“ONE OF MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTS!”

Akashi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 91 Restaurants in South Miami
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The restaurant is located right on the corner of U.S. 1 & S.W. 71st ST. There is metered parking diagonally across the restaurant or you can park at the Sunset mall parking garage at the end of the street. The restaurant is very quaint. It gets crowded very easily, especially during the weekend, but the wait is worth it. They do take reservations.

Looking at the place from outside you wouldn't think anything of it, but once inside, it feels like you're eating at a sushi restaurant in Japan. The interior is dark with bamboo glass panels along one wall, there's a large fish tank behind the sushi bar it's light illuminating the back area & small tables lined along each wall & down the center. You really can't hear the traffic coming from U.S. 1. The only noise you will get will be from your fellow "foodies".

The food is amazing. I've had many dishes here & I have no complaints. I recommend the Dragon roll, Alex #2 roll, Volcano (spicy), Kani-su, or the pan fried tilapia. The sushi is very fresh and tasty. I think the only downside you may experience is with the servers. I guess because the place is so small & gets quite busy they are always in a rush & not as attentive as other places. They are not mean nor do they rush you and when I've asked for their opinion they give it but do keep in mind they will be darting back & forth. Either way, I always go back for the amazing food! Hope you have a good experience as I've always had.

1  Thank MERZ33

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We walk in looking for Raw another Sushi place around the area but when we talk in it was nice an quit and we were happily greeted at the door and I look at my girl friend ans said what the hell lets go in. Amazing service all smiles and the sushi was nice and fresh. I love it there felt like we were not in Miami any more.

2  Thank DreamerOfNights
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This place has the best sushi-hands down! I prefer the one in the Grove, mainly bc it is smaller and closer to my house. The Alex 2 Roll is the best!! They both are good and I know the one in the Grove delivers..not sure about the S.Miami one. We always take our dog and sit outside (in the grove). This one is nice too :)

1  Thank pagetravelers
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The food was great, but the nasty old lady sucked. I have lived around the corner and never been here till now. I will probably be back I hope it was an isolated incident.

1  Thank TommyReyes85
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Went here in December '10. Doesn't look like much from the outside (on main road, backs onto an outdoor carpark but looks can fool anyone.

The inside decor is lovely, with a huge tropical fish tank behind the bar. Very busy - we didn't book for Saturday lunch but were lucky to get a table, and we arrived fairly early.

Amazing selection of sushi/sashimi/teppenyaki/tempura.

We had the lunch special with both sashimi and sushi and it was absolutely amazing!

And very reasonable prices too, far better than other Japansese we have found on the east coast.

Highly recommended!