“Not what I had hoped”

Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Silver Springs
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stay at HIE's often and chose this location as vacation with my reward nights. It is an older feeling hotel with outdated decor and worn out furniture. The staff was often seen sitting at the reception desk talking and seemed disinterested when I asked for directions. I was not impressed with the "hard sell" I had to listen to while checking in...something about listening to a video to get a Visa card and being given a menu for a local Italian restaurant and told to be sure and patronize them. Breakfast was a big bottle neck with tourists hovering around the food while deciding what to have and taking forever to get out of the way. We chose not to eat breakfast there for the rest of the week because of that.
The room was not comfortable. The chair was a stiff little club chair that was anything but comfortable. The bathroom had mold in the caulking and just did not feel clean. For most of the week, our room was not cleaned until after 3:30pm.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Becky S, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for staying at our hotel. I apologize that you were not completely satisfied with our facility. Our hotel is only about 5 years old and we do invest a lot in preventative maintenance to keep the place looking like new. Most guests who stay with us believe our hotel to be brand new. If you can provide us the room number which you were in, we can carefully go over it and check for any imperfections and fix them. I can understand your frustration with the check-in spiel, however, the mention of the video was in regards to a Priority Club promotion which is currently being offered at all Holiday Inn hotels. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the HIE based on glowing reviews of this location. It was slightly out of our way but sounded worth it. I gotta say I wouldn't go out of my way again. I stay at a lot of HI properties due to my job and we have earned platinum status in their rewards program. This location is one of the cleanest, most well maintained properties I have stayed in. And the staff is very nice and they were very helpful and friendly. Their TV/cable is THE best I have ever seen in a hotel. The down side is small details that were missing. I requested extra towels when I made the reservation due to my family of 4 traveling and there's never enough towels. They called to confirm our reservation the day before we left and acknowledged the request. But when we reached our room, not enough towels. Also, every HIE I have ever stayed in has supplied the courtesy shampoo, conditioner, lotion and a facial soap bar as well as a regular bar of soap. Not this one. No conditioner, no facial bar, not even a bath mat to put down. I know these are small details and not deal breakers, but they are standard for this chain and I expected at least the standard from a location that bills itself as one of their best. To be fair, when I went down to the front desk they gladly supplied me with a complimentary shampoo and conditioner. But when my wife and kids (all girls) are trying to wash their hair is not the time you want to discover the bottle you thought was conditioner is actually hand lotion. So you have to go scrambling downstairs to find conditioner. Just a constructive critique.

• Stayed: January 2013
Becky S, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you Phil. I want to sincerely apologize for the confusion. I do not know why we dropped the ball on your special request for extra towels or why the toiletries in your room were incorrect. As you mentioned, the bathmat, shampoo and conditioner are all brand standards and should ALWAYS be placed in every guest room. My only guess is that perhaps the housekeeper who serviced your room was new or maybe you checked in early and the housekeeping supervisor didn't have a chance to go over the room and ensure everything was perfect. Usually we go to great pains to ensure that everything is exactly perfect and we double everything. Again, I am so sorry for these mistakes.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a little out of our way, but the price was excellent and the reviews on trip advisor helped us make our decision. It was well worth the extra 20 minutes from the interstate. They took care of all the little annoying aspects of the last hotel at which we stayed. A full length mirror, extra sugar for coffee besides the prepackaged one serving, a folded end of bed cover that opened to an extra needed blanket, and extra empty counter space for all my toiletries in the bathroom were those things I truly appreciated besides the cleanliness of the entire hotel. Others had said the breakfast was better than most, but I didn't find any difference. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013

Linda, thank you so much for your wonderful review of our Holiday Inn Express and Suites of Silver Springs! We are so pleased that you found it worth your while to drive the extra few miles and come visit us. We hope that the rest of your trip to Ocala was also a success. Thank you!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a four night stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Silver Springs (Ocala, Florida) and found it to be way better than average. The staff was fantastic. I don't think we ever passed a staff member in the hallway or lobby without being greeted with a smile and a warm greeting. The rooms weren't just clean - they were so clean they sparkled! We have stayed in quite a large nuimber of motels in both the Holiday Inn chain and other well known name chains. This one was far and away the best. We will be back to vist again on our next trip to Florida. Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Becky S, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Thank you James! We are so pleased that you noticed the cleanliness and friendliness of our hotel facility and staff. We truly invest a lot of time and energy to ensure that all of our guest rooms are perfect. This has made our Holiday Inn Express and Suites of Silver Springs one of the top hotels in the brand and a recipient of the prestigious Torchbearer Award.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express in Ocala was beyond expectations. The room was very large and priced like a much smaller room. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. The complimentary hot breakfast was wonderful. Biscuits, gravy, eggs and many other options were available. This was one of our best hotel experiences.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank caneschik
Becky S, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our Holiday Inn Express of Silver Springs, Florida! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and delicious breakfast. We hope that if you find yourself back in Ocala again, that you come back and visit. Thank you!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Nicely priced, this new property has it all over the nearby HI Express in Ocala. The staff is wonderful, making sure of our comfort. The breakfast is prepared in a wholesome way, and the breakfast room is large enough for a crowd. I called the hotel directly to find that they were fully booked, but that I would be called if a room became available, and this is exactly what happened. This HI Express is near great shopping and quite a few nice restaurants.

Room Tip: Stayed on the third floor....no noise to speak of.....try to get a room away from the elevator and c...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much! Our Holiday Inn Express hates turning away guests and we will do everything possible to ensure availability for our loyal guests. Although Ocala is not a huge city, there are some days when we find ourselves very busy or even sold out. We recommend that every guest book as far in advance as possible to reserve a spot and also to ensure a lower rate. Thanks!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

it was the death of my father that cause me to be home. i was so overjoyed at the compassion that was afforded us. everyone was outstanding in the performance of their duties. i believe that they went far and above the way we were treated. everything was perfect from the room to the food and location was just were we should be. the whole time we stayed i felt at peace and the place just sparkled for the work housekeeping had done. I tell you i can only say that non can compare to the excellence and professional care that we received. thank you so very much for the concern that was shown during our grief . YOU WILL ALWAYS BE THE GREATEST.

Room Tip: the room on the south side was quiet and allowed good and safe exit and entrance
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Becky S, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Harold, we are so sorry for your loss. Although it is a very sad occasion that brought you to Ocala, we are pleased that we could help you and your family during your time of grief. We hope that you have found some peace. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Silver Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites The Villages
Hilton Ocala
Hilton Ocala
#3 of 34 in Ocala

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Ocala - Silver Springs? Share your experiences!