“Delicious and enjoyable meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain's Tavern

Captain's Tavern
Ranked #2 of 81 Restaurants in South Miami
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Wildwood, New Jersey
“Delicious and enjoyable meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was told this is a favorite place of locals and that all the fish is caught by boats owned by the restaurant. A group of nine of us dined, and most of us had the half-pound lobster special. My wife said it was the best she had had in a long time. I was a tiny bit disappointed with the admiral’s variety platter; I felt the lobster was a little stringy and slightly chewy, but otherwise good. Service was exceptionally quick; we were served the appetizer in just a few minutes. The calamari and tuna sushi were excellent but the edamame were a little too salty. The key lime pie was great. The only thing wrong with it was that it was so good everyone wanted a bite. If you are in the mood to splurge at $25-30 a plate, The Captain’s Tavern is good place for a very enjoyable and delicious meal!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank movieglue

New York City, New York
“Poor quality.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

I was born in Miami and over the years we've both eaten a lot of seafood in the South Florida area. We come back frequently. So during our last trip, we thought an old-school Miami seafood restaurant would be fun.

I wasn't fazed by the bread or salad, as I never expect anything from the bread or salad in this kind of place, and they lived up to my expectations.

But I thought a restaurant that also ran a seafood market would surely have good quality seafood. Captain's Tavern has proven me wrong.

The shrimp had no flavor. I've had more flavor in a piece of plain tofu. And it wasn't just one shrimp, but the whole order.

The Pompano in the Pompano Macadamia was actually good, but it was ruined by a sodden coating. They described it on their menu as a nut crust, but it was actually stale-tasting, with the consistency of greasy mush.

I told the friendly waiter in a very nice way that the food was disappointing, and what was wrong with it. He shrugged and said "Really?". Then he rushed off, only to be seen again with the check.

So our experience consisted of a fairly sizable wait for a table, followed by poor food, served by a friendly but disinterested waiter.

The next day we had terrific shrimp at La Camaronera that actually had shrimp flavor. No atmosphere, but for a fraction of the price of Captain's Tavern.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Rick E
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Great food - Seating area a bit tight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Finding this restaurant is a bit of a challenge given it's location. However, that is what navigation is for these days. In any event, this restaurant is offers really great seafood at a pretty reasonable price.

I wish this restaurant had the option to make reservations. I have never gone and not had to wait at least 30 to 40 minutes. After the wait you are seated and they have done a great job for squeezing tables into every single spot they can in the restaurant. The restaurant can use a face lift on the inside.

Now on to the good stuff - we have never had a waiter that did not know the menu really well. They made great suggestions and we did not have to wait long for our food. The deserts are also great. I enjoyed the lobster, my dad enjoyed the whole fried fish, the coconut shrimp was great also.

In addition to not taking reservations, my only other "knock" on this restaurant is the fact that they do not provide refills rather quickly. There were several times I wanted water and had to try to grab someone's attention while trying to enjoy my food.

• Visited February 2014
Coral Gables, Florida
“Fresh seafood ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

The great:
Captain's Tavern has some of the best deals I've seen on stone crabs, Maine and Florida lobster.
Inexpensive wine list
Very fresh seafood
Some of the best potato skin fries you can find
Great cracked conch and grilled fish dishes

The weird:
the crowd, while there are families, there are so very many old people in walkers or simply incredibly old people.
I've never seen anything like it.
There are absolutely no windows anywhere.
The fried/pan seared fish dishes are drenched in butter, stay away from those dishes.

All in all I'm always hard pressed to find good seafood in Miami and when I come to Captains tavern, I always leave happy and satisfied.

Muret, France
“Lot of wait for an average seafood meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at 7:30pm for dinner... I was told by an unfriendly hostess I would have to wait for 20 minutes, which was OK. I had a beer at the bar, but had to wait for 40 minutes instead. Maybe because I was alone?

Once I got seated at last, the waiter advised me to pick the Tuesday lobster special (two for one, one pound each). I did .., and sort of regretted it! Small, far too cooked, no taste... Really disappointed!

I hoped the dessert would make the difference. I opted for the Rum Cake. Portion was HUGE, but it was too dry for me, definitively missing Rum dressing.

The bill was quite reasonable. But based on this experience, I would say this restaurant is overrated on TA.

5 Thank Djaidje_31600