“Great little hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugarloaf Key
Port Alberni, Canada
“Great little hotel!”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My elderly parents, husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during our visit to Key West in Feb 2011. This hotel is about 20 minutes from Key West and is definitely a world away from the Duval St. zoo! The rooms were pleasant, the views lovely, the staff friendly and we met several locals at the Tiki Bar. The only issue was that the bar did not always serve meals, and there was nowhere close to go to eat. But we would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank cmnarles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
cocoa, fl.
Reviewed May 21, 2011

May 21, 2011 Bruce Shafter, Cocoa Fl.
My wife and I are in our 50's and have stayed in some bad motels in the past but the Sugerloaf Lodge is not one of them. This is an older motel but a clean motel, nice new pool, sleep like a baby beds, beautful view of clear blue water from our back door.I travel weekly and stay in alot of motels and least 35 a year so I know motels and this it a nice place to take your vacation in. You are only 15 mins. from down town Key West. I will tell all my friends about this place and WE WILL BE BACK, thank you for having us.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mynell22
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Don't waste your time or money at the sugar loaf lodge. The place is filthy and is stuck in the '80s. The tiki bar is the only good thing about the place. I have photos of roaches all over the rafters on the walls,and beds. Absolutely inhumane. Checked in saw the room and checked right back out.
HORRENDiOUS!!!!

• Stayed May 2010
8 Thank Colleenclayton
jgoodb, Owner at Sugarloaf Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience, however, those were not cockroaches. They were mangrove beetles which swarm for a few weeks around April. They come out of the mangroves and unlike roaches are attracted to the light. We do what we can with spraying around the windows and my staff is instructed to notify people when they check in. It's possible that a light was left on in your room and they came in through the ducts or under the door. They get into to my house and the houses of many people who live down here. They are harmless but a nuisance. While no bugs are acceptable, these beetles are an unfortunate inconvenience of the the tropics and the Keys in particular. They are not an infestation. Cockroaches scurry away when a light is turned on, they don't hang out on the rafters. Again my apologies.
Western North Carolina
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I chose this hotel because it got good reviews and I was looking for a quiet, good value, and clean place to stay. I liked the vintage retro feel. This hotel is still run by members of the originial family who started it back in the 60's. Alot of the same furniture, fixtures, etc are still in the room which is cool. Also nice is that all rooms overlook the water. What isn't cool is the nightly room charge as it is a frills hotel. No internet in the rooms, cell phones don't work in the room (they work outside the rooms), no coffee maker, no clock or radio, thin towels and bedspreads from the 1980's. The positives are it is very clean and the beds do sleep well, it's very quiet and if you don't want to deal with the Key West element, this is a great location. There's a nice pool and tiki bar with a sandwich menu plus they do offer free continental breakfast. I did a lot of research on this hotel and thought it would be perfect for me. I felt like it is a very overpriced hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank CurlygirlNc
Norris City, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We have stayed here in years gone by and recommended it to others BUT the years have gone by in neglect!!!! Someone seriously needs to take a scrub brush to the place. I cut my foot on the tack strip between the carpet and tile floors. We left early Sunday morning to spend the day in Key West. When we returned at 9:30 p.m., our first floor room door was wide open. The housekeeping staff had left it open. Thankfully nothing was missing. Of course, I didn't sleep well after that shock. Then there was no hot water for showers the next morning. They took $30 off the bill, but I should have had a free night. Over priced and needs bunches of TLC.

6 Thank SandyRun
st.aiugustine
Reviewed March 15, 2011

While I appreciate the concept of "retro", I do not believe that it should equate to filthy conditions. The bathroom was filthy beyond words--the bottom of the tub had blackish-grey growth both inside and out. The grout between the floor tiles was black--NOT a colored grout. It smelled moldy. The sink faucet had crud growing on it too. This is not a matter of being old; it is pitiful housekeeping. I wish I had taken photos so that others could see how bad it really was. Friends staying in a nearby room had a clogged toilet and the hotel people brought him a plunger and said "Here you go." Had there been a vacancy within 50 miles, we would have left. Also, the pricing is definitely questionable. the website listed the price as $160.00, but the actual cost was $180 per night. The ONLY positive thing I can say about the place is that they did not have bedbugs. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU CAN AVOID IT.

5 Thank wrldtrvler_11
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Someone called this retro. Damp, dark, dingy, outdated and way overpriced but can get the money for it just because it is on the Keys. Good for fishermen, divers and the like. Sevice desk not at all friendly or helpful when you could get them to show up. It IS on the water but don't expect to put your feet in it - not swimable.

7 Thank marylou44
Parmer's Resort
Parmer's Resort
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa,...
#1 of 2 in Little Torch Key

Been to Sugarloaf Lodge? Share your experiences!