“this is a terrific place for a holiday in miami”

Solara Surfside Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Surfside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Just returned from the Solara in Miami Beach. This is an excellent vacation spot, easily equivalent to a 4 star hotel. Excellent amenities, location, friendly service, right on the beach.
Rooms large and comfortable, modern furniture, big fully equipped kitchen, terrific restaurants around there, and walk to Bal Harbour. This was my 3rd visit there, and I will be back !!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank gatisdelux

Reviewed January 9, 2008

Solara Surfside was our second stop in Florida for our 1-yr anniversary. Our first stop was Marathon Key for one night. Then we drove to Surfside. I own a timeshare and my husband and I use it for most of our travels. Solara is a very nice resort/hotel. The one bedroom we had was quaint, with a nice oceanview. We'd rather have an oceanfront, but those are all 2BR. The beach is right out the back - which was really nice to be in the heat and the ocean in March!
The staff is very helpful for places to go, and setting up a limo to take us to dinner (Paesano's) was really nice! (although we shared the limo with others going to restaurant from other resorts/hotels).

The only downfall is there's no parking! You MUST use the valet service if you have a car and they will bring it to you from their valey parking garage.

We are planning to go back - can't wait!

Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank MrsC3406
Reviewed January 9, 2008

We just spent a week at the Solara and it was great. The hotel is directly on the beach on Collins Avenue and is surrounded by condominiums. there is a heated pool , a jacuzzi and a little park with tables and propane barbecue grills between the hotel and the beach.

We stayed in a one bedroom unit that had a separate bedroom with bathroom. the bathroom was really small. We had a huge kitchen all of the appliances and a living room that had a pull out couch. This unit was perfect for a family of 3 or 4. There was a stereo and a dvd player in the room.

The hotel staff was very nice and we had a great time there. We really recomand it!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank annickanick
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Nice place. We stayed here b/c my bf's co-worker offered us his timeshare exchange. We got a good deal. Liked the location, close to all and very quiet. Nice and relaxing. The staff was nice and friendly. The pool/jacuzzi was nice, too bad the pool is in the shade, its heated n would be perfect if the building next door didn't overshadow it. Pool/jacuzzi hrs are generous, until 10pm. The room was clean n nicely decorated.
One downside bars/resturants a bit far. The local ones close early n limited food. But there is take out or a 15 min drive you can find good resturants.
Another downside was the sales rep/concierge called non stop for 3 days, at least she didn't call us before 11, after a few times we unplugged the phone. She tried to get us to go to the meeting but we declined, after a few times, she didn't bother us. We were listed as timeshare owners n she wanted to show us the new resorts. Just a 90 min presentation w/free breakfast n 75$. We didn't care for it. I wanted that 90 min for beach time.
"social room" was a bit boring, 1 pc and a fuz ball table. Glad we didnt have a rainy day.
Wireless is only in the lobby but I had good service in the room (3rd floor), once in a while I had to reconnect, but it was fine to surf. You first have to get the pw from the front desk while ur in the lobby. In room directory WAYYY outdated, google had better recommendations.
Overall, we liked the place, we may go again. Stood there 7 days.
Valet service was real nice n we had a 08 mustang and we felt safer keeping it in the garage, we saw street parking a block away. In room Safe fee is ridiculous we didnt even use it. but oh well. Valet fee was reasonable.
Good place to stay if you don't wanna be around South Beach. SOBE is only like 20 mins away from the hotel if you want to visit. It was real quiet, we went in the off season so it might be different in season.
Exercise room was just 4 cardio machines n one weight machine that had 3 or 4 things on it. Good to do some cardio but nothing fancy.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tamara R
Reviewed October 10, 2007

My Mom and I went for 1 week, we just got back and loved our room, we had an oceanfront view with a balcony. The staff is great. The only issue we had was with Carla, the conciere?manager. The trip list is outdated, we waited 2 hours for a phone call back from Carla to book a trip, she never called us back and I went down to the lobby and the phone number for the trip was the wrong number. Finally we found out the trip was at a hotel and the hotel was closed for renovations. When we checked out the tourist trip was still listed on the sheet!
Management sent us a fruit basket to apologize, which was appreciated. Wonderful place and I definately would go there again!

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank mexico51
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a seven-night vacation at the Solara Surfside Resort where the rooms were nicely decorated with warm vibrant colors and patterns. First, I am against valet parking per I own a two-month-old 2007 Saturn Aura of which I do not permit anyone else to drive due to a prior bad experience. Therefore, when I arrived at the resort, I was staggered when told that the “forced” valet parking [per there is a fee involved] was optional. I was then confronted by blatant sarcasm when told that I could park my vehicle several blocks down the street and feed the meter several times a day if I decided not to utilize the valet parking. Second, I am an IT professional who utilizes the internet daily. Unfortunately, I spent numerous hours in the lobby per that was the only area in the resort with a wireless access point. Arrgh! Third, while in the lobby I witnessed several unsupervised children and preteens chasing one another throughout the lobby, out by the pool and down the corridors, circling the area where I was attempting to read my email, which is only several feet from the check in desk and in plain view of the clerk. Fourth, my wife was attempting to do her daily workout in the fitness room but was interrupted by yet another group of unsupervised children roughhousing and misusing the equipment in a injurious fashion, who might I add are not suppose to be in the fitness area without a parent or guardian or so the sign read. However, when my wife brought this to the Desk Clerks attention she was told, “I thought I saw them in there. I will get someone.” Fifth, the courtesy washer and dryer is a nice addition when available. My wife and I decided to start our laundry on Wednesday to try to beat the Friday rush but were railroaded into a eight an one half hour wait per non courteous residents who started loads but waited hours to finish and retrieve them. In the end, we utilized a washer and dryer on the 5th floor while our unit was on the 3rd floor. In summary, do not waste your money vacationing at this resort unless you like “forced” valet parking, like using the internet in the lobby, are a parent with no intention of supervising your children while on vacation and can wait to do your laundry when you return home.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank michael71
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Booked this through RCI. I have to say I was somewhat nervous. This is not the Ritz Carlton but I is in a good location and perfectly adequate. Room was Okay. Kitchen Well Stock. Bed Decent and the Staff was great. There are complimentary Washers and Dryers on some floor. The beach was nice and the pool was okay. Can't say I used either. I was in Cancun the week before so it was kind of a let down. The A/C was strong. Everything worked. If you had any questions the desk staff was more than happy to help with directions and resturant locations.

Stayed: May 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
Sea View Hotel
Sea View Hotel
#3 of 5 in Bal Harbour
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort

Been to Solara Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!