“Quiet and Relaxing!”

Solara Surfside Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Surfside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Really nice and in a quiet and relaxing environment!
Large rooms - perhaps little outdated - but anyhow - they are off cores more like apartments! Better equipped kitchen than you think and so on!
But I would stay there again - definitely,
Really nice pool area, great gym, activities if you want! And just a few minutes to what you almost could call your own beach!
Super service minded staff!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms don't have balcony! So if necessary - don't forget to make a request for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tony I
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Hello Tony I,

Thank you for staying with us at Solara Surfside and sharing your feedback. We are happy you found the resort relaxing and enjoyed the pool area and other onsite amenities. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff as we seek to share happiness with all of our guests and provide outstanding accommodations and service. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Miami area.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and I took a cruise from Miami to Key West, Grand Cayman and Jamaica in October 2012. We wanted to stay in Florida a couple of days and chose the Solara. We were very impressed with the overall condition of the resort, the well maintained appearance and helpful staff. There is a swimming pool, laundry facilities (shared), full kitchen in the 1 bedroom unit that we had and a gate leading to the beach. There are great restaurants in the area which I will review later. We have since reserved another stay for 5 days (before and after a cruise in February 2014). We definitely recommend the facility.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoJoJazz

Hello JoJoJazz,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Solara Surfside. We are thrilled you were impressed with the condition of the resort and found the staff helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back in February and sharing happiness on your next visit to the Miami area.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Two staff members really stood out, Hillard and Donna. I give those two a five star rating!
One thing that bothered me was that the Valet never opened the car door for my wife. I tipped the valet everytime he got my car.

Wifi and cell service (ATT LTE) was very poor.

The beach was not very clean but Solara did have chairs and umbrellas available for $10 a day which was nice. The ocean water was beautiful and clear.

The pool was nice but I suggest you get a room above the 2nd floor. We stayed in room 208 and felt like the folks in the hot tube were in room with us.

Dont forget the owner update! It's still just a sales pitch to buy more points and it eats up 2 hours of your day.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank trip34172

Hello trip34172,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Solara Surfside. We are happy our staff provided you with exceptional service; however, we regret to learn your experience fell short of meeting your expectations. Please contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com if you would like to share any additional details. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. Direct access to the beach and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a smaller resort but I enjoyed that. Rooms were large with full kitchens and good size patios. Chairs, umbrellas, and towels were available for guest use.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hello peepersx2,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Solara Surfside. We are pleased that you really enjoyed your visit and the beachfront location. Your compliments regarding the staff are much appreciated as we aim to provide our guests with world class service. We do hope you will visit us again when in the Miami area.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The first day at Solara was challenging at best. Upon check in we were informed that the pool would be closed for several hours during the day for maintenance on the roof. Immediately put a damper on me as I had planned to spend most of my days by the pool reading and relaxing. I gave the desk clerk credit card for the damage deposit. There was an hour before we could actually get into our room so we left and did some shopping. I asked specifically if we had a room with a balcony. I even requested that when reserving the room. After we returned I the lobby was full of others trying to check in the manager loudly announced that my credit card had been declined. I could feel everyone in that room turn and stare at me. I knew that was impossible so I called my bank. Upon calling the bank I was informed that a hold had been placed on my card due to someone repeatedly putting in the wrong pin number which is weird because I told the desk clerk to use as credit card and a pin would not have been necessary. She never even mentioned putting in a pin number. I was able to get it straight but at that point i was embarrassed and frustrated . Then we get to the room and have no balcony. I was beyond livid. I argued with the front desk to no avail. I was ready to pack up and find a new place.. we ended up staying and the week turned out beautifully. Not having the pool on several days was an inconvenience but I will say after the initial check in the remainder of the staff was helpful and courteous. Having the grills were great and the hammocks were oh so relaxing after a long day. Publix is near by for all the grocery needs. I would definetly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gbnsc
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hello gbnsc,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Solara Surfside. We are sorry to hear of any issues you experienced at check-in and for the inconvenience of the pool closure but are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for the four-star review but would like to know more details about your check-in experience. Please email us at info@bluegreenvacations.com so that we may look into this further. Thank you and we hope to you see again when you visit the Miami area.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

As frequent patrons of hotel chains belonging to the "Choice" group, but very infrequent visitors to Florida from the upper Midwest, we were very happy to discover that we could book this excellent family-oriented resort hotel through Choice's "Ascend collection" --even using accumulated Choice Privilege points to stay for three days. We were very pleased with our three day stay there even though we experienced rain every day. We had a room on the third floor with a balcony (by request: the Choice booking site promised it but it had to get verified at the hotel), from which we could see the ocean off to the side--and walk easily through the nice patio/pool area and beach gathering area with grills and tables and onto the very nice public beach. The pool and jacuzzi are nice, there's a game room (and kids' and other activities we didn't use or need), and the rooms themselves provided everything we needed and more: well-equipped kitchenette (so we cooked most of our own meals), well-decorated, attractive living-dining room, lovely large master bedroom, bath and hall within the unit -- spacious and lovely. We also appreciated the free laundry facilities and comparative nearness to grocery shopping and other urban services.

The staff was friendly and helpful, especially, we found, the parking attendants, as valet parking costs $12/day (plus a daily tip we gave whichever of the two brought the car)--no street or other parking options that we could see. But we thought that price for guests (cheaper for timeshare owners) a good deal compared to other hotels along the Surfside/South Beach area, as we discovered when we went to another (even more) upscale resort to use the spa services. At the Surfside, we felt very much the exception as Choice (Ascend Collection) patrons rather than as timeshare owners or potential owners, who all seemed to be staying a full week. At the start of our visit, the concierge did address us as potential timeshare buyers (invitation to a sales presentation, offers of free expeditions or coupons in return, etc.), but the overtures desisted when we showed no interest. In my experience with other such timeshare hotel bookings, however, in San Francisco and Hawaii, once the resort has sufficient patronage by timeshare members, the opportunity to book a good (and actually guaranteed) one bedroom or studio unit for a few nights becomes very limited or impossible. Thus our advice: if you'd like a few nights' affordable "apartment" stay in a really nicely appointed and run Miami beach resort, the Solara Surfside offers an excellent choice-- at least for the time being!

Room Tip: We had to ask for a room with a balcony--Choice.com bookings don't get those automatically even...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank college_prof_11
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Hello college_prof_11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Solara Surfside. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay despite the rain. We appreciate your compliments regarding the resort accommodations, amenities, and staff. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Miami area.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We original wanted to book a one bedroom here for a couple of nights but when we called back all they had left was ocean view 2 bed so we took it. The weather was not good when we arrived and as we arrived a couple of hours early we left our luggage with the concierge who told us it would be ready at 4pm. so we went out for something to eat and then came back to explore the hotel.The valet takes your car as soon as you arrive and parks it for you. Solara Surfside is on the beach so we took a walk,although it was cloudy,it was very warm and the ocean was warm too.There were barbecues on the way to the beach for the use of the guests and a nice pool and indoor and outdoor games to keep everyone busy...movies can be rented at reception with a very good choice too. When we got back the room wasn't ready and as we had had a long day we weren't too happy about waiting,but it was only about 15 mins.The room they gave us was on the top floor corner,and it was spotlessly clean with all you would need...and more.The view from the front was of the city and the back was the ocean from a pretty large balcony.Each bedroom had a flatscreen tv and a sound system that could take an iphone or ipod and there is free wi fi...really we couldent ask for more,and it more than made up for the delay in check in......next day we went out early and on our return we found a big basket of goodies with a personalised card waiting for us to apologise about the check in delay,and they also allowed us a late checkout AND 2 free movies.....All the staff here know how to treat their guests,they are so professional and friendly and never forget your name,nothing is a problem for them,and our whole experience there was way above what we expected,right down to the smallest detail.
Problems are fixed immediately,and the impossible is just a little longer!! lol we will definitely be back for a week next time!!!

Room Tip: Best rooms are the corner ones... ocean view looking to the back,city view to the front...the higher...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Belgravia P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Four Seasons Hotel at The Surf Club, Surfside, Florida

Been to Solara Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!