“Tale of two days- one good, one not so much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise

La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Colorado
“Tale of two days- one good, one not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Note that are two La Quintas directly across the street from each other. Although the main front door had a slopped entrance, the other curbed area near the parking lot did not have any sloped area to drag your suitcase up (must be picked up). This not a problem for me- but could be problem for others & especially disabled people in wheelchairs, etc. I also noticed that the very heavy front glass door had to be opened by hand (I found the mechanical door assist in the inside, but not the outside). I watched several people struggle to try to get their luggage & packages inside & saw a child get momentarily caught in these doors. Thursday check in clerk was helpful, friendly and the hotel was clean. They must not have regular staff over the weekends, because by Sunday check out the hotel was filthy with trash bags & laundry piled up in halls & weekend staff was stressed. One day I still saw housekeeping in the halls after 5-6pm. But the cleaning products used in the room emitted an over-powering smell when you opened the door. The outside trash bins were overflowing & one has stayed knocked over all weekend. Stale breakfast products with limited choice and very crowed breakfast area. Nice wood floor in bathroom area. I probably would not have noticed if not for other reviewers, but if you do stand at the sink, you are visible to the beds & front door both (could be a problem for some guests). Shower ok, but no tub plug- unable to take a bath. There is no bar or handle to place your washcloth in the shower. Many hotels do not have this, but annoying nonetheless. The room door had a gap in it- needs weatherstripping? The beds were ok to sleep in, but had a a very stiff hard edge & were uncomfortable to sit on with legs on floor. Note that hotel was constantly full of shoppers visiting the nearby Sawgrass Mills Mall & they were always in the halls & elevators with their purchases (doesn't sound bad, but many easily overflowed the luggage carts & kept them in use at all times, then left them upstairs in the various halls).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel December 28th 2012 with my spouse and it wa sindeed a pleasure. The rooms were fairly nice and comfortable. The hotel is five minuts away from sawgrass mall so we had blast shopping there everyday for 4 days. Taxis are easy to get and costs around $8 each way.

The hotel is also close to IKEA, and has access to several night spots in the area.
The only negative about his hotel is that the breakfast is poor. you get the same thing ( bagels, breads, cereal and boil eggs) everymorning. The need to improve on that

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cancun
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The room smelled terrible like cigar ,the sofabed was broken and stained, besides we found a dog running off leash down the aisle. very disappointing, we always stay at the same hotel
and each time is more disappointing is a shame as it is convenient its proximity to the places I visit, but I really am considering other options

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the perfect location for a night or two if you are visiting the Sawgrass Mills outlet 10-minutes drive from the hotel. Easy access from the highway and in a nice area with lots of restaurants nearby. The hotel was quite nice and we got a spacious, nice and clean room but the common areas did seem a bit run down. We had booked and paid for a King size room but upon arrival we were told we could only get a room with two beds as some other guests had decided to stay longer. Not what you would expect but luckily we had only booked one night. The complimentary breakfast was ok but the coffee really horrible!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Booked last minute as I had to travel down to South Florida.

They are close to highway and restaurants. Hotel was nice, staff friendly and room was clean and comfortable. Bed was comfortable and sheets were clean. Room was spacious. Breakfast was adequate. My only complaint was the internet was slow and kept dropping signal, not good when you are trying to work. I would stay there again if the need arised

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Santiago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We chose this hotel for its location near Sawgrass Mills Mall. Must say I wouldn't stay here again.
The room was OK... I mean, not exactly "neat and tidy", but decent, except for the couch, which was badly stained and looked filthy. There was an annoying sound in the bathroom if the light was turned on, and it smelled as if something was burning. No idea why.
We made a reservation for 2 adults and a small child. There was only a king bed, so we had to make the bed (once I went downstairs to pick up some sheets and a blanket) for our son. They didn't seem to care very much.
Breakfast was rather poor and the eating area not very clean. After breakfast, just before leaving, I realized there were a few crumbs and cornflakes on the floor that I didn't want to leave there, so I decided to ask one of the cleaning ladies if I could borrow a broom or something to clean that up. They couldn't have been more unfriendly. I was told to "get what I needed" from the storage room in a very rude way. After that, I was tempted to walk away without cleaning anything (the place wasn't exactly clean in the first place) but I didn't.
There's no way I'm ever going back to any La Quinta. Especially after what we payed for. 140 bucks a night, for this.... it must be a joke. We should have stay at the Hyatt Place. Same price and a world of difference.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank CW77
Oviedo, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a nice hotel, overall. The outside looks good. The lobby is large and inviting. We found the people at the desk to be friendly and helpful. Our room was a good size, seemed to have been cleaned well, and the bed was quite comfortable.

The reason for going with the Poor" (2/5) rating is that, throughout our two night stay, everything we encountered told us that the staff/management/whoever was satisfied that they had a nice looking hotel and had no interest in keeping up with the little things or going the extra step to provide a great experience.

- In our bathroom, the toilet paper roll holder was broken off and what was left was a small plastic or metal (don't remember now) piece sticking out of the wall where it used to be.
- The couch in the corner of our room had multiple, large, dark stains on the cushion. My wife and I were unwilling to sit on it because of how disgusting it looked.
- There was a small pile of trash in the corner of the elevator for more than 24 hours.
- Probably the worst part of the experience for us was breakfast. No real complaints about the quality/taste of the food available. The variety of choices available would have been adequate for a $60 per night hotel. At this price point, however, the spread should have been better.
Far more disappointing was how the staff kept up with the breakfast area throughout the morning. That is to say, they didn't keep up with it at all. The number of tables were more or less sufficient to handle the number of people eating at any one time except for the fact that the staff made literally no effort to clean off any of the tables either morning we were there. While I feel that the grown men and women staying at the hotel should have the decency to pick up their plates and walk them to the trash can when they were finished eating, the fact is they didn't. So, unless you were willing to collect and dispose of other guests plates, food scraps, mostly empty cups, and used plasticware and then wipe off the table of crumbs and pancake syrup, you had nowhere to sit to eat. To make matters worse, the counter that all the food was put out on was not cleaned at any point either. So crumbs, syrup, trash etc accumulated right in front of the food throughout the morning as well. The second morning, we just took the food back up to our room so that we would have a place to eat and not be grossed out while doing it

Most of the time, my wife and I stay at hotels much cheaper than this one because we're really almost never in the room except to sleep. We decided this particular weekend, since it was the first time in a long time that we were away together for the weekend, to "treat" ourselves with a nicer hotel. The building we stayed in was nicer and the bed maybe a bit more comfortable than at a significantly cheaper hotel. The former adds no actual benefit and the latter is not worth the price point. If I wanted to go to a hotel that had broken fixtures and stained furniture and where I had to clean up after other guests since the staff seemed unwilling, I would have done so for much less money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunrise
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
3.0 of 5 stars 881 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale/West-Sawgrass/Tamarac
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft Lauderdale - Plantation
Staybridge Suites Ft. Lauderdale Plantation

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise? Share your experiences!