“A horror canoe trip”
Review of Juniper Creek

More attraction details
Owner description: Creek in the Ocala National Forest popular for canoeing and swimming.
Reviewed July 19, 2012

If anyone considers this trip to be a pleasure, then they have not tried it !

My family with two kids thought it to be a great idea after we read that it was one of the top spots to go canoeing, what a mistake ! It turned out to be over four hours of getting stuck on sand banks, sunken logs and overhanging branches and tree limbs that scratched us. The worst part was that close to the end we also flipped our canoe. I got caught on a tree limb and could not free myself. Our two girls were scared to the bone.

No one at the concession stand told us that this might be very rough. We have enough respect for nature to know how far we can manage. We would not have chosen to do the ride had we been told !!

So please beware, this canoe ride is only for very fit adults. Please also be aware that alligators are present, we saw one swimming close by

2  Thank Andre S

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Juniper Springs for a long weekend to enjoy camping, the springs and the canoe run. The Springs are WONDERFUL for a hot summer Florida day. Very refreshing. Camping facilities are really nice. Convenient showers and the staff folks keep things immaculately clean and sanitized. They are nicer than a lot of bath-houses at other campgrounds that we have stayed at. However, the second day that we were at the campground, we were robbed while we were on the canoe trip. Someone stole all of our snacks: granola bars, chips, ALL of our ingredients for our Smores - which I was beyond mad about, all of our Gatorade, Red Bull, etc. Completely wiped us out. So either a stoner raided us or some kids, but either way - I was really upset that someone came to our campsite and literally went through all of our camping bins and coolers to do this. And so now for the canoe trip. We saw an abundance of turtles, fish, raccoons, Ospreys, Cranes, Blue Herrons, Possums, Deer, and several VERY large Gators. One gator we saw sunning itself on the bank had to be every bit of 13 feet long. I got a little nervous about this because #1) I didn't realize that it is mating season and they potentially can be more aggressive than normal and #2) we had flipped the canoe once and I certainly did not want to be in the water with him or any of his friends. The canoe run is NOT for anyone who is uncertain of their canoe skill set being less than top-notch and for anyone who has health concerns or is physically unfit. If you were to flip the canoe, which is 17 feet long and NOT light, you need to be able to get it back upright and the water out of it. This is not necessarily an easy task. The reality is that this can happen to anyone and I never thought it would happen to us and it did. The canoe run has an EXTREME amount of very low lying trees (so much that the canoe barely cleared them and we pretty much were laying in the canoe), a ton of low hanging branches, vines, thorny vines, limbs, etc. There are also a lot of logs in the water that you have to "scoot" the canoe over. There are several areas that you have to zig-zag to maneuver your way through. The run took us every bit of almost five hours. There wasn't any area that I felt comfortable to pull over to stretch and I was not about to risk flipping the vessel again. Overall, the trip was enjoyable because of the sights we saw. However, I was really ready to get out of that canoe!! I will tell you that I most likely will never do the canoe run again. Been there, done that, and literally got the tee shirt from the concession stand that said "I survived the Juniper Springs canoe run". We definitely have some memories from this camping trip and if I am praying to sweet baby Jesus to let me make it out of that canoe alive with all parts of my body attached, one time is good enough for me. One last thing, wear a helmet if you go. You need it for the over hang! Good luck and make sure you have a cold beer waiting on you, because you'll need it afterwards!!!

4  Thank shanna m
Reviewed June 21, 2012

great place to cool off on a hot day plenty of picnic areas and nice rest rooms and showers

Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is a must do when you want to experience the real Florida

Reviewed May 6, 2012

One of Florida's scenic treasure - and relatively undiscovered. Highly recommend a leisurely paddle down this narrow, twisting, spring run, as I have done with my family several times. You are certain to see gators, egrets, turtles and maybe deer - all up close and personal. Real Florida - not the fake Disney kind - at its best.

1  Thank Jdjop