“camping there since my sons were 5yrs old (now 32)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver Springs
Juniper Springs Recreation Area
Merritt Island, Florida, United States
“camping there since my sons were 5yrs old (now 32)”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

great camping go there 3 times a year. june, October jan or feb. love the place only a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. quiet, clean and all the rangers have been helpful. canoe run is a challenge but well worth it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Was planning a Backpacking trip through the Juniper Prairie Wilderness for a Boy Scout Troop. We were planning to park at Juniper Springs as they advertise the availability for overnight parking (for a cost). after doing research online I came away with the cost for parking $12.40 per night per vehicle and that the gates closed at 8 pm. well the fee seemed high (as a campsite with parking for two cars is $19 + tax) and we knew it would be difficult to arrive before 8 pm (but thought we could get there before 9 - the cut off for campers is 9:30 pm). We've stayed at many state parks and forest service camps that have worked with us so I assumed JS would be similar (again - only talking about 15 - 20 minutes here). I was wrong! what I got was a typical bureaucratic parroting of "those are the rules, we're just following policy, cant help you". but if I was camping I could easily call and they would open the gate up till 9:30 (done it before when camping with my family at JS) additionally, campers are given a code and can leave and return after 8 pm. So the policy made little sense. the Manager even threw "federal law" at me but the campground is not run directly by federal agency. JS is a great place built by CCC you ought to see it, but the people running it need to review policies.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Robert W
gulfport, fl
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ocala Nat'l Forest is simply amazing. If you want to know what FL really is, this is a wonderful place to find out. So 2 sections of this review; camping, kayaking. Camping: the sites are really well maintained, but not overly so, i.e, you're still in a forest, but you don't need a machete! Great camping. I prefer the SandPine loop, more shade and more privacy, but you can't go wrong on any of the 3 loops. All based on what you're camping style is. No water or electric hook up, but every 3 or 4 sites there's a potable water site. The staff is great, and the park does have ice and firewood for sale. Kayaking- Juniper Springs is our favorite river. It is amazingly beautful but highly technical. Not 'tip you over' technical, but "crap I'm about to eat a shrub because I didn't turn fast enough" technical. It will hone your skills and it is a blast! The water is wonderful and very pristine as they don't allow anything disposable on the river. Well, and I'm betting that if you're someone who is ok with camping and kayaking/canoeing, you are more than likely not someone how would toss trash to begin with. Love my fellow nature lovers!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank faungds
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the prettiest springs. As a local me and my family go a lot, it is 5.50 per person. I remember it being $5 a carload. My kids never get tired or bored of the place. I have read a few negative reviews about the run. I have never done it but I can tell its a lot of work just looking at the run from the boardwalk and on signs it says that the run is for advanced paddlers... guess it goes to show you stupidity or some people have no sense of adventure.....

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank springfp
Belleview, Florida
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went to juniper spring for family day, We loved it the staff are very nice and polite. We walked in the trail it soo beautiful its very quite it felt so peaceful just you and mother nature. The water is soo cold but after a while you dont even feel it my kids loved it so much they want to go back. We recommend it .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We came here .. and I have to admit: I expected something more, something special, but it is just a medium sized pool around the water sources there, crowds are occupying the pool, the board walk along the creek is nice but nothing special really. Overall 10 bucks for 2 person for nothing. After 30mins we were out .. and to the next disappointment: Salt Springs ... to be continued .. :)

• Stayed September 2013
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I recently went on the canoe/kayak run and had a great time. We are not experts but we both did have experiance kayaking and that helped alot . I would not recomend this for a beginner at all. Also If you do not want to get wet or if you are scared of faling in this is not for you. The run is very challenging with many turns and obsticales that you have to navigate. We saw plenty of wild life as well, Plenty of fish, 2 gators, a moccasin and even a deer.If you do plan on doing the run I would recomend a kayak, this is a very difficult run and you will likelly have to get out or possibly flip if you are in a canoe. It ia also 4 hours long through wild Florida so be prepared, this is not a gentle canoe down a nice wide stream. If you like a little adventure this is a must do. As for some of the comments about the staff being rude I did not see that at all. They were very firm in trying to let you know that the canoe trip was not for beginners and that it was up to 4.5 hours with no turning back. They were very busy and did a great job getting us signed in and on our way. The headspring is a great place to cool off and relax after the trip.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BG Sun Plaza
BG Sun Plaza
#2 of 8 in Silver Springs
Astor Bridge Marina and Hotel

Been to Juniper Springs Recreation Area? Share your experiences!