“Great Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

Arrived after 9PM very hungry. We ate in the restaurant, I had a rib eye, my wife had the mahi mahi both very good, (had to try the wife's mahi mahi of course). Finally got to our room satiated and ready for bed. Turned the AC down and slept like a baby which is unusual for me with a first night stay in a strange hotel. My wife and I both felt very secure in our surroundings. Next day we went to the beach and came back to the hotel to swim and sunbath by the pool. It happened to be Wednesday night and to our great surprise they were having a Manager's reception on the interior courtyard by the pool with free beer & snacks, whoooo hoooo. Found out they did this every Tuesday through Thursday. Got to the room to change for dinner and found that the AC was not working very well. We called the front desk and within minutes, the duty engineer was there, fixed the problem and was on the way. Be surprised, this place is out of the way, about 10 minutes from the beach, about 15 minutes from the airport, and about 15 minutes from the casinos. But they have great staff, great rooms, and great amenities, so what can I say, it's a Great Place!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
seantwedt, Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. The managers reception has been a big hit recently. We have that every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 5:30pm-7:00pm. I am glad to hear our staff was quick to assist you with the air conditioning issue. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
Morristown, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I had reserved three rooms for a pre-cruise stay. When we arrived I was told we had "NO RESERVATION" I had called to make the reservation for thee rooms for $98.00 per night. I even called the next day to confirm the reservation. Anita at the front desk was at first very rude about the situation. All Anita could say was that "No one from there location had cancelled our reservations" When you are over 800 miles from your home with no where to lay your head.....WHO cancelled your reservation is of No importance. All I can say is BEWARE and keep your confirmation numbers handy. Otherwise you will end up 10 miles down the road and paying $125,00 instead of the quoted $98.00.....What I think happened is that "My" rooms were given to the highest bidder...which didn't end up being me!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank andrewsmom10
seantwedt, Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. We are investigating the problem you had with your reservation being cancelled to see how and why it was cancelled. We apologize for the inconvenience that had happened.

Travelers are raving about these Sunrise hotels

Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

I stayed at the above mentioned hotel over the last nine months. The hotel has been going thru some renovations but even this going on the quality of service and the staff has gone out of there way to make my stay a very enjoyable one. I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with some feedback from your stays. I am glad to hear you have enjoyed your stays at our hotel and will pass along your comments to our staff. We are working with our staff to provide the best possible customer service to make each and every guest have a positive experience when they stay at our hotel.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Only an overnight stay. We had a renovated room - very large, nice desk, older TV but with good reception. My beef was more the service - on checkin was very friendly, but had to stop in at midnight and get a duplicate key - Jeeze Louise! Staff first ignored me then assisted 2 other guests she knew while making me a key - took 20 minutes! At checkout the next AM, I thought I would be nice and drop off the key, a gentleman well dressed at the desk could have cared less - maybe if nobody goes back he will still care less. Location is right on turnpike which is good, but very far from downtown FL and the airport.

1 Thank islandboomer
seantwedt, Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
I want to thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with feedback from your most recent stay. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the rooms. I am sorry to hear about the staff concerns. We are working with our staff to make sure they understand that our guest's are our main priority. We want everyone to enjoy their stay and receive remarkable service. We hope next time you are in Fort Lauderdale you stay with us again and see the changes in the service culture.
florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

When I entered the hotel the Lobby and the hallway leading the the elevator had a very odor of cigarettes, half the t.v. stations were fuzzy, the shower had signs of mold and housekeeping either does not or forgot to put a bar of soap in the shower,and my wake up call that I spoke to someone live before I went to bed never came.The hotel is under going construction. This Hotel is rated on many travel sites as a 3 and half stars, I have stayed in many 3 and half stars never one like this. If you want at most a 2 star star stay here. I would never go back this hotel even for free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank xnytaxi
We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. We are undergoing some renovations to improve our hotel to give our guests a better experience when they stay here. We will be replacing our TV's with all new Flat Screen Televisions. We hope the next time you come to Fort Lauderdale you give us another try to see the improvements that have been made.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

Booked it thru price line where our profile is nonsmoking. The hotel insisted on giving us a smoking room and refused to switch us. The room was so bad it made our eyes water. It wasn't very clean either. Thankfully price line got us our money back. Run down, noisy, older hotel that's not overly clean; unhelpful and not very friendly staff; and located in a not very good area of town. The trifecta of awful! There are lots of better places to stay in the area at similar prices. Don't stay here!

1 Thank jcardinals
I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience during your last visit to our hotel. We are undergoing renovations and working with our staff extensively to try and offer the best experience to our guests as possible. We hope that next time you visit you will stay with us again so you can see the improvements we have made.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

Let me start by saying you can look at any of my reports and they are honest and non biased. If one problem occurs I do not hold that against the property if they can turn it around in other areas. Well, this place did not turn it around. It was on cruise control going the wrong direction.

We arrived after a full travel day with 2 three year old twins in tow. Tired. Exhausted. We were given a room that was on the 4th floor and far. Not a problem, but a walk. We opened the door to find a full room. Lap top. Papers. Clothing. Wallet. You name it, it was there. Obviously they made a mistake and gave us a room that was occupied. We called the front desk and they told us to come down and get another room key. Not after THAT walk I told them to bring us a new key. They did.

Another room. Floor 4. No air conditioning. No clock. No hangers. No luggage stand. Did I mention no air? It was January and a slight 82 degrees outside. Humidity? Yes. We called the front to ask about the air. "A tech would be right up". About 8 minutes later there was a knock on the door. We were moving rooms again. Not once were we asked if we needed help moving the bags for the 3rd time.

The 3rd and final room. It MUST have been a smoking room prior to the renovation. It stunk of mold and old cigarettes. So far, it was our best option. We settled.

Ok. This room had nice photos on the wall. The same photos as the no air room. The lamps were nice. The rest: not good. Moldy shower curtain. I mean MOLD. Not hidden at all. Disgusting. Shelving would not stay in place. They kept rolling out. Carpet not vacuumed well. Caulking? What Caulking? Oh, wait until you see the AC control panel! A 1980's Motel 6 had a more updated system. I thought about taking pictures of everything so you can see for yourself, but I am not being paid to review so forget it.

Toilet paper was not replaced. Towels ( we asked for 5 large towels every night ) we have twins- never happened. Tonight ( we are here right now) the ice bucket was not cleaned! Nasty day old water remains. The list goes on and on. I disliked this place so much I decided to write my report BEFORE leaving. I figured if and when the next "problem" occurred tomorrow, it probably would not convince you any more than you are convinced now, that this hotel is a one star at best. $50 a night, fine. But that is not what you will pay. You will pay over $100. You will gaze at your wallet as you leave this Holiday Inn through the half working sliding doors, and as you pass the cones and emergency tape in front of the lobby FORCING you to walk into the direct line of moving vehicles to reach your rental car, you will wonder why you did not take me seriously.

The only reason I am giving this place 2 stars and not 1 is because they have agreed to only charge us half price for our first night. Let's see if they actually do that for us.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Baronent
We are sorry to hear about your stay at our hotel. We are undergoing renovations which will include new flat screen televisions in all of our guest rooms and also bringing in new air conditioning units. We have passed your review out to our entire staff and using it as a learning tool on ways we can improve our property. We are training all or our employees to put guest satisfaction as our number one priority. We definitely want everyone to have an enjoyable experience when they visit our hotel. We hope you visit us again and see the changes that have been made.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunrise
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Universal Palms Hotel
Universal Palms Hotel
#80 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,320 reviews

Been to Sawgrass Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!