“Excellent and Innovative Tapas in Fun Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barceloneta - CLOSED

Barceloneta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Miami
“Excellent and Innovative Tapas in Fun Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Came here for lunch last month with my husband. This South Miami restaurant, part of the Pubbelly group, has a counterpart in South Beach. The star logo out front looks like a postage stamp, and gives you an idea of the international inspiration (Spain) that influenced the owners to start a place where "good food, drinks and people" come together. The atmosphere, with wine crate tables, bare bulbs hanging from high ceilings, mexican tile and Latin music, is casual and fun. The big screen TV was thankfully on mute. Finally- a tapas place to get excited about!. Mixing old style tapas, with innovative new twists, the emphasis here is on taste and creative presentation. I loved this place and would return in a heartbeat, preferably with a group to get the most of the variety of tapas. You are presented with a small dish of green olives when you sit down to munch on as you peruse the menu. Since we were alone, I opted for the "Plat del dio", a prix fix menu that came with a drink (I got wine), salad, main course and dessert or coffee for $21. The wine list has Old World and new wines from Spain and France. There is also beer and cocktails available. While sipping my tinto (red wine with lemon drink), I ate an amazing frisee salad with hard boiled quail eggs, fried bacon chunks (porkbelly?) and a yummy dressing. The only thing I would have liked better was if the egg was poached, but it was delicious. The chicken cannelloni, came covered in cheese in a traditional clay tapas plate. With dark meat and bechamel sauce, it was rich and good, (the cheese had a nice burnt crust on it) although, it reminded more of Italy than Spain. The flan, which my husband described as "heavenly" tasted more creme brulee than flan, carmelized, with ground burnt sugar bits dusting the top. Yummy! My husband got a couple tapas for lunch (and ate some of my meal). Fried calamari had a light crunchy batter and came with black ink aioli, a nice twist on this ubiquitous dish. The only miss we had was the scallops my husband ordered. They came with thin ribbons of zucchini and were plump, cooked well and looked beautiful, but lacked a bit in the flavor department. A dipping sauce (aioli?) would have been nice. Our waitress was efficient and helpful, making suggestions on the menu, which is a little hard to navigate. There are cheeses, flatbreads, dishes from the mountain, orchard and ocean, as well as oysters and scallops sold by the piece, rices and Bistro dishes to choose from. I watched as dishes went by us- the fried potatoes and mussels looked good and I would like to return to try the Porkbelly and Clams ($13) and Squid Ink Meatballs. They certainly like their squid ink here!

• Visited February 2013

Miami, Florida
“Good Luck trying to Tapa This place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Wonderful and different, small plate restaurant. With some of the best original menu items we've ever tasted. Varied wine list - all from Spain. Don't miss the Rabo (oxtail without the bones) and polenta. The snapper seviche - too die for! Save room for desert. Worth the extra cost. Serving staff were very attentive and nice. They are open for lunch. Live Flamenco on Thursday night. Plan to go again and again.

• Visited February 2013
“Polenta Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great new place in South Miami. It's a gem of a Spanish Restaurant in a city with a cuban Cafe on every corner. Expect authentic Tapas and Spanish wines only on the list. the Escargot with Rabbit Sausage is one example of the great Tapas plate they have starting at $5 and up to a full plate for $27. It's a regular stop for us now. Happy hour is from 5 to seven pm. Great Service too.

Visited January 2013
Miami, Florida
“Great new addition to South Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a lovely dinner at Barceloneta in South Miami. Spanish Tapas and Wine Bar from the Pubelly group is a great addition to SoMi. We were pleased with every dish we tried. I especially loved the paella which is traditional Spanish style, not the cuban mushy rice style that we see so often in Miami. It was perfect! We also had cheese and jamon platter, stuffed peppers, short ribs, a lovely salad. They don't take reservations and are not open for lunch yet. My only criticism was that the music was too loud and it's noisy acoustically to begin with. I will definitely go back and have a feeling this could be my new "go to" place in SoMi.

• Visited January 2013