order oatmeal, and other grab and go options that are very convenient to our travelers. If you would like to contact me to share any other comments about our talent, please feel free to email or call. I love your picture of our pool you took, thanks!

At your service,

patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com
850-577-5900 direct line
Bluffton, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

First, the good: Nice parking for $5.00 a night. Decor is bright and breezy in the lobby, hallways and the hotel rooms. Check-in was quick and pleasant. There was a very large shower in room and a docking station for electronics was nice.
Now, the not-so-good: The duvet on the bed was badly stained in two places. The bed was extremely hard, uncomfortable, and the mattress did not completely cover the metal frame. The sliding door to the bathroom made an awful screeching noise when opened. This hotel allows pets. A dog in the room across the hall howled and barked for 45 minutes as we tried to sleep. I finally called the front desk and was told that the owner would be notified. After 45 more minutes of the dog barking and howling, I called again and asked to be moved to another room. My request was granted and my wife and I moved to another room around midnight. The second room was an improvement, but the bed was still too hard for us. Do not expect a complimentary hot breakfast as offered at many of this hotels competitors because there isn't one. Your choice is over-priced bagels and yogurt. The front desk person at check-out hurried us through and did not thank us for our business or wish us a good day. Overall, I expected a lot more for $180 a night. I cannot recommend this hotel. I believe you can do better for the money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thom235
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear thom235,

Hip, trendy, dog lovers = Aloft Tallahassee. We do apologize for the dog, which wanted his voice heard while his owners were out. I can see why you did not get any rest. We are so sorry! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We would appreciate a return visit to Tallahassee.

Patsy Pagan
Aloft General Manager
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2011

Ok, I admit it right up front - I am 46 years old, and I don't like the new aloft hotel chain idea after staying at my first one a few weeks ago. Check in was efficient and friendly, and as a Platinum SPG member, I got a free coffee coupon (wow!). The lobby was not traditional, but certainly seemed to cater to 20-30 year olds, and happy hour time was busy and jovial at the bar.

Beware, the hotel is adjacent to both the large, city bus station and the Greyhound bus station, with accompanying noise. Fortunately, they both ceased operating about 9:30 p.m. Hotel is right on the main street, and a few, easy walking blocks from the Capitol. Plenty of restaurants about.

The room was small, but cozy for a solo traveler. For 2 of more people, forget it. You will still see me at the Sheraton and Westin Hotels of the Starwood chain, as I think it it the best international chain. Unlikely to see me at another aloft...unless I need the SPG points.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PAQ
Dear PAQ,

Your comments are spot on with the Aloft Brand. Our clients do range from all ages, but the music and the vibe is not for everyone. I appreciate that it is not for you, but so many love the Aloft and the new hotel concept. We are not the cookie cutter hotel and thank you for giving us a try! Don't forget about our Westin hotels, more traditional.

"The lobby was not traditional, but certainly seemed to cater to 20-30 year olds, and happy hour time was busy and jovial at the bar."

Thanks PAQ! Happy Travels....

Patsy Pagan
Dothan, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

Aloft is a reflection of the new trend in "concept" hotels. The lobby is breezy and nightclub-ish. Colorful, streamlined decor. We were traveling with a boys soccer team, and they thoroughly enjoyed the pool table in the lobby and the pool. Guest rooms are creatively designed - beds comfy - techies will relish the amenities from flat-screen TVs to amply "hook ups" for all your gadgets to the cordless room phone and Moonbeam alarm clock. Bliss bath products are a big plus. Book online and you'll save considerably over booking over the phone. Rates were very reasonable. We'll stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
marybdowney,

What great news you send our hotel! We are the new surprise to Tallahassee and thank you for sharing these great comments about your hotel stay. We look forward to your return and keep passing the good word about our hotel to friends and family!

Aloft Downtown Tallahassee
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

We liked our stay at aloft a lot! Very friendly staff checked us in while we were in town for a friend's wedding. Parking was easy and the pool was nice. Trendy looking lobby with club mixes of popular songs and the bar made great drinks, making it a nice place to hang out. The rooms were in a cool, European style layout. The beds were comfortable and the hotel itself was very quiet. It wasn't a totally traditional hotel, but that was a good thing. We'd definitely stay there again! Only downside is no free breakfast (just coffee), but there was free internet, which was a big plus.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy M
TRwheretonext,

We are the new trendy spot in Tallahassee! I love our rooms too. Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us! Come BACK SOON!

Aloft Downtown Tallahassee