“Hidden Gem”

Uncle Lui's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Uncle Lui's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 243 Restaurants in Sunrise
Cuisines: German, Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: University Drive
Description: Uncle Lui’s offers family-style dining that crisscrosses Europe. German and Hungarian dishes like goulash and schnitzel are on the menu, as are items like roast duck, chowders and homemade apple strudel. The friendly service adds to the appeal, as do the wallet-friendly prices.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

After several friends told me I must go to Uncle Lui's, a Groupon offer magically appeared. Such a deal! Finally got to go last night and I must agree this is the best deal in Broward County Florida for excellent food in enormous portions at a reasonable price. The price of dinner includes soup or salad, a wonderful potato pancake, the entree, and finally desert and coffee. The vibe is that of a small family restaurant...it is the antithesis of a chain restaurant. We were served by the son and his mom while the father cooked in the kitchen. Everything was delicious. Took an entire meal home with the leftovers, including the great looking desert I never even got to taste. The location is very unusual for a restaurant...off the main road and impossible to find unless you know it is there. All the patrons looked like they had been there many, many times before. We will definitely be returning!

2  Thank MartyB33

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Most people can relate to having a hometown restaurant that never gets old! My father first introduced me to Uncle Lui's in 2010. Four years and several dozen visits later, I still love it as much as the first time. Being of Eastern European descent, Uncle Lui's is as close as it gets to actually dining in Eastern Europe. The best part is you don't have to fly across the Atlantic to get there.

Let me begin with the food since that's what it's all about. My favorite item on the menu is the breaded veal Wiener Schnitzel. It is by far the best I have tasted outside of Eastern Europe. When my family has accompanied me to Uncle Lui's, they too have agreed to this statement. Plus, one plate of the Wiener Schnitzel includes two jumbo-sized delicious pieces. This is the only restaurant I know where you don't have to ask for a take-home container. Rather, at the end of every meal, the staff automatically brings you a take-home container. This truly echoes old world charm! I always order my meal with a side of red cabbage and a side of spätzle, the restaurant's delicious homemade pasta. Spätzle is best described as a lighter and softer version of a gnocchi. On occasion, I've also ordered the creamed spinach. Each meals begin with either a soup or salad and a plate full of homemade potato pancakes. Warn bread rolls are also brought over. For dessert I usually order the home made apple strudel. This is not the bland kind you find at Costco. The apple strudel here is prepared just like you find it back in Europe.

The atmosphere at Uncle Lui's is very traditional Eastern European. The small dining hall is full of "tchotchkes" (misc items). It's like stepping back in time and sitting in someone's home back in old Hungary. I understand that a lot of people are put off by the decor, but let me assure you that the food will really impress you beyond what any restaurant decor possibly could.

As for the service, the family that owns the place is always in the dining hall running everything. It's as family-owned-and-operated as it could possibly get. The place is small enough that you are always attended to.

One of the coolest parts about Uncle Lui's is the very inexpensive takeout menu. Whenever I find myself in a hurry, a quick call and 15-minutes is all it takes to get a delicious takeout meal unlike anything else.

Uncle Lui's is truly a case of "don't judge a book by its cover." Most people drive by and never realize the treasure hidden inside. I'm so glad I was introduced to this place by my father!

2  Thank TheExoticAdventurer
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I recommend this place. You cannot share and the portions are huge. Includes soda, main plate and dessert. The goulash and the lamb are delicious and everything comes with a side and a soup.

The price depends of the choice of the main plate.

1  Thank Andres M
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I remember my mother's cooking when I am here along with all the old-fashioned European simple décor. My last visit was on Wednesday and my next visit is today with another friend. If you are looking for nostalgia and a 'stick to the ribs' meal...this is it. And I don't need to cook tomorrow either. Thanks for still being here for all of us, young and not so young :).
B :)

1  Thank madprofessor22
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Charming décor has retained elements of East Europe because of the potato pancakes, corn chowder, red cabbage, creamed spinach. apple strudel on the menu. These touches were a delightful escape from a typical American diner. When the potato pancakes were plopped on the table with tacit resignation and tiny plastic take-out cups of sour cream and apple sauce and later on the creamed spinach came heavy on corn starch and light on spinach we were disappointed. The restaurant seemed run on routine and outsourced supplies with the 'family' ingredient lost in time. Still, if you prefer soft vegetables and ample servings you might like it.