“Not Ready for Business” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, D.C.
“Not Ready for Business”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

If there were any decent hotel chain, in no way would the hotel open its doors to the public. However, this was not the case unfortunately. My parents have a condo next door, so we have watched this building go up over the last couple of years. It is beautiful, and the lobby does not disappoint.

We planned on staying here for two nights with our toddlers, and requested 2 cribs 2 months ago when we booked our reservation. At check in at 5 pm, we confirmed that two cribs would be in the room, especially since the boys were exhausted from traveling all day. We got to our floor, and there was one pack n' play. We called the front desk immediately and they said they would fix the problem. After 30 minutes, we met our family in the hotel restaurant for dinner, but stopped at the front desk to relay the importance of needing 2 cribs in our room, since our kids have never slept in a bed, and we didn't want to experiment out of town. They said no problem. After an incredibly slow meal, we left my family early to get the kids down because they were falling asleep at the table.

We got upstairs, no cribs. We called the front desk 4 times, and no answer. My husband went downstairs to ask again and they said they were working on it. In the meantime, we waited for housekeeping to make up the sofabed. When my boys finally fell asleep at 9 pm (4 hours after we checked in), there was a knock on the door with a crib, which woke my kids. Not okay.

The next morning, we left the hotel at 9:30 am to go to my parents and when we returned at 4:30, our room had not been touched. I thought housekeeping was standard at hotels, but maybe not?

A few other points to note:
-All of the H and C on the sink and shower faucets were backwards, so this could be confusing and dangerous for kids.
-The cream carpets were FILTHY from the ongoing construction in the building. Even though the hotel is a mere month old, the stained carpets made it feel old.
-There are NO DIVIDERS on the balconies, which is a major security issue. There was a family in the room next to us that we say walking on our balcony. If our sliding door had been opened or unlocked, they could've waltzed right in to say hello. I am hoping they have plans to install privacy dividers or rails ASAP.

With all of that being said, I have faith in this hotel. I will certainly not stay here for a good 12 months until it works out all of these kinks, but I have faith that with enough feedback, it will come around. It is a beautiful space in a beautiful spot on the beach, it's just a shame they opened prematurely.

1 Thank ccnolan
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Ccnolan, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns as a result of your recent stay with us. We would like to apologize for not meeting your request for two cribs on so many occasions. This is most certainly not the service attitude we would like to provide to all our guests. We are grateful for your feedback in this regard, so we may have the opportunity to address the issue and eliminate it, so it does not cause inconvenience to other guests in the future. When it comes to the dividers on the balconies, we would like for you to rest assured that such will be placed on the balconies at the hotel, so the necessary comfort and safety is present for guests to better enjoy their visit onsite. While we are very sorry we were not quite ready to meet your expectations at this point in time, we are glad to hear you will be willing to give our hotel another try in the future. We are looking forward to the opportunity to serve you again upon your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotel is located in a great location in Surfside and the rooms are large and very nice. My wife and I were very excited for our vacation there, but we were extremely disappointed as the hotel was not ready to open. There was no hot water, and at times no water in the rooms. The staff was not ready to handle the situation, although they were very nice. Also, the spa, gym, and roof top bar were not yet open. I was extremely disappointed that we were not notified in advance of these issues, and that many of the ammenities of the hotel were not yet available.

Management was able to move us to another hotel for our last two nights, although overall our experience was terrible. I suggest not staying here for the next month or so, until they are able to work out all of these issues. Also, Management never apologized directly to us.

I would potentially be open to staying here again, as the property is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and brand new. The roof-top is also really nice.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Andrew C, we are grateful for the time you have taken out of your day to express your opinion of our new hotel as a result of your recent visit. We appreciate the kind feedback you have shared in regards to location, which does not only offer direct beach access from hotel premises, but also provides an easy accessibility to the town of Surfside and Bal Harbour. It is also nice to read that our room accommodations have met your expectations when it comes to their size, layout, and comfort. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the lack of hot water during your visit. This happening was the result of an incident, which unfortunately was out of our control and took time to be repaired. There is however, no excuse big enough to explain the inconvenience such incident causes to hotel guests, especially as it is related to a mandatory point of service that must be a given in any lodging operation. The fitness center at the hotel is scheduled to open in January and the spa center should open in March 2014. We are very sorry we failed to communicate this information to you in a timely manner. We are thrilled to learn that despite your disappointing experience for all of the above reasons you are willing to give our hotel another try in the future, when all of the issues experienced during your first visit will be eliminated and would not affect your experience with the hotel. We cannot wait to welcome you and your family back for a second stay, which we assure you, would be memorable and joyful.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and rooms are beautiful and the staff were very nice. We arrived on Thursday afternoon. By the time we got back to our room after dinner; we were informed that a pipe had burst and that there would be no showers. We were very patient but the problem was not resolved. We had to use the coffee pot in the room and cold water from the bathroom sink to shower. Two days of this was plenty for us. We think the hotel has huge potential. However, I think they opened before the construction was finished and there are lots of problems.
On the bright side, our room was large and comfortable. The bed and pillows were perfect. We had the breakfast buffet in the Restuarant. The French chef was very friendly and welcoming. My husband loved his omelet. The salmon and the Danish were fresh and wonderful. Thank you, Scott and Claudia, for handling our/the hotel's problems with grace and professionalism.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Shmutzy, it has been a pleasure to serve you during your time with us. We are glad you have enjoyed our room accommodation and that our staff members contributed to a joyful experience on property. We apologize for the inconvenience you must have been caused as a result of the pipe accident on premises. We sincerely hope that the comfort and spaciousness of your suite in addition to the comfortable bedding and pillows has helped outweigh this negative experience. Thank you for the wonderful words you had to share of our restaurant and breakfast serving. We are happy that Scott and Claudia’s professionalism and engagement also helped make your stay more pleasant and joyful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and appreciate your business and feedback, which will certainly be passed along to the team.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I was really excited for this hotel but our room was not ready by 4 (which was when they said the room would be ready). We ended up getting it at 6 and once we got into the room the room was still not ready for us. Only one of the two bedrooms were clean and prepared. Luckily, on the first night we had hot water but on the second night the hot water was not working. There were many people, including my group, that complained about how unprepared the hotel was. They're not ready for guests just yet.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Cassandra092
Dear Cassandra092, let us start off by offering our most sincerest apologies for the experience you have had on property with us. We are dearly sorry for failing to meet your expectations on this recent visit and for failing to check you into your suite on time. We can assure you that the mishaps you have come across in the duration of your visit have been the result of incidents, of which our management is aware and has since worked hard to both eliminate and improve upon. It is our hope that we can persuade you to consider trying us again in the future, when the hotel will be fully operational and you would be able to enjoy a seamless vacation onsite.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Grand Beach is a beautiful hotel with a great location in Surfside. I was excited for our stay because of the beach access, pool and large room size. I should have known, though, that we were in for a disappointing stay when they offered us 50% off the room at check-in because the spa and fitness center weren't ready. It wasn't enough.

First, our room wasn't ready at check-in. I kept asking when it might be done and no one could give me an answer. I didn't realize that when they said it wasn't ready they meant it wasn't that it was not clean - which is what they told me - it was that it was on a floor that had not yet been opened and the room had not been used. Long and short is we finally checked in well over an hour past the check-in time of 4pm. I booked this online so it is not as though I was a walk-in - a room should have been ready. This, however, was the least of our problems.

When the kids went to take showers at the end of the day, there was no hot water. None. In a hotel! It was insane. I must have made 3 trips to the front desk, each time they would tell me it was being fixed rather than offering to move me or find a place for the kids to shower. The maintenance worker, who was lovely, basically told me that he didn't even realize our floor was opened so had not flipped a switch that would bring hot water there. Beyond that, the water was all being drawn up to the higher, already opened floors and because we were the only people on our floor, it would take quite a while for hot water to start circulating there. All to say, my kids ended up taking a very fast, tepid water shower. This was not the worst thing that happened that night.

There was work going on on our floor and the one above us until 2am. Yep, banging and workers in the hallways and other loud noises until 2am. Add to this that they checked someone into the room next door to me at 3:30am (and I should add here that I specifically asked not to be near the elevators and....wait for it....we were 2 doors down). When I asked what was happening I was told that they didn't realize people were on the floor and were rushing to finish so just kept on working. Awesome.

I'll throw in one last insult to injury - I pad for a package that included the breakfast buffet and there was no buffet available. The woman at the restaurant told me she had never seen anything like what was happening at the hotel before - people paying for things that didn't exist and a total lack of communication from management. When I met Scott, the manager, it all made sense. In the short term, it was ridiculous.

The people at the front desk were very apologetic and felt badly, as did the maintenance people, and actually didn't seem to know what was going on. Management, who we will get to shortly, was not communicating so the people that worked there are being stuck in the middle. Suffice to say, I was not the only person having issues. When I asked for some compensation, they said the 50% off was to cover any of these issues. This was not what I was told which was the 50% off was to cover to loss of the spa and fitness center. Beyond that, hot water and no overhead construction go above and beyond construction inconvenience and are really the baseline of things you expect from any hotel or motel even. I mean, I've gone to campsites that offered this. It is a baseline. I should have been comped the room - nobody slept anyway.

Finally, a moment on the manager Scott. When I spoke with him, at no point did he offer an apology or any additional compensation. That's right, you read that correctly - no apology in spite of the fact that he acknowledged we had no hot water and there was construction. Mind you, my kids and I were up until 2am and had NO HOT WATER!!! In fact, he instead denied there was construction (really, but what were those men doing in the hallway...the ones in construction uniforms...), called the prior night's maintenance worker dishonest (uhm what reason did he possibly have to mislead?), and just kept smiling. he is an incredibly smarmy and dishonest guy. The only thing he would admit to was that perhaps the hotel had opened a few months before it was ready. I'm not sure inferring your guests are lying is the best approach, Scott. There was construction going on until 2am.

All to say, I'd steer clear of this place until next season. They just aren't ready for prime time.

Room Tip: Here's a tip - stay somewhere else.
7 Thank els_46
Dear Els_46, we would like to express our gratitude for the detailed feedback you have extended as a result of your first time visit to our recently opened new hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you have had while our guest. We would not offer excuses for the deficiencies you came across in regards to amenities and basic facilities, as we do realize that they are required in the duration of any guest’s stay. At the same time, however, we do hope you shall give our hotel another try in the future, when all of the finishing work will be over and all services and facilities will be fully operational. We are working hard to clear all malfunctions you have mentioned and we appreciate your comments as they help us do so. Thank you once again! We would like to take the time and invite you to stay with us again in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Grand Beach Hotel Surfside location is not completed yet and they have the most pervert, unprofessional staff and management in Miami Beach. Someone walks in to the room as my girl friend was taking a shower alone right after we check in. Then the person leaves without saying anything but freaking out my girlfriend. We have no idea what was the intention of that! How come any hotel could allow this?

I've booked 2 Bedroom King Suite room with this hotel for my family (my mom, dad, sister and my girlfriend) between December 6th until December 10th 2013. Here is the catch, I was looking at their original location on 4835 Collins Ave. the other Grand Beach Hotel. However, since the construction of this Surfside location is not completed yet, they are using the original location's photos and details on their official website as well as on Booking.com. If you are opening a new location, why don't you clarify that on your website and use actual photos? You are looking at one hotel but in reality booking another hotel that is not ready to be open to the public! If you are new to Miami there is no way you can figure this out.

We ended up on this Surfside location which is way far away from everything. Taxi will cost you over $20 to get SoBe each way. So, do your math and calculate your expenses before you book this hotel.

Here is the list of why you should absolutely stay away from Grand Beach Hotel:

- Someone literally walked in to our room as my girl friend was taking a shower. She was alone in the room at that time and she freaked out! The person apparently came all the way inside and then left. We have no idea what was the intention of that!? How come any hotel could allow this? I even told this incident to the front-desk employee Kevin and no one even apologized. I literally did not want to call the police because I did not wan to ruin my parents vacation.

- The elevators doesn't work twice a day and we were escorted the take service elevators. While you are waiting in the lobby, you are going to see that contraction guys are building this hotel.

- Housekeeping is absolutely not trained or exist! When we come back to our room, we would find towels, mugs, robes, and anything else not clean or replaced. They did not even restock mini fridge, coffee, towels, nothing. Literally nothing. You would find your room the way you left every day. I had to go downstairs (because the phone is not EVEN hooked up in your room), talk to the front-desk (Kevin) and bring a house keeper at 10pm so that we can have a clean towels to take a shower! The hotel can check their records on this.

- Managers are not available at any time. I've kindly asked to talk to the manager maybe over 10x. Staff always responds that the manager is not around. Imagine an hotel where after all this trouble and disappointment, you are not even able to talk to a manager. This is what you are going to be paying with your stay. A hotel that is just left out to manage on its own with pervert staff, not trained housekeepers, inexperienced front-desk staff.

- First couple days they did not even had their restaurant ready. Yet they charged us a full rate for our hotel room which is about $700 a night but we did not even had access to many amenities. This is simply not fair. If you are not ready to open the hotel, DO NOT CHARGE THE FULL RATE WHEN YOU CAN NOT PROVIDE THE SERVICE!

- I was promised that we would get some refund. BUT here is the catch, this hotel is a total scammer. They charged me a full amount of over $3,200 and promised to be getting a credit back upon check-out. Today, I called to follow up on that and guess what, they have no clue! We were simply pushed away with a promise of refund.

Room Tip: The hotel is still under contraction and nothing is good!
18 Thank FiratNYC
Jean-Michel K, General Manager at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear FiratNYC,

I understand your frustration with the property, it's current condition, and what you and your party were forced to endure. As a hotelier, it would be easy for me to make excuses and explain to you all the circumstances surrounding the opening which negatively impacted your stay, but I much rather extend my sincere apologies. My team and I failed to deliver a simple message upon arrival that our Owner wished to express to each one of his guests in the first week of operation: "The Hotel is not ready. My guests will not pay to stay here".

I would like to reach out to you personally and address the charges on your credit card. My email is jmkling@grandbeachhotel.com or please contact the property directly at 305-534-8666 and have me paged. I look forward to being able to assist you in any manner possible and would like to personally extend an invitation for you and your family to return to the property upon completion of the construction.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

The Grand Beach Surfside, is a wonderfully designed hotel, very bright, contemporary and fresh. A Hotel that does the website justice and the rooms were as beautiful as were shown. The outside and common areas too very clean and proper and made to the highest standard.
We must have been one of the first guests to arrive on a Tuesday of a busy Art Basel week and it was noticeable that the staff were not ready yet to accommodate every ones wishes and desires. They seemed a bit lost at times. The restaurant wasn't open and no concierge was on duty until the Friday. The valet guys had misplaced our car keys on one or two occasions but after that were all extremely attentive.
However once the first opening day jitters were over the staff were incredibly helpful and very attentive. The concierge was very knowledgeable and friendly. Roberto the manager was there to help if the reception staff did not know the answer. The Beach and Pool were beautifully managed and well preserved.
I am sure once this hotel is up and running it will become a great hotel with fantastic service and continued returning clientele. Me and my wife would certainly have no hesitations in staying here again as we had a great time.
The only point I would mention is that if the hotel is indeed in its first week during such a busy period, I would mention it on the website so that future clients can have expectations that this is the case and will become more patient.

Room Tip: go for a room with the view of the ocean
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KamiarM
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear KamiarM, thank you for writing a review of your visit to the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside. We are glad to learn of all the positive comments and feedback you had to share of our brand new hotel. It is wonderful you enjoyed the overall design of the hotel, its suites and common areas. We would like to offer our apology for any inconveniences you might have experienced during your first time visit to our Surfside hotel. We can assure you that those are only temporary difficulties we are coming across in the opening process of the hotel. Please rest assured that those will be eliminated and will not pertain to exist in the future operation of the property. We could not be more pleased by the wonderful comments you have shared regarding your positive encounters with staff members throughout the hotel. We do place a very high priority in the performance of our team when it comes to customer service and thus we are happy to know we are managing to do well in this aspect. We do appreciate your suggestion to add a note to our website and we have indeed done so on our homepage. We furthermore place efforts throughout the social media to advice guests of the correct opening date. Our entire Surfside team is striving to provide the best guest experience possible. We are happy you have appreciated our efforts. We await you and your wife on your return visit to the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel
#3 of 206 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,286 reviews
Residence Inn Miami Beach Surfside
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel

Been to Grand Beach Hotel Surfside? Share your experiences!