“I had a change of heart during my final day at this hotel”

Rodeway Inn South Miami - Coral Gables
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Miami
Las Vegas, Nevada
“I had a change of heart during my final day at this hotel”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

At first, I was going to write a review and say "Never stay here." I had to change rooms 3 times due to them putting me in a smoking room when I asked for non smoking. I will be truthful and say that this hotel has seen better days. The rooms are old and outdated, beds are not the most comfortable and I didn't receive wi-fi in my room. I shared my room with 3 other friends as we were in Miami for a mutual friend's wedding.
We began to notice that it seemed as though people were actually living in their hotel rooms.
We thought maybe it was some sort of half way house?
It came to my attention during my final day at the hotel.....right before check out that Yes, people do live at the hotel. Why? Because the hospital is right next to the hotel and people are living at the hotel because they are receiving long term medical treatment or they have a loved one receiving long term medical treatment. I met a very kind woman who said she stays there every time her son has facial reconstruction surgery due to a car accident.
There was my change of heart. When I realized why people were living at the hotel I thanked my lucky stars that I wasn't in their position.
So what, the breakfast wasn't the best, the bath towels were limited and the wi-fi didn't work. We were within walking distance to a wonderful mall with a lovely french bakery and an amazing Irish pub. Einstein Bagels was across the street and the metro line was 2 blocks away.
The front desk clerk was one of the most nicest men I have ever met. His name was Gilberto and he went out of his way to make our stay as comfortable as possible.
If you do decide to stay here, you'll survive, it's not as bad as most of the reviews.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jae B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
AUS
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Not close to cruise port, dirty, wifi is only in lobby, airport shuttles run very few times. It is residential for a lot of older people and they do food drops there in the afternoon. We heard a staff member being extremely rude to an elderly man.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica M

Travelers are raving about these South Miami hotels

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I booked this hotel for 3 nights in Miami. The pool was small and I was disappointed when I could not get any extra towels. We had to chase down the house keepers to get some. The hotel had no ice whatsoever or any ice machines that worked in the whole hotel. There was very little to the continental breakfast; two or three pieces of fruit, one choice of juice and a bowl of one choice of cereal and a couple mini muffins.
I understand it's Florida, but would somebody please speak english!
This is it decent hotel f your just looking for a clean nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport, walking distance to a whole bunch of shops, bars and restaurants. The building looks to be something from the 1960's. Based on observations the management is doing a makeover. My room was nice but very plainly done. The TV worked well but was an old-style versus flat screen. If you are looking for a luxury resort, this isn't the place. If you need a place to stay before heading out somewhere else, this could be your first or last stop in south FLA. I found the service to be pleasant. Staff took time to give me a number of food tips.
Now for some constructive criticism for management: The safe charge of 2 bucks a night reflects poorly on your property. Most people read this as a hidden gotcha designed to screw the guests out of money. I have condemned high end hotels for safe charges, resort fees and internet fees. This is old school and viewed poorly by the general public.

I will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank H
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is good and we didn't have problems like the others reviews said here. The localization is good. The room is comfortable, but the hotel is good to sleep and not to spend time. The garage has a bad structure, but the price for parking is better than other places. All the fees and charges that people were talking about are in the website, we took a better look after reading the reviews. We were afraid about the robbers, but the room can be locked.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Garden City, Kansas
Reviewed February 25, 2014

It is clever that they named this hotel something that quickly will pull it up on a web search - but it really should be "WORST Miami Hotel". Simple adjectives will sum it up... dirty, falling apart, smelly, hard beds, noisy rooms, trashed van, CHARGES for a safe you never use including tax on it, dirty pool...... Everytime we went past the front desk the girl was on the phone explaining to someone why they do not give refunds! PAY MORE MONEY and stay ANYWHERE ELSE!!! This place should be rated ZERO!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Regency Hotel Miami
#38 of 122 in Miami
Miami Marriott Dadeland
#69 of 122 in Miami

Been to Rodeway Inn South Miami - Coral Gables? Share your experiences!