“Not ready - avoid for the next few months!”

Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Surfside
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Not ready - avoid for the next few months!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Grand Beach is a beautiful hotel with a great location in Surfside. I was excited for our stay because of the beach access, pool and large room size. I should have known, though, that we were in for a disappointing stay when they offered us 50% off the room at check-in because the spa and fitness center weren't ready. It wasn't enough.

First, our room wasn't ready at check-in. I kept asking when it might be done and no one could give me an answer. I didn't realize that when they said it wasn't ready they meant it wasn't that it was not clean - which is what they told me - it was that it was on a floor that had not yet been opened and the room had not been used. Long and short is we finally checked in well over an hour past the check-in time of 4pm. I booked this online so it is not as though I was a walk-in - a room should have been ready. This, however, was the least of our problems.

When the kids went to take showers at the end of the day, there was no hot water. None. In a hotel! It was insane. I must have made 3 trips to the front desk, each time they would tell me it was being fixed rather than offering to move me or find a place for the kids to shower. The maintenance worker, who was lovely, basically told me that he didn't even realize our floor was opened so had not flipped a switch that would bring hot water there. Beyond that, the water was all being drawn up to the higher, already opened floors and because we were the only people on our floor, it would take quite a while for hot water to start circulating there. All to say, my kids ended up taking a very fast, tepid water shower. This was not the worst thing that happened that night.

There was work going on on our floor and the one above us until 2am. Yep, banging and workers in the hallways and other loud noises until 2am. Add to this that they checked someone into the room next door to me at 3:30am (and I should add here that I specifically asked not to be near the elevators and....wait for it....we were 2 doors down). When I asked what was happening I was told that they didn't realize people were on the floor and were rushing to finish so just kept on working. Awesome.

I'll throw in one last insult to injury - I pad for a package that included the breakfast buffet and there was no buffet available. The woman at the restaurant told me she had never seen anything like what was happening at the hotel before - people paying for things that didn't exist and a total lack of communication from management. When I met Scott, the manager, it all made sense. In the short term, it was ridiculous.

The people at the front desk were very apologetic and felt badly, as did the maintenance people, and actually didn't seem to know what was going on. Management, who we will get to shortly, was not communicating so the people that worked there are being stuck in the middle. Suffice to say, I was not the only person having issues. When I asked for some compensation, they said the 50% off was to cover any of these issues. This was not what I was told which was the 50% off was to cover to loss of the spa and fitness center. Beyond that, hot water and no overhead construction go above and beyond construction inconvenience and are really the baseline of things you expect from any hotel or motel even. I mean, I've gone to campsites that offered this. It is a baseline. I should have been comped the room - nobody slept anyway.

Finally, a moment on the manager Scott. When I spoke with him, at no point did he offer an apology or any additional compensation. That's right, you read that correctly - no apology in spite of the fact that he acknowledged we had no hot water and there was construction. Mind you, my kids and I were up until 2am and had NO HOT WATER!!! In fact, he instead denied there was construction (really, but what were those men doing in the hallway...the ones in construction uniforms...), called the prior night's maintenance worker dishonest (uhm what reason did he possibly have to mislead?), and just kept smiling. he is an incredibly smarmy and dishonest guy. The only thing he would admit to was that perhaps the hotel had opened a few months before it was ready. I'm not sure inferring your guests are lying is the best approach, Scott. There was construction going on until 2am.

All to say, I'd steer clear of this place until next season. They just aren't ready for prime time.

Room Tip: Here's a tip - stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank els_46
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Els_46, we would like to express our gratitude for the detailed feedback you have extended as a result of your first time visit to our recently opened new hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you have had while our guest. We would not offer excuses for the deficiencies you came across in regards to amenities and basic facilities, as we do realize that they are required in the duration of any guest’s stay. At the same time, however, we do hope you shall give our hotel another try in the future, when all of the finishing work will be over and all services and facilities will be fully operational. We are working hard to clear all malfunctions you have mentioned and we appreciate your comments as they help us do so. Thank you once again! We would like to take the time and invite you to stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Grand Beach Hotel Surfside location is not completed yet and they have the most pervert, unprofessional staff and management in Miami Beach. Someone walks in to the room as my girl friend was taking a shower alone right after we check in. Then the person leaves without saying anything but freaking out my girlfriend. We have no idea what was the intention of that! How come any hotel could allow this?

I've booked 2 Bedroom King Suite room with this hotel for my family (my mom, dad, sister and my girlfriend) between December 6th until December 10th 2013. Here is the catch, I was looking at their original location on 4835 Collins Ave. the other Grand Beach Hotel. However, since the construction of this Surfside location is not completed yet, they are using the original location's photos and details on their official website as well as on Booking.com. If you are opening a new location, why don't you clarify that on your website and use actual photos? You are looking at one hotel but in reality booking another hotel that is not ready to be open to the public! If you are new to Miami there is no way you can figure this out.

We ended up on this Surfside location which is way far away from everything. Taxi will cost you over $20 to get SoBe each way. So, do your math and calculate your expenses before you book this hotel.

Here is the list of why you should absolutely stay away from Grand Beach Hotel:

- Someone literally walked in to our room as my girl friend was taking a shower. She was alone in the room at that time and she freaked out! The person apparently came all the way inside and then left. We have no idea what was the intention of that!? How come any hotel could allow this? I even told this incident to the front-desk employee Kevin and no one even apologized. I literally did not want to call the police because I did not wan to ruin my parents vacation.

- The elevators doesn't work twice a day and we were escorted the take service elevators. While you are waiting in the lobby, you are going to see that contraction guys are building this hotel.

- Housekeeping is absolutely not trained or exist! When we come back to our room, we would find towels, mugs, robes, and anything else not clean or replaced. They did not even restock mini fridge, coffee, towels, nothing. Literally nothing. You would find your room the way you left every day. I had to go downstairs (because the phone is not EVEN hooked up in your room), talk to the front-desk (Kevin) and bring a house keeper at 10pm so that we can have a clean towels to take a shower! The hotel can check their records on this.

- Managers are not available at any time. I've kindly asked to talk to the manager maybe over 10x. Staff always responds that the manager is not around. Imagine an hotel where after all this trouble and disappointment, you are not even able to talk to a manager. This is what you are going to be paying with your stay. A hotel that is just left out to manage on its own with pervert staff, not trained housekeepers, inexperienced front-desk staff.

- First couple days they did not even had their restaurant ready. Yet they charged us a full rate for our hotel room which is about $700 a night but we did not even had access to many amenities. This is simply not fair. If you are not ready to open the hotel, DO NOT CHARGE THE FULL RATE WHEN YOU CAN NOT PROVIDE THE SERVICE!

- I was promised that we would get some refund. BUT here is the catch, this hotel is a total scammer. They charged me a full amount of over $3,200 and promised to be getting a credit back upon check-out. Today, I called to follow up on that and guess what, they have no clue! We were simply pushed away with a promise of refund.

Room Tip: The hotel is still under contraction and nothing is good!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
18 Thank FiratNYC
Jean-Michel K, General Manager at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear FiratNYC,

I understand your frustration with the property, it's current condition, and what you and your party were forced to endure. As a hotelier, it would be easy for me to make excuses and explain to you all the circumstances surrounding the opening which negatively impacted your stay, but I much rather extend my sincere apologies. My team and I failed to deliver a simple message upon arrival that our Owner wished to express to each one of his guests in the first week of operation: "The Hotel is not ready. My guests will not pay to stay here".

I would like to reach out to you personally and address the charges on your credit card. My email is jmkling@grandbeachhotel.com or please contact the property directly at 305-534-8666 and have me paged. I look forward to being able to assist you in any manner possible and would like to personally extend an invitation for you and your family to return to the property upon completion of the construction.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

The Grand Beach Surfside, is a wonderfully designed hotel, very bright, contemporary and fresh. A Hotel that does the website justice and the rooms were as beautiful as were shown. The outside and common areas too very clean and proper and made to the highest standard.
We must have been one of the first guests to arrive on a Tuesday of a busy Art Basel week and it was noticeable that the staff were not ready yet to accommodate every ones wishes and desires. They seemed a bit lost at times. The restaurant wasn't open and no concierge was on duty until the Friday. The valet guys had misplaced our car keys on one or two occasions but after that were all extremely attentive.
However once the first opening day jitters were over the staff were incredibly helpful and very attentive. The concierge was very knowledgeable and friendly. Roberto the manager was there to help if the reception staff did not know the answer. The Beach and Pool were beautifully managed and well preserved.
I am sure once this hotel is up and running it will become a great hotel with fantastic service and continued returning clientele. Me and my wife would certainly have no hesitations in staying here again as we had a great time.
The only point I would mention is that if the hotel is indeed in its first week during such a busy period, I would mention it on the website so that future clients can have expectations that this is the case and will become more patient.

Room Tip: go for a room with the view of the ocean
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KamiarM
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear KamiarM, thank you for writing a review of your visit to the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside. We are glad to learn of all the positive comments and feedback you had to share of our brand new hotel. It is wonderful you enjoyed the overall design of the hotel, its suites and common areas. We would like to offer our apology for any inconveniences you might have experienced during your first time visit to our Surfside hotel. We can assure you that those are only temporary difficulties we are coming across in the opening process of the hotel. Please rest assured that those will be eliminated and will not pertain to exist in the future operation of the property. We could not be more pleased by the wonderful comments you have shared regarding your positive encounters with staff members throughout the hotel. We do place a very high priority in the performance of our team when it comes to customer service and thus we are happy to know we are managing to do well in this aspect. We do appreciate your suggestion to add a note to our website and we have indeed done so on our homepage. We furthermore place efforts throughout the social media to advice guests of the correct opening date. Our entire Surfside team is striving to provide the best guest experience possible. We are happy you have appreciated our efforts. We await you and your wife on your return visit to the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Grand Beach Surfside is a beautiful hotel - we had the privilege to stay there just days after it opened. We've stayed at the sister hotel in Miami Beach and really liked it; Grand Beach Surfside is even nicer. The lobby is gorgeous and when they are fully booked and the lounge service is in total operation, this will be a wonderful place to hang out.
The staff couldn't do enough for us. As there were several kinks related to the opening, staff, in particular, the hotel manager, Scott Guilbert, went over and above to make sure our stay was enjoyable.
The rooms are beautiful - very airy. I'm happy to read that dividers are being put on the balcony between units. We didn't get to use the penthouse pool and adjacent facilities but its gorgeous and well-layed out.
We LOVED the location. We walked to Bal Harbor Shops and were really well situated.
Thank you for this most enjoyable stay; we've already booked our flights to come back!
Joanne

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2CanadiansTravelling
Dear 2CanadiansTravelling, we appreciate you sharing your first time experience at the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside with the TripAdvisor community. We are so very happy to hear of all the wonderful things you have mentioned as a result of your recent visit to our property. We are absolutely thrilled for you have given us the top traveler rating, even though you were not able to experience our hotel’s amenities to their fullest. We could not be more certain that if you have had such great experience with us this time, you would be 100% satisfied on your return visit to property, when all the finishing work will be done and you would be welcome to join us at any of our hotel’s amenities and outlets as you desire. Thank you for sharing such kind words of our director of front office- Scott Guilbert. We are lucky to have him on our team and we are glad to know that his as well as the entire teams’ above and beyond service attitude contributed to this enjoyable stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We arrived on opening day, which was honestly quite a debacle. They were clearly not ready for opening, so I was a bit disheartened because I had such high hopes for a smooth and pleasant stay. Despite the lack of readiness of the hotel, I will have to say that the staff turned it around. This hotel has a huge amount of potential, and once the opening kinks are sorted out, this will definitely be one of my favorite places to visit.

The bad: honestly, the only bad things that I could think of (despite the fact that the hotel was not yet complete) was the lack of privacy on the balconies. There were no dividers, and I do not know if this was an example of something that is to be completed in the near future or if that was the design choice. If no dividers are to be placed on the balconies, I would have serious privacy and safety concerns. The other issue is that the air conditioning vent is right outside the door, so when you are sitting on the balcony, you can hear the very loud humming of the unit, which makes conversation a bit difficult.

Now for the good and great! First off, the common areas are drop dead gorgeous. My pictures do not quite do them justice, and it was raining during our stay, so I hope that I can just say to trust me that the website pictures of the common spaces are spot-on accurate. Flawless and elegant design, certainly easily rivaling any five-star hotel worldwide. The decor exudes a fresh coolness and inviting feeling that makes it perfect for a beach stay where you want to feel elegant but relaxed. I thought the pool area was lovely and well-landscaped, and the rooftop pool and lounge areas were exquisite as well. Once fully-complete, I really do see this hotel as an "it" place to be.

The next best thing about the hotel is the staff; they were working as hard as possible in the most difficult of circumstances during that first day. I felt really sorry for them because you could tell that they were struggling to be as accommodating as possible but that their hands were tied. That being said, I have stayed at hotels where they have been open for quite some time and seem to lose all sense of order once a complication arises. Clearly, the management here is well-trained and organized, and that has flowed through the rest of the staff. These people are five-star trained, and I thought they did a fantastic job keeping their cool despite some inflamed tempers of some of the less patient guests. I am terrible with names, but I remember Veronica from the front desk; she was really fantastic and helped make us feel welcome and calm, despite all the chaos. I felt very confident in the staff's ability to problem-solve and handle issues, and that is important to me. Seeing how they acted on what must have been the most chaotic of days the hotel will experience shows you how they can respond to crises that arise in the normal course of hotel operations once things are up and running. The valet and bellmen were also top-notch. Bravo!

I really, really loved the design/lay-out of the rooms. The rooms definitely look like the website pictures, although there was no artwork in the room as shown on the website. I figured that was probably due to the opening-day delays. Anyways, the bed was fantastic and comfortable, the lay-out was intuitive and felt spacious. My mom has difficulty getting around due to Parkinson's, but she also really enjoyed the hotel floorplan and design. I also loved the fact that there are two bathrooms; although we did not "need" them, it certainly made getting ready in the morning a breeze with no one bumping into each other! As with the common areas of the hotel, I think the design of the room oozes chic sophistication and elegance with muted tones. This is not a flashy hotel but rather a beautifully-designed place of relaxation.

The beach area was nice, but given the rain, I cannot really comment much on it since we stayed indoors most of the time. I liked the landscaping and the layout a lot. The beach loungers looked pretty close together, though, so I am not sure how much I would enjoy it at full occupancy.

Lastly, the area is also great; you are very close to Sunny Isles and Bal Harbour and not terribly far from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. There are tons of restaurants and shops in the area, so this makes for a great starting point for excursions.

Room Tip: Definitely get the beach-front rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DCTraveler1979
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear DCTraveler1979, thank you for being among the first to choose and experience our brand new property- Grand Beach Hotel Surfside. It is encouraging to learn that you have overall enjoyed a pleasant experience during our opening days despite the fact that we are still in the process of finalizing some details throughout the hotel. We agree with you that the deficiencies you have come across are temporary. One of the building challenges you have faced and is currently in the process of being finalized are the balcony dividers you have mentioned in your review. It is with pleasure that we advise you of the fact that balcony dividers are included in the design of the hotel and shall be placed on the room balconies. We sincerely appreciate the wonderful feedback you had to share after experiencing our common grounds throughout the hotel, such as the lobby and pool and beach area. It is also great the décor managed to live up to your expectations. We could not be happier to hear of the kind words you had to share regarding our staff members’ service attitude, because it is our strive to provide a friendly and attentive customer service to all our guests. We could not agree more with you on the importance of a welcoming attitude on side of all our staff members and their ability for problem solving in a polite and friendly manner. We are pleased to read that our room accommodations were also to your satisfaction. It is wonderful you enjoyed so many aspects of your room accommodation, such as the room layout, the spectacular oceanfront view, the comfortable bedding, the comfort of 2 full bathrooms within the suite. You are also absolutely correct in your comments regarding the area surrounding the hotel. It is indeed rich on shops and restaurants; furthermore, both Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale are easily accessible from the hotel.
This outline of your experience will be helpful for other travelers considering staying with us and we are happy you have taken the time to share it with us and the TripAdvisor community. It has been our pleasure having you as one of our first guests and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Beautiful property and still in the process of opening fully but I guess this is part of fine tuning a finished product. Great staff though they have not started food services. Large rooms with nice views. Nice outdoors, great pools, great lobby with views to the ocean while you check in, NICE! Roof pool and bar are well thought out. Pool staff which also work on the beach were very helpful. Overall an excellent hotel, surely to be the gem of surfside.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Sandyform
Dear Sandyform, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and impression of Grand Beach Hotel Surfside.
We are indeed in the process of finalizing some details on property; however, we are thrilled to hear of your wonderful feedback regarding the amenities and hotel grounds you were able to see and experience. Our restaurant was officially opened this past Friday- December 6, so you would definitely be able to join us for your breakfast, lunch, or dinner meals there upon your return visit. We are especially grateful for the comments you have shared regarding your nice interactions with staff members throughout the hotel. At the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, we prioritize the customer service we deliver to our guests, because we do realize that even the greatest hotel grounds could be difficult to enjoy if they are not complimented by an excellent staff service attitude.
We sincerely appreciate you for choosing to stay with us and hope you shall decide to join us again soon, when you would be able to experience Grand Beach Hotel Surfside to its fullest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
#89 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to Grand Beach Hotel Surfside? Share your experiences!