“Great campground for some quality time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Juniper Springs Recreation Area

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver Springs
Juniper Springs Recreation Area
Orlando, Florida
“Great campground for some quality time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Arrived at Juniper without a reservation but was able to get a walk up site. We didn't like the first site so much due to size but had the option to drive around and find a site without a reservation tag. Found the perfect site for us and set up camp. Unless you have a generator or want to use a car converter there is no electricity except at front gate which was a fun trek with an air mattress. The springs are beautiful! My husband did not warn me about the canoe trip being intermediate level or that it was 7 miles. We got stuck in sand and narrow waterway. Maneuvering around the fallen trees could be tricky. Luckily we have experience with canoes/kayaks and it's something we enjoy. The views are great and something I recommend if you have time since it's the thing to do here. Do not bring plastic water bottles as you need containers you will not be tempted to throw into the water. Same applies to food. There are cooler checks so don't try to sneak anything. Overall, we had a wonderful time and would like to come back. It was nice not having the hubby resort to his phone since we did not have any service with AT&T ;)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sarasota, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Great place, beautiful setting!! The spring is fantastic. Was pretty quiet when we were there, only a few people were around. Some pretty sedate, flat walks around the springs and creek and the florida trail is right there as well, so you can walk as far as you want. We did a 2mi walk, very easy and flat (Florida, so it's expected!). Great service, everyone was very nice. Amenities were good, hot showers & toilets and dishwashing room. No camp kitchen.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

great camping go there 3 times a year. june, October jan or feb. love the place only a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. quiet, clean and all the rangers have been helpful. canoe run is a challenge but well worth it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Tampa, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Was planning a Backpacking trip through the Juniper Prairie Wilderness for a Boy Scout Troop. We were planning to park at Juniper Springs as they advertise the availability for overnight parking (for a cost). after doing research online I came away with the cost for parking $12.40 per night per vehicle and that the gates closed at 8 pm. well the fee seemed high (as a campsite with parking for two cars is $19 + tax) and we knew it would be difficult to arrive before 8 pm (but thought we could get there before 9 - the cut off for campers is 9:30 pm). We've stayed at many state parks and forest service camps that have worked with us so I assumed JS would be similar (again - only talking about 15 - 20 minutes here). I was wrong! what I got was a typical bureaucratic parroting of "those are the rules, we're just following policy, cant help you". but if I was camping I could easily call and they would open the gate up till 9:30 (done it before when camping with my family at JS) additionally, campers are given a code and can leave and return after 8 pm. So the policy made little sense. the Manager even threw "federal law" at me but the campground is not run directly by federal agency. JS is a great place built by CCC you ought to see it, but the people running it need to review policies.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Robert W
gulfport, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ocala Nat'l Forest is simply amazing. If you want to know what FL really is, this is a wonderful place to find out. So 2 sections of this review; camping, kayaking. Camping: the sites are really well maintained, but not overly so, i.e, you're still in a forest, but you don't need a machete! Great camping. I prefer the SandPine loop, more shade and more privacy, but you can't go wrong on any of the 3 loops. All based on what you're camping style is. No water or electric hook up, but every 3 or 4 sites there's a potable water site. The staff is great, and the park does have ice and firewood for sale. Kayaking- Juniper Springs is our favorite river. It is amazingly beautful but highly technical. Not 'tip you over' technical, but "crap I'm about to eat a shrub because I didn't turn fast enough" technical. It will hone your skills and it is a blast! The water is wonderful and very pristine as they don't allow anything disposable on the river. Well, and I'm betting that if you're someone who is ok with camping and kayaking/canoeing, you are more than likely not someone how would toss trash to begin with. Love my fellow nature lovers!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank faungds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the prettiest springs. As a local me and my family go a lot, it is 5.50 per person. I remember it being $5 a carload. My kids never get tired or bored of the place. I have read a few negative reviews about the run. I have never done it but I can tell its a lot of work just looking at the run from the boardwalk and on signs it says that the run is for advanced paddlers... guess it goes to show you stupidity or some people have no sense of adventure.....

• Stayed June 2013
      Rooms
1 Thank springfp
Belleview, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went to juniper spring for family day, We loved it the staff are very nice and polite. We walked in the trail it soo beautiful its very quite it felt so peaceful just you and mother nature. The water is soo cold but after a while you dont even feel it my kids loved it so much they want to go back. We recommend it .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
#7 of 34 in Ocala
Comfort Suites Ocala
Comfort Suites Ocala
#4 of 34 in Ocala

Been to Juniper Springs Recreation Area? Share your experiences!