“Terrible food, attitude from server and hostess, not very clean”
Review of Grand Lux Cafe

Grand Lux Cafe
Ranked #2 of 235 Restaurants in Sunrise
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stuart, Florida
“Terrible food, attitude from server and hostess, not very clean”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I expected that this restaurant would have good food and service based on the beautiful looks of the building but were were sadly mistaken. We came at a time when they were not busy and the hostess gave us an attitude about why we would want our table wiped before we sat down. Someone had cleared the dishes but never wiped the table. The server, Mark, was non-attentive, and rolled his eyes when we asked for silverware and napkins. This was after they brought out the food. I had the asian lettuce wraps and they used a lot of salt to get flavor. My friend had the mac and cheese skillet and it was very dry like it had sat out for a long time. Her Mom had the salmon and it was a very big deal to substitute anything from the stated accompanients. We never got our drinks or water refilled, had to finally take napkins, silverware and bread plates from a neighboring table. I would not go back here.

2 Thank Special12k

dom. rep.
“Really good and great service”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Recently hosted dinner for ten at this exceptional restaurant. Would not have imagined when first tried it that a restaurant adjacent to a discount shopping center could be so good.
The service is inordinately efficient and friendly. The food very good and the desserts deserve a Mischelin star or two.
After enjoying a variety of entres we had dessert, some of which need be ordered half an hour in advance. The chocolate cake filled with dark creamy chocolate served with vanilla ice cream was delicious. My favorite was the banana cream pie. Wow, what a sight and taste. For sure, enough for two.
The decor is Hollywood, 1930's. Big and impressive. Great place for lunch or dinner.

Visited March 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Enjoyed the restaurant, but parking was terrible!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the Grand Lux in Vegas in 2011 and loved it. We made the trek to the Sunrise location purely based on our experience in Vegas. This anticipated meal almost didn't happen because of the parking. I don't mean we couldn't find a spot close to the restaurant, I mean we circled the enormous parking lot for over 30 minutes and couldn't get a spot!! It was after 2pm on a Thursday. I have never seen anything more aggressive than people trying to find a spot in this mall. We decided to leave because it was just too frustrating. When we were driving out of the mall we noticed 1 spot on the other side of the mall. It was a really long walk but really wanted to eat there.

We ordered the fried pickles as an appetizer (tasty and different), I had the carbonara and my husband had the Asian nachos. My meal was really good, but not quite as good as Vegas. I can't really pinpoint the difference, but it just wasn't as good. My husband enjoyed the nachos, but said the same thing - not as good as Vegas.

The food was fresh, hot and we were served quickly by John. The hostess was rude and shouldn't be allowed to greet guests. Overall, if you can find parking I would recommend this restaurant and I would definitely recommend the Vegas location.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Worth the Effort”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Located at Sawgrass Mills Mall, so parking is not so easy, but if you need to drop someone off, they do have a drop off/pick up lane. Our server was terrific until he was given more tables than he could handle at one time..then we didn't see him again until we flagged him down. Still, the Edamame and Eggplant Fritters were unique to GLC and very delicious. Beignets for dessert were not Cafe DuMonde but wonderful nonetheless. I'm not a bread eater, but the sourdough bread on the table was soft, fragrant and tasted terrific.

Boca Raton, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“mixed feelings”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

if I went with first impressions, I would have left immediately! after being greeted by a could care less hostess whose only words to me were name?...how Many?...stand over there we'll call your name! I felt like I was in time out until the seating hostess came. she said nothing but seated us in and enclosed outside area. the racket by the staff moving the heavy iron chairs and tables as well as the crashing of dishes by the bussing staff really was pushing me toward leaving.

Finally, our waitress came to the table and began the upswing in our visit. her quick and prompt service and explanation of the menu smoothed things. the menu was extensive with tastes for all palates and desires. the service and the food were of excellent quality (although the clatter of the rest of the staff as they cleared tables and rearranged the furniture continued even as we were leaving were I was bull horned out of the way of some on carrying chairs to a new configuration in the maze of tables.) Dessert and Cappuccino saved the day.

I will probably return knowing that the food experience outweighed the environment.

1 Thank Bob B