“Would not go again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugarloaf
Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA
Venice, Florida
“Would not go again”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Pros: decent bathrooms (family/single showers, tv inside, air conditioned), washers and dryers (bring a crap load of quarters if you plan on using them), lots of sites, good location. There were also neat iguanas roaming the camp ground.

The Cons: employees are hit or miss. One man on the golf cart harassed us the entire time, was very rude, and circled around our site about every 5 minutes. Wifi does not work, Some sites are a long walk away from the restrooms, and somewhat expensive. There are a ton of no see ums so bring a whole bunch of bug spray if you plan on coming here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JS11420

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 11, 2013

the upside:
+ location

the downside:
- freezing bath rooms (aircon seems to run on full power the whole day)
- not working WiFi (staff doesn't seem to bother that)
- reservation call: staff told us how important is to book a day ahead, in fact more than the half of the campground was deserted
- very expensive
- bad shape of playground

.. this is definitely not what you could expect from a KOA campground. Not worth the money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tremo_ch
Frankfort, Kentucky
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Though I did not actually stay at this campground due to my experience with reservations I never will. Made my reservations over 6 months in advance. Specifically ask about having to cancel since they require money up front. I was told there would be no problem as long as I cancel in advance. Due to my father being diagnosed with cancer I called to cancel over 4 months prior to my arrival date. The first lady I spoke to was very nice and was going to give me a full refund and without my even asking she also was going to refund the money I had spent on a KOA card that I was talked in to when I initially made my reservations. However, while on the phone with her I realized I did not have my credit card in front of me and told her I would call right back. I did call back within 5 minutes but received a different customer rep. This lady was RUDE from the beginning, she informed me they would be keeping 10$ of my money and would not refund the KOA card(which I have no use for this year). When I told her the first lady I had spoke with was going to give me a full refund her answer was "Well she is new". I had intended to reschedule with this campground but now now.....NEVER. If they are this desperate for money I do not want to spend time at their campground....Beware when making reservations with people like this, I assure you I have done business with many campgrounds, most are not like this, most do not even ask for money upfront.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank slwillard67
Wedowee, Alabama
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a wonderful KOA. Staff was great and allowed us to move sites. We stayed during Hurricane Sandy, and were there during Fantasy Fest. Interesting dynamics! Staff was helpful and friendly, and they have a great tiki bar. Very pretty grounds in great location, just a beautiful beach and water for purfect sunsets. You can catch the bus nearby to downtown Key West for excellent food and shopping.

Room Tip: This is for RV or campers
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer K
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for fantasy fest in key west so everything was very busy on the islands and this was the closest campground we could get to key west. The tent space was pretty big and we had no trouble arriving late at night. The beach isn't much of a beach, it is very rocky and we didn't even go in the water. They suggested going to the Winn Dixie 10 miles up the road but we found a place called Murrays food market that was closer and had basics like lunch meat and bread. It was windy the first two nights so that kept the mosquitoes down, but there were some the third night. I highly recommend bringing plenty of bug repellant when camping in south Florida.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jett248
Big Pine Key, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Do the pictures at the entrance to this campground say: Welcome Friend - Have a Nice Stay ...
or do they say: Welcome To the Pirates Den ?

Maybe the first picture is a representation of the attitude of the staff who ride around all day on their carts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank herenowjal
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

this is a beautiful campground which has a beautiful beach..we reached around 20:00 PM and get the location..No one is camping when we were there...we have bitten with mosquitoes or other insects while setting up the tent so badly...Normally, mosquitoes do not bite me but I have bitten at least 10-15 within 20 minutes...We did not count the bites for my wife :)) 30-40 :))
Mans restroom is clean but my wife told me that woman's restroom is not in the good shape/condition..on the top of that this is the expensive camp spot for us...we wanted to stay couple nights but changed the plan stay one night and left

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oznar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugarloaf
Parrot Key Hotel and Resort
Sugarloaf Lodge
Sugarloaf Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sugarloaf Key
Parmer's Resort
Parmer's Resort
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa,...
#1 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina
Looe Key Reef Resort
Looe Key Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in Ramrod Key

Been to Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA? Share your experiences!