“Great lodge & wonderful people”
Review of Eco Quechua Lodge

Eco Quechua Lodge
Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you like being one with the outdoors, this is the place for you. I want to mention first an important detail...currently the lodge doesnt take credit cards so make sure to bring enough cash. There are no ATMs in Santa Teresa and there is a money exchange but the rate isn't very good. So come prepared. Ok, about the lodge...
The lodge is located at the edge of town up on on the hill so it has great views of the mountains, eucalyptus tree groves and the river. The sign from the street doesn't do it justice...don't judge it until you get up the stairs. When you get upstairs it feels like you are in a treehouse. You enter into the open lounge area where they have plenty of seating and hammocks for you to relax in (make sure to bring a good book). There is no glass in any of the windows in the lodge so you are connected with nature. The gardens and plantings around the lodge grounds are beautiful and have a tropical feel. Our room was simple and rustic but pleasant. We had a big open window view of the trees and river, and a mosquito net over the bed for protection. It was nice falling asleep to the sound of the river each night. There are 2 shared outdoor toilets (enclosed outhouses w/ toilets), an outdoor enclosed shower (cold water) and an outdoor sink w/ mirror just outside the rooms. Bring a flashlight with you because while there are lights inside the bathrooms, you could use a little light getting there. I enjoyed brushing my teeth and washing my face in the morning while watching the birds in the trees by the sink. You can take a 10 min walk to the town center to the Plaza de Armas, where you will find restaurants and some shops. There isnt much to the town of Santa Teresa, but we appreciated it for what it was. Its a slow, quiet place where you can take in the local culture away from the tourist choas of Machu Picchu or Cusco. Take the opportunity of being here to relax, slow down and soak in the culture. You can grab a taxi to the hot springs from Plaza de Armas, or you can walk, but it's a bit of a hump on a dirt & rock road and can feel long in the heat of the day. The hot springs are beautiful and worth going to. You can sign up for dinner at the lodge and Janet will make you a delicious home cooked meal. They set the tables in the lounge with linens, candles and wine glasses. The menu is listed on the blackboard above the kitchen each day. We had delicious quinoa soup (both nights but it was a different kind each night), chicken stroganoff with potatoes, peppers and veggies and trout with potatoes and veggies, and chocolate banana freeze, and rice pudding. Everything was delicious and homemade. Breakfast was included and made to order. Coffee, fresh passion fruit juice, toast & jam and your choice of eggs or "pancakes" (crepe with chocolate sauce). The second day we went on a coffee tour with Kikae and it was one of the most memorable days of our trip. We drove about 30 min up the mountain to an entrance to the original (unrestored) Inca trail. Kikae has been a guide in Peru for 16 years and still does treks along the Inca trail, so he is super knowledgeable about the history and plants along the way. We walked along the trail for about 30 min, as Kikae pointed out plants and animals. We got to the farm and got to meet the farmer and his wife, pick coffee cherries, mill it, see it roasted, ground and then got to drink it. It was such a unique and memorable experience. On the drive back to the lodge, Kikae took us by a beautiful huge waterfall. Kikae also told us about all the sustainability efforts they are leading, through example and education, at the lodge and within the community of Santa Teresa. We were really impressed and happy that we were supporting people that are trying to do such good things for the enviroment and their community. Overall, the two days we spent here were some of the greatest memories we made on our trip. My advice to future guests would be to 1) do your research and decide if a nature focused/outdoor feeling Eco lodge and small/quiet Peruvian town is what you are looking for in your stay and 2) embrace this environment and be open to new experiences...you never know what will come your way and you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EHAustin30

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We loved our 2 night stay at Eco Quechua. Fabulous room with 3 walls, open to the river - mosquito netting over the beds! Beautiful view! Great food! Friendly and helpful service! We went to the hot springs both days... they are excellent (after seeing these hot springs, you will not be interested in the hot springs at Aguas Calientes!) We also went zip lining.
This is a great hotel if you like nature and the outdoors! The washrooms are shared, not far from the rooms. One of the showers is open air - yes, still private! There is no Internet. There are no outlets in the rooms. (The owners are very kind - if you need to charge a device, I imagine they'd let you use an outlet behind the bar)
Take a flashlight for reading and take bug spray (though the bugs in July weren't bad at all)
I recommend this hotel for one or two nights before or after visiting Machu Picchu. It cannot be used as a base for exploring Machu Picchu - there are no roads between Santa Teresa and Aguas Calientes - you must take a train (service is not very frequent) or walk!
We came from Cuscu. We took a tourist minivan. The group was going to hike from the Hydroelectric, so they were able to drop us right at the door to the lodge, since it is on the route to the station!
Be forewarned: there are no ATMs in town and this hotel is not (yet) equipped to take credit cards! Take lots of local currency or US cash. If you have US, it must be pristine!! It will be rejected if there are any tears or if there is writing on it! (same goes for purchasing train tickets at the Hydroelectric station!! - no credit cards, pristine bills!!)
Regarding those few negative reviews... Maybe some people don't really do their research... The river does seem quarry-like in places. But not at the hotel! The hot springs are not that close; you can walk there in about 45 minutes, or the owner will arrange a taxi, or collectivos go back and forth from town - all easy options! The entry to the lodge is not pretty, but once you're inside, it's all very charming! Santa Teresa is not a pretty town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CisMH
Reviewed June 15, 2013

***This place is awesome!!!!!***

Myself and my girlfriend were able to stay there for a couple of nights at the end of April of 2013. Our trip consisted of being picked up (on time) in Cusco, transportation to Santa Teresa (with lunch at a restaurant at the top of a mountain pass), two nights and activities in Santa Teresa, a hike to Aguas Calientes (the town closest to Machu Pichu) through Hydroelectrica, and a tour with another guide for Mahcu Pichu.

Juan was there the whole time on our trip for the 8 hour drive to Santa Teresa, Zip Line in Santa Teresa, the and the hike to Aguas Calientes. We had an amazing time and would recommend staying a bit longer to try out restaurants in town as well which are only a 10 minute walk away. All the meals at the Eco Quechua were great, but we were always too full to eat anything else in town afterwards. It may have had something to do with the unlimited supply of bananas and avacados at the lodge.

On our hike to Aguas Calientes we stopped for a great coffee tour, but when we arrived at Aguas Calientes we all forgot about the coffee which Juan kindly carried at the tail end of the trek. All was not lost as Juan did drop the coffee at our hotel in Cusco that we were returning to two days later. We were a bit lucky that he was traveling back that way!

Admittedly, there are likely less expensive places to stay with less expensive meals, but I doubt you will find a place with views and a dining experience like you have at this place in Santa Teresa. I can also say that we would like to return and are recommending it to friends.

Some additional items to note while in Peru:
1) If you are in Arequipa and like mountain biking, then you should definitely ride down Mt. Chachani with Peru Breathtaking Tours. It was a full day and totally worth your time with all the views.
2) For all over Peru it is best to confirm rates in $, Soles, and fix an exchange rate in advance of arrival. Some hotels we stayed and varying exchange rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side the river is on.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Paid for a private double bedroom with river views and was shown a bedroom with no view under stairs. Located in St. Theresa which is a hydro / quarry town. Whilst there they were blasting by the river. Building construction next door starts at 700am in the morning till 6pm. Not very peaceful at all. There are no other restaurants around area and owner charges S/30 per meal. The hot springs is definitely worth visiting but owner will charge you S/30 for return transport when you can negotiate with collective taxi S/5 one way. The owner doesn't give any useful information about area. Wouldn't even give location of hot springs without you first hiring his scammer drivers @ S/30. Getting to St. Theresa via Aguas Calienties is only via Vistadome PeruRail at $15US one way, last train of the day is at 1330hrs. Which owner failed to give information. Owner's real motto is "let me take all your money".

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank abx a
condorspirit, Gerente at Eco Quechua Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

There is no any hydro / quarry town here, Our guests they have a choice going to the restaurant in the town this is located only 7 - 10 minutes by walk.
We olso give instruction to our guests about the area and things to do.
We have buinding construction process of our new rooms that starts at 7:00a.m that now is over.
As the activities are very diverse the Idea of lodging here is been active with the walking, canopy, hot springs, birding tour, coffee tour etc.
About cost for the local service taxis. You can see lonely planet, foodor´s or some guiding book about Santa Teresa you will find seme price.
And something very important as a tourist respect to the locals and you will be treat well and with respect by the then.

Juan Carlos Carlotto Villa
Tour Leader and Eco Quechua Owner

Reviewed June 3, 2013

One night there cost us (3 people) the equivalent of 4 nights somewhere else- but it was worth it! I searched this hotel out before out trip and was determined to stay there even for 1 night. It took a bit of convincing of my 2 fellow-travellers but in the end they gave in- and loved it! In fact the one who objected the most- loved it the most. :)
Fantastic service, stunning location and beautifully simple decor.
I've never had a shower with a better view either!
We arrived quite late in the afternoon on the same day we climbed Machu Picchu and walked from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric Station… So it was quite a day! We spend the evening sitting in the veranda, drinking beer (Pilsen- best beer in Peru!), listening to the sounds of the river and the forest and observing all sorts of crazy insects (one of the fellow-travellers is a biologist and a bug-lover so you can imagine the excitement) - It was probably one of the most relaxed moments we had during our whole trip.
What else can I say?
If you have the money and can afford it- stay there as long as you can. Eat their food. Do the trips they offer. We would have loved to do the coffee one but simply had to move on.
If you don't have the money- Stay there even if it's only 1 night. Treat yourself :) It will be an experience you'll never forget!
I can't recommend it enough- Big thank you Juan Carlos!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was the best nights stay on our whole trip to Peru. I felt the most immersed in culture and nature at Eco Quechua Lodge. BUT there are a few things you should know. Eco Quechua Lodge is very green, I mean like you stay the night in a tree house green. Honestly the rooms have three walls with the one open side facing the Urubamba river. The Urubamba is a very swift large river so it put me to sleep like a baby. Beds have Mosquito netting for a reason, so bring bug spray. Leave your phone at home since they dont have Wifi and you wont care about it once you get there anyway. Another thing to do with your stay at Eco Quechua is visit Cocal Mayo hot springs, for only 10 soles you get 2 hours of time in the pools and honestly it is very worth it after a long day of hiking Machu Picchu. If you are worried about getting to the hotel, its not as hard to get there as it seems online. All you need to do is when you arrive at Machu Picchu via the Perurail train go to the train office and get a ticket from Agua Calientes to the Hidroelectica(the hydroelectric dam outside of Santa Teresa). Once you arrive at the Hidroelectric dam train station take a taxi(preferably not one driven by a 14 year old kid like I did) to the Eco Quechua Lodge. Make SURE you eat at the lodge since I can honestly say that the food at the lodge was the best I had in all of Peru. Honestly I will dream about the corn bisque for the rest of my natural life. Kika the manager speaks English very well so don't worry about a large language barrier, and make sure you have some passion fruit pisco sours since they use there own passion fruit to make the drink. So if you want an honest cultural experience in Peru you should stay at Eco Quechua Lodge! I really felt connected after staying there.

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple email Kika in advance and ask about the room facing the Urubamba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miguelrowland
Reviewed May 2, 2013

After spending four days on the Inka Trail in the amazing Andes mountains, it was such a pleasure to leave Machu Picchu's tourist hub. The Peruvians need the income so Aguas Calientes is understandable, but I was looking for calm and serenity to take in the experience of the four day hike and my previous week in lovely Peru. Tique, aka Juan Carlos and his wife Janet are amazing hosts. We were picked up at the train station by a driver waiting for us. Upon arrival, we were greeted with passion fruit drinks on the veranda and freshly picked bananas. The sound of the river below, wind through the trees and the birds were utter delights. A few people were hungry so our hosts made us cheese and avocado sandwiches. They wanted to serve dinner at 8:30 but a few of us wanted to go to the hotsprings so they served it at 6:30 to suit our request. The dinner was lovely and delicious - trout, potatoes, veggies and a chocolate and banana dessert. Hosts had a cab driver pick us up to take us to the local hot springs 10 minutes away. It was absolutely delightful. They are open all night. Three large pools with a slight variation in temperature. So good on Inka Trail muscles. Unfortunately for me, I got quite ill from withdrawl of my anti altitude pills so I slept pretty much the whole next day except for when the hosts knocked on the door to check on me. They made me tea, brought me to the internet cafe, bought me electrolytes and insisted that I eat homemade chicken soup (delicious, and felt better after that.) There are several verandas to hang out on, lovely chairs to relax in, hammocks to swing in. Dinners are served by candlelight with wine glasses and white napkins. Couldn't recommend more highly. Wonderful way to take in Peru's hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
#5 of 7 in Santa Teresa
Hostal Yacumama
Hostal Yacumama
#4 of 7 in Santa Teresa

Been to Eco Quechua Lodge? Share your experiences!