“Nice experience!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dothan, Alabama
“Nice experience!”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here for lunch. We are not local so we depended on the ratings to find us a good place. They have a lunch menu but it only has a few items and I really wanted scallops so we ordered from the dinner menu. I had scallops and my husband had flounder. Both were grilled. It was very yummy! There was a plate full of scallops and my husband had three filets, at least, of flounder. The potato salad from the salad bar was really good also. The atmosphere and building itself leave a little to be desired and the service was just OK. The dinner menu was pricey but the portions were huge! We probably could have shared a meal and came away satisfied.

Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
“Really Good Seafood!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were traveling down the coast, stopped here, my friend had been here before, loved it.
It seems to be a local's spot, which, if busy, is always a good indication, which it was. We were there for lunch, server was friendly, very prompt. My friend ordered raw oysters, a staple of that area. Unfortunately, they were totally out. They have been experiencing a tough harvest, apparently due to high salinity in the water. We split the 3-item combo plate, fried shrimp, fried flounder, and blackened scallops. The scallops were perfect, tender and spicy. The flounder is a must if you have not had it fresh, nothing like the frozen in the grocery store. We still had some to take home, very generous portions. Other cooking options are available, as well as other seafood choices. That comes with hushpuppies and the salad bar, which was very fresh, with lots of choices. The potato salad and macaroni salad were excellent!
Roy's is just what one would expect…really good food, relaxed Gulf atmosphere, beautiful view.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank saj1001
Atlanta, Georgia
“Personal visits 3 times”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Kept hoping this restaurant would live up to the expectations but was disappointed each time.
The seafood was good but was overpriced compared to the few other choices in Steinhatchee.
The prime rib - a very generous portion - was half fat meat and not very flavorful. I expected much better for $28.
Salad bar was average as was the service. The servers were congenial but seemed limited in their capability since "They only worked there" and had no control of the quality of the meals served.
From what I've heard and observed the current "Roy's" is not what it used to be.
The best part of the experience was the great view of the river and sunset !

• Visited October 2013
“Awesome food!”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Went there for an out of the way anniversary lunch. The food was great. Best prime rib sandwich ever, my husband had the grouper sandwich which he said was equally as good. The salad bar was good, and their homemade German potato salad is awesome. Everyone there was very nice, definitely worth the drive.

Visited October 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Roy's for Delicious Gulf Seafood”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Roy's is the local favorite for seafood. Visiting the past month, my family and I dined at Roy's three times. The sweet, juicy scallops kept calling us back. We simply loved their scallop stew, a big bowl, with a big handful of scallops. We also greatly enjoy the crispy fried mullet and oysters. They also have a small salad bar, for those enjoying that. Service is a bit slack, but just have another frosty beer and anticipate your freshly caught, freshly cooked dinner.

This week culminates their month long scallop season in Steinhatchee, Florida. Roy's is right on the Steinhatchee river, a mile from the Gulf of Mexico ... the sunsets are fabulous. Ask to dine outside on their deck, often a guitarist is whirling through his favorites. Old Florida charm abounds here in this small fishing community, they're among the kindest people I've ever met.

• Visited September 2013