“Questionable hygiene, low quality sushi, POC is 100 times better”

Kyojin Japanese Buffet
Ranked #12 of 87 Restaurants in South Miami
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is one of two sushi buffet restaurants in the South Miami area. This place is dancing on the border of hygiene and made me second guess grabbing any sushi just by the dingy dank look to the place, and rags just laying around the food. I didn't want to judge before I tried it, but first impressions are usually accurate. First off, I question if the sashimi is truely 'sushi grade' fish. The salmon sashimi was ok, tuna and white fish awful. Actually, any tuna pieces had a fishy taste. There are plenty of fried food options, if American Chinese take out food is your thing. I wanted to give them credit for homemade desserts, but witnessed an employee re-stacking the desserts from a box located in the freezer under the buffet. I was going to give it a higher rating when I assumed it would be a lower price per person vs. POC in Coral Gables, but there was a $2 difference (a sushi buffet done right, easily 5 stars). I am appaled this place is so popular. Most customers obviously don't realize there is an amazing place for the same price, just a few minutes up the road. Please do not eat here, it is awful.

2  Thank cason q

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This resturaunt was great. When we arrived we were seated quickly. We got our drinks immediately as well. The food was great, it started out as a Chinese section with hibachi and noodles. Then there was sesame chicken. Soon after there was a grill the food on the grill was excellent. And finally there was 30 different varieties of fresh sushi. I enjoyed the food very well

1  Thank Danny G
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I ate here last night with my family. I hadn't been here in a couple of years. (Now I remember why...) First of all, it's expensive at $19.95/per person for dinner for the quality of food they serve. The quality of the food was BELOW AVERAGE. I've had better quality food at cheap $10 and $15 buffets. The sushi tasted like it had been sitting there for hours, STALE and hard. The crab legs were extremely SALTY, which leads me to believe that they probably soak them in salt/brine to be able to serve them a bit longer. EWWW.

This is NOTHING compared to what happened when we went to pay our bill. Our server handed us the bill. We decided to pay part of it with cash and put the rest on a credit card. Once we were done placing the money inside the black payment sleeve, the server then walks over, opens it and she begins to COUNT the money at the table! I have never been to any restaurant - one star or 5 stars where they actually count the money at your table in front of you! This place is in a nice area-SOUTH MIAMI, not in the ghetto. Did she think that we were going to short-change her!? BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Once she's done counting, she shakes her head in what we felt was disappointment and walks away to process the credit card.

Hold on. Keep reading. This were it gets even better... She comes back to the table with my credit card receipt & says in these exact words: "You only tipped $14. I am sorry." I then asked her: "Is there a specific policy on tipping, a certain percentage we have to give?" (As certain restaurants do.) She then points to the tip guideline 15%= $X, 20% = $X etc. at the bottom of the receipt. It's the basic GUIDELINE that every restaurant prints out on receipts!! We gave her 10% which is what we always give to servers at buffets, which are basically just picking up plates.

So what we did was we left her a shiny new penny on the table for her extra courteous service.

As we walked away from the table, we saw her angrily talking to a co-worker and pointing. REALLY!?

Next time when I'm in the mood for a real Asian buffet, I'll head over to Shinju on Sunset Drive or to P.O.C. in Coral Gables and spend $2 more dollars and have a better food and service.

After the way we were treated, I won't be coming back.

2  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Seems unclean, food is insipid at best. Avoid. This place really must be on the edge of health code violations. Perhaps the grill station is ok but i would avoid all else.

1  Thank Aa11bb
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We've been to Kyojin numerous times, and we've always had a great experience. The long sushi bar offers a huge variety of scrumptious specialties, including sashimi. I love the fresh cubes of white tuna! It seems that they also vary their sushi selection, as we found different creations on the buffet than last time. Overall, there must be over 40-50 different creations available - so something for everyone's taste!

In addition, they also offer cooked Asian food, including a variety of soups, sesame chicken, spring rolls, tempura shrimp, etc. If you like seafood, they also have peel-and-eat shrimp and fresh mussels.

To finish it up, they also offer a variety of desserts, including a chocolate fountain. However, it appears that there are only marshmellows to dip.