“This is the real thing!”

Pine Court Chinese Bistro
Ranked #48 of 236 Restaurants in Sunrise
Cuisines: Chinese
Delray Beach, Florida
“This is the real thing!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having left New York Chinatown behind, I am always looking for good dim sum in Florida. Until now, that has meant either Toa Toa or Hong Kong Barbecue, both in Tamarac and both serving excellent dim sum, This week I discovered Pine Court Chinese Bistro, which adds the additional touch of push carts to bring the dim sum to the table. It is a very large, no frills restaurant with many banquet sized tables, which is great for large parties. And large parties are more fun for dim sum. The service was very courteous and very prompt, but to be fair, we were there on a weekday and did not have to contend with the weekend crowds. The food was excellent and some items, such as the turnip pudding and several of the dumplings were the best I had eaten anywhere. There were even some items I had never seen before, such as squid in a garlicy fish sauce. This dish was so good that we stopped the cart a second time to get more for the table. I happen to love congee and sticky rice stuffed with pork. Both were delicious and set a high bar for other restaurants to beat. The only reason I did not rate this restaurant as excellent is because the very nature of using push carts limits the choices you can make for the meal. Basically, you can only choose what the server brings to your table. There were some things, like my favorite fried taro balls and jellyfish salad, that were not being served at the time we were there. On the plus side, selecting from a cart allows you to order just what you can eat with minimal leftovers. I can highly recommend Pine Court and can't wait until my next meal there.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank exnorther

Florida
“Excellent food.....crummy service.....”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

First the good: The food is excellent. Clean flavors. Fresh. It is perhaps one, if not the best dim sum restaurant in Broward and Miami Dade counties. But, the service is absolutely terrible or should I say, almost non-existent.

We arrived expecting either to place an order or have the dim sum carts go around and selecting dishes. The problem is that about 15-20 minutes we realized that nobody seemed to remember that there were patrons on our side of the restaurant (and the place was packed so if wasn't only us). Asides from one cart with congee, we ended up walking around the restaurant looking for the food, no kidding. We had to go to the kitchen serving area to get dishes. And the lack of service did not end there. We had to look for utensils, bowls, napkins and even water because nobody offered us even water.

Did I say the food is absolutely great? which is a shame because what the cooks achieve is destroyed by such terrible service. There were two small carts for a restaurant that is listed as having a 200-person capacity!! I approached the girl at the register and another girl and they were as useless as a fork in a bowl of soup.

But when it came to tipping, believe it or not, a gentleman whose only claim to fame was to have brought us water only after we asked for it at the end of our meal, complained about the tipping.....Management of this restaurant has to get the staff caught up with service standards.

Just in case I forgot: The food was excellent. If you like good dim sum and perhaps want to exercise patience go for it grasshopper, just remember to tip the cooks because they do deserve the tips for the quality of the food but servers who don't serve.....well, that is up to you.

• Visited August 2012
Florida
“DIM SUM HEAVEN!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We saw a small advertisement in the Sun Sentinel that led us to this jewel of a restaurant that specializes in authentic Chinese Dim Sum in Sunrise Florida.

The restaurant is located on sunset Strip close to W Sunrise Blvd (838) between NW 105th Lane and N Nob Hill Road in a strip mall near the New York Mart Asian Supermarket (one of the finest Asian supermarkets in S.Florida).

Upon entering one is cordially greeted and led to a table, and then is when the fun starts...you are offered jasmine tea and a procession of carts begin to parade before you carrying the most delectable dishes in small portions for your selection.

Hint: Pace yourself, and take one dish at a time. Do ask them to lift the tops off the food dishes for you to see what is inside as they do not really speak English...just point. The prices for the dishes are tallied on a sheet on your table and are priced according to the size S-M-L. The entrees are varied ranging from shrimp dumplings, soups, stuffed tofu, taro cakes, beef, chicken sticky rice wrapped in leaves and a whole range of other dishes, including sweets.

You control the cost of your meal and only take what looks good to you.If you have taken more than you can finish, as we did, they will gladly give you containers to take the food home.

Nice restaurant with good service and really tasty food. Will go back again, as well as sample the items from the regular menu as they are really interesting.
Don't forget to check out the New York Mart a few doors away...

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Phoenix33
South Florida
“Totally And Surpringly Authentic”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Pine Court Bistro Chinese Resturant is in a newly revitalized strip mall. It was recommended by a colleague. It is the closest authentic dim sum experience I have had since being in China, particularly Hong Kong. The food, which is excellent, comes by way of carts, with everything from soup to dessert carts. There is no menu. You simply point to what you want. There is no way of knowing exactly what is inside that dumpling or how sweet that dessert is. The place was packed, and I was one of the handful of non-Chinese diners there. The wait staff are very nice, but not too many spoke fluent English. The other non-Chinese diners engaged a Chinese family at the next table to assist them in picking items. I had spicy chicken feet, shrimp and pork dumpling, rice flour bean and coconut dessert. Green tea comes with the meal. Portions are generous. This is NOT typical American Chinese food. No chow mein or chop suey here. I was solo, but most tables were larger groups of family and friends.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank pippicane
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Dim Sum & Dinner”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've eaten here many times, the quality is always exceptional and I have never had a problem being served from the carts for dim sum or at dinner. I've eaten Dim Sum in Hong Kong, Hawai and Vancouver and this restaurants is on par with any there. The dinner menu is exceptional and truly authentic Chinese, not American Chinese. I am usually one of the few caucasians eating here and there is a reason that this place is packed with Chinese families.

• Visited July 2011