“Pretty good stay overall”

Solara Surfside Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Surfside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edinburgh
“Pretty good stay overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hubby and I had 2 nights here after being in the Keys and before we flew out of MIA. We had stayed here a few years back so knew what to expect and that it was a little off the beaten track. We hadn't seen anything of Miami last time apart from South Beach and the malls so I was keen to get some advice from the concierge. Utterly useless. The guy seemed disinterested after his initial patter of 'let me know how I can help you blah blah blah', suggested we could do a day trip to Key West ( having just been told we had come from the Keys) or the Everglades when we had made it clear we had just one full day and we wanted to see the city. In the end, the pizza takeaway place we stumbled across that night had someone who was far friendlier and was full of ideas of where we could go, even asking us what we liked to do, and he wasn't in it for a big tip as we were just grabbing the pizza to go.

Anyway, apart from that irritation (to be fair, he did print out map directions for us when we asked), our room was spacious ( it was a 2 bed double ocean view) but I don't think we would bother with the ocean view next time. We were effectively at the back of the hotel with an ocean view from the side balcony but more of a view of the apartments across the lane, and if you sat on the chairs on the balcony you definitely wouldn't see the ocean. not worth it unless you get a room towards the front of the building.

The bathrooms were fine but boy are they small. The door just barely opens on to the sink and if you are standing at the sink, you have to move out of the bathroom to let your other half in if he wants the toilet or shower. The ktichen is huge and spacious and you get lots of light streaming in to the dining/TV area which is nice.

Recycling- Bluegreen go on and on about reclying, and perhaps this is more down to a city recycling policy, but I find it odd that glass is not recycled ( I was told to dump it in the main trash), nor is plastic. Just tin cans and paper/cardboard. But I'm a recyling freak!

The hotel is a bit off the beaten track but we were able to walk to Sazon, the Cuban restaurant in less than 20 minutes at a nice slow pace. The return walk was welcome as we had rather full bellies so it aided the digestion a bit!

Sat by the pool for an hour one afternoon and that was pleasant, background music at a nice volume level unlike in their Marathon resort where you can barely hear yourself think. Staff behind the main desk were nice and friendly too on check in/out.

One big negative - wifi here is dire. I mean it, utterly dire. It would kick you out after minutes and sometimes you just couldn't get a signal for hours. I've stayed in a small resort on a little island off the Vietnamese coast and we've had fantastic free wi-fi. Come on Bluegreen, time to sort out the wifi in this day and age.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artemis1
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello artemis1,

Thank you for returning to Solara Surfside and sharing your experience. We are happy you had a good stay and enjoyed the spacious accommodations. We appreciate your comments regarding the staff as we aim to provide outstanding service to our owners and guests. We are sorry to hear that not every aspect of your stay met your expectations and will take your feedback to guide us to further improvements. We look forward to seeing you on your next Bluegreen resort visit.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My family and I just returned from a week-long vacation at Solara. We tend to avoid timeshares like the plague but this was a gift from a friend. We were pleasantly surprised! No sales pushes, no pressure. Simply a wonderful stay. The staff were all very attentive; from the concierge, to the front desk, to the valet, to the young man who helped my son with the video games and shuffleboard lessons. Each and every staff member went out or their way to ensure our comfort.
Rooms were well equipped and clean. The complementary laundry meant that we only had to make one trip to the store in order to make ourselves at home.
My only complaint would be the very uncomfortable pull-out bed. If you are expecting to sleep four in a one bedroom unit don't expect the fold-out to get you through the week. We opted to sleep on the couch and chair after only one night.
Restaurants and a grocery store are withing walking distance (less than one mile) but not right outside the door.
We really were pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with more than two adults opt for a two bedroom. The pull-out couch just doesn...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kshawn
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hello kshawn,

We are delighted that we were able to provide your family with a wonderful stay at Solara Surfside. It is our goal to share happiness with all guests and provide outstanding accommodations and service. Your compliments regarding the staff and the rooms let us know that we are succeeding in providing a great experience. We thank you for your feedback and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Miami area.
Malmö, Sverige
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Really nice and in a quiet and relaxing environment!
Large rooms - perhaps little outdated - but anyhow - they are off cores more like apartments! Better equipped kitchen than you think and so on!
But I would stay there again - definitely,
Really nice pool area, great gym, activities if you want! And just a few minutes to what you almost could call your own beach!
Super service minded staff!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms don't have balcony! So if necessary - don't forget to make a request for...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tony I
Hello Tony I,

Thank you for staying with us at Solara Surfside and sharing your feedback. We are happy you found the resort relaxing and enjoyed the pool area and other onsite amenities. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff as we seek to share happiness with all of our guests and provide outstanding accommodations and service. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Miami area.
Royersford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and I took a cruise from Miami to Key West, Grand Cayman and Jamaica in October 2012. We wanted to stay in Florida a couple of days and chose the Solara. We were very impressed with the overall condition of the resort, the well maintained appearance and helpful staff. There is a swimming pool, laundry facilities (shared), full kitchen in the 1 bedroom unit that we had and a gate leading to the beach. There are great restaurants in the area which I will review later. We have since reserved another stay for 5 days (before and after a cruise in February 2014). We definitely recommend the facility.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoJoJazz
Hello JoJoJazz,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Solara Surfside. We are thrilled you were impressed with the condition of the resort and found the staff helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back in February and sharing happiness on your next visit to the Miami area.
Daytona Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Two staff members really stood out, Hillard and Donna. I give those two a five star rating!
One thing that bothered me was that the Valet never opened the car door for my wife. I tipped the valet everytime he got my car.

Wifi and cell service (ATT LTE) was very poor.

The beach was not very clean but Solara did have chairs and umbrellas available for $10 a day which was nice. The ocean water was beautiful and clear.

The pool was nice but I suggest you get a room above the 2nd floor. We stayed in room 208 and felt like the folks in the hot tube were in room with us.

Dont forget the owner update! It's still just a sales pitch to buy more points and it eats up 2 hours of your day.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank trip34172
Hello trip34172,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Solara Surfside. We are happy our staff provided you with exceptional service; however, we regret to learn your experience fell short of meeting your expectations. Please contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com if you would like to share any additional details. Thank you for your feedback.
Derby, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. Direct access to the beach and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a smaller resort but I enjoyed that. Rooms were large with full kitchens and good size patios. Chairs, umbrellas, and towels were available for guest use.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello peepersx2,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Solara Surfside. We are pleased that you really enjoyed your visit and the beachfront location. Your compliments regarding the staff are much appreciated as we aim to provide our guests with world class service. We do hope you will visit us again when in the Miami area.
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The first day at Solara was challenging at best. Upon check in we were informed that the pool would be closed for several hours during the day for maintenance on the roof. Immediately put a damper on me as I had planned to spend most of my days by the pool reading and relaxing. I gave the desk clerk credit card for the damage deposit. There was an hour before we could actually get into our room so we left and did some shopping. I asked specifically if we had a room with a balcony. I even requested that when reserving the room. After we returned I the lobby was full of others trying to check in the manager loudly announced that my credit card had been declined. I could feel everyone in that room turn and stare at me. I knew that was impossible so I called my bank. Upon calling the bank I was informed that a hold had been placed on my card due to someone repeatedly putting in the wrong pin number which is weird because I told the desk clerk to use as credit card and a pin would not have been necessary. She never even mentioned putting in a pin number. I was able to get it straight but at that point i was embarrassed and frustrated . Then we get to the room and have no balcony. I was beyond livid. I argued with the front desk to no avail. I was ready to pack up and find a new place.. we ended up staying and the week turned out beautifully. Not having the pool on several days was an inconvenience but I will say after the initial check in the remainder of the staff was helpful and courteous. Having the grills were great and the hammocks were oh so relaxing after a long day. Publix is near by for all the grocery needs. I would definetly stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gbnsc
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello gbnsc,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Solara Surfside. We are sorry to hear of any issues you experienced at check-in and for the inconvenience of the pool closure but are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for the four-star review but would like to know more details about your check-in experience. Please email us at info@bluegreenvacations.com so that we may look into this further. Thank you and we hope to you see again when you visit the Miami area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Sea View Hotel
Sea View Hotel
#3 of 5 in Bal Harbour

Been to Solara Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!