“Definitely had better...” 2 of 5 stars

Rodeway Inn South Miami - Coral Gables
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Miami
“Definitely had better...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Okay, let's start with the good, since it won't take long: The hardwood floors are nice, the AC works (probably a little too well), and the room we had was pretty big. Now for the bad: When I booked the hotel, I was told it was only a 15 minute drive from South Beach and the airport. Turns out it is more like an hour for both. I called for the shuttle while we were at the baggage claim in the Port of Miami. At first the lady says it will take 30 minutes, but then we will have to call back when we are outside and THEN they will send a shuttle (because everyone loves to wait outside in the sweltering heat of Miami, right?). Then when I called back a few minutes later they said their shuttle was down and I would have to pay for a cab and they will reimburse me. We take a $40 cab ride, and then when we got there, we were told there is going to be a $30 fee for checking in early (even though they didn't bother to tell us that when we called them for the shuttle, or put it in the terms when I booked the room online), and a $2.00/night fee for a safe we won't be using. So much for that reimbursing, huh? They don't have an iron in the room, and if you want laundry done (even just a wash and dry), you have to have it sent out and hope it comes back before you leave. The shuttle to the airport leaves at 8 AM and then doesn't leave again until 1, so if your flight leaves any time in between, like ours, you're stuck at the airport for hours. There is nothing around it in terms of restaurants or anything but a little sub shop and an Einstein's Brothers Bagels. The closest mall is Dadeland Mall. Yup, THAT Dadeland Mall. I guess we got what we paid for, but it would have been nice to have been informed about all the fees and had a little more professional service. I don't mind paying as long as I am aware, but not letting people know until they get to the front desk is sheisty and unprofessional.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Platinumone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

First of all, I do not find this property to be as terrible as described. My stay was pleasent and comfortable. I really paid $36.00 on travelocity hidden hotels. The shuttle was there in the time I was told, yes the rooms can use some touch ups, cleaning could be slightly better, but for the price paid, I believe the hotel is a good deal. For a quick one night stop over was just fine. The breakfast is pretty lame, some kind of orange juice, and bread. The staff was really friendly and polite, the shittle did not smell bad like it was reported in the past, driver was also really nice.

I will warn you that the hotel smells a lot like humidity, and there are some mold patches around the hotel, if you are allergyc to mold then stay away.

If you are looking for a comfortable 1 to 1 1/2 star hotel then this place is fine.

Grounds inside the hotel/ pool can use some work.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room inside the main building.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank esaldana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I've been in hotels and hostels all over the world but this hotel is just lame. Understaffed, that should tell you how clean the bed sheets could be. The room has an odor of old ciggarette. They charge you $8 per day for parking and a MANDATORY $2 fee for the safe, which they charge regardless you use or not. If you add up all that you can afford something better (holiday inn or alike) so the argument "you get what you pay for" does not apply because it ends costing a lot. Stay away from hotwire and "miami best (worse) hotel". I would rather use airbnb. I never write a review but it is that bad. Unfortunately hot wire did not allow me to change.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
4 Thank andrecarvalhoo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I got a room on hotwire for 48$ per night. After i found out the name of the hotel and went to see the reviews i got scared! Turns out it was nothing to worry about: the lobby is nice, but the rooms are very basic, yet clean and functional. Rooms has somewhat ugly furniture but has been renovated somewhat recently (5 years perhaps?), bathroom was even newer and clean. My guess is that this used to be a really good hotel that didn't break even so they just repurposed it as a cheap hotel until they figure out what to do with it.

I've read all sorts of stuff in the reviews: people feeling unsafe in the parking lot at night (what? this is a very nice professional-medical area. nothing interesting walking distance, but looks fairly safe to me. this person probably saw a brown dude for the first time and got scared), moldy carpets (my room had fake linoleum, the corridors had carpets which were in good condition), basic breakfast (what do you expect, you're paying 50$ per night! the following night i went to a 120$ per night hotel and they gave me no breakfast), AC difficult to control (it has a thermostat + hi/mid/lo control, this person must not be very clever), drug deals in the lobby (whaaaaaat? the lobby is the best part of the hotel and is very quiet, full of old nice people and young people watching netflix on the free wifi).

Not worth 4 stars, but I have to somehow balance out the people who gave the place 1 star because they paid 50$ per night and did not get a plasma TV. Only thing i did miss even for a 50$ hotel is the wifi, which is only in the lobby (hotwire does not differentiate between room wifi and lobby wifi).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
9 Thank Riccardo P
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed for one night and never again! The staff is not very friendly or pleasant. Totally would not recommend this place. I think booking at another place would be a better option. At this place, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DashtheMap
Billings, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We booked this hotel in a package with Expedia. I checked out the reviews and read that generally it wasn't a great hotel but was OK for one night. Not looking for anything special, it seemed like that would work. The price included free wifi (SUPER SLOW AND NOT IN THE ROOM), free airport shuttle (STOPS AT 10 PM AND OUR FLIGHT CAME IN AT MIDNIGHT), free continental breakfast (This breakfast consisted literally of coffee, cheerios, a couple (as in maybe three total) pieces of fruit.)
The kicker though was the rooms. Our linens were riddled with cigarette burns, the bathtub had pubic hair, we were given 2 towels for four people and the windows were screwed shut. Our cousins' room had mold on the walls, blood on the bedskirt and the water didn't stop running.
My first clue should have been the contract which said we would be charged for a whole night even if we only used the room for 10 minutes or less! RED FLAG!!!! ... or maybe the two prostitutes in the lobby could have been another clue. Take my advice and don't believe the hype!

Room Tip: don't have expectations
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CarpeDiemMT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and I have stayed in 5 star resorts in various locations...when I travel personally I do not require much and usually go for the regular or low fair hotels so I have stayed at both ends of the spectrum.

Granted this place needs to be updated and some serious Reno money invested, but at the same time the general location is not a tourist oriented so may never "boom".

This hotel provided exactly what I paid for a clean room, clean bathroom and bed. Granted it is older so it does not have the fresh new look but if you judge it for what it is and what it costs it's well worthy of at least a 4 star.

The only reason I wouldn't give it five stars (again based on what I paid) is that I had to pay to park in their garage and the continental breakfasts was...very basic.

Other than that clean pool, clean rooms and awesomely nice staff.

Stayed July 2014
Quality Inn South at the Falls
Sleep Inn at Miami International Airport
Comfort Suites Miami / Kendall
Cambria hotel & suites Miami Airport - Blue Lagoon

Been to Rodeway Inn South Miami - Coral Gables? Share your experiences!