“Don't get sucked in....located in Quarry, owner is a scammer”
Review of Eco Quechua Lodge

Eco Quechua Lodge
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Paid for a private double bedroom with river views and was shown a bedroom with no view under stairs. Located in St. Theresa which is a hydro / quarry town. Whilst there they were blasting by the river. Building construction next door starts at 700am in the morning till 6pm. Not very peaceful at all. There are no other restaurants around area and owner charges S/30 per meal. The hot springs is definitely worth visiting but owner will charge you S/30 for return transport when you can negotiate with collective taxi S/5 one way. The owner doesn't give any useful information about area. Wouldn't even give location of hot springs without you first hiring his scammer drivers @ S/30. Getting to St. Theresa via Aguas Calienties is only via Vistadome PeruRail at $15US one way, last train of the day is at 1330hrs. Which owner failed to give information. Owner's real motto is "let me take all your money".

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank abx a
condorspirit, Gerente at Eco Quechua Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

There is no any hydro / quarry town here, Our guests they have a choice going to the restaurant in the town this is located only 7 - 10 minutes by walk.
We olso give instruction to our guests about the area and things to do.
We have buinding construction process of our new rooms that starts at 7:00a.m that now is over.
As the activities are very diverse the Idea of lodging here is been active with the walking, canopy, hot springs, birding tour, coffee tour etc.
About cost for the local service taxis. You can see lonely planet, foodor´s or some guiding book about Santa Teresa you will find seme price.
And something very important as a tourist respect to the locals and you will be treat well and with respect by the then.

Juan Carlos Carlotto Villa
Tour Leader and Eco Quechua Owner

Reviewed June 3, 2013

One night there cost us (3 people) the equivalent of 4 nights somewhere else- but it was worth it! I searched this hotel out before out trip and was determined to stay there even for 1 night. It took a bit of convincing of my 2 fellow-travellers but in the end they gave in- and loved it! In fact the one who objected the most- loved it the most. :)
Fantastic service, stunning location and beautifully simple decor.
I've never had a shower with a better view either!
We arrived quite late in the afternoon on the same day we climbed Machu Picchu and walked from Aguas Calientes to Hydroelectric Station… So it was quite a day! We spend the evening sitting in the veranda, drinking beer (Pilsen- best beer in Peru!), listening to the sounds of the river and the forest and observing all sorts of crazy insects (one of the fellow-travellers is a biologist and a bug-lover so you can imagine the excitement) - It was probably one of the most relaxed moments we had during our whole trip.
What else can I say?
If you have the money and can afford it- stay there as long as you can. Eat their food. Do the trips they offer. We would have loved to do the coffee one but simply had to move on.
If you don't have the money- Stay there even if it's only 1 night. Treat yourself :) It will be an experience you'll never forget!
I can't recommend it enough- Big thank you Juan Carlos!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was the best nights stay on our whole trip to Peru. I felt the most immersed in culture and nature at Eco Quechua Lodge. BUT there are a few things you should know. Eco Quechua Lodge is very green, I mean like you stay the night in a tree house green. Honestly the rooms have three walls with the one open side facing the Urubamba river. The Urubamba is a very swift large river so it put me to sleep like a baby. Beds have Mosquito netting for a reason, so bring bug spray. Leave your phone at home since they dont have Wifi and you wont care about it once you get there anyway. Another thing to do with your stay at Eco Quechua is visit Cocal Mayo hot springs, for only 10 soles you get 2 hours of time in the pools and honestly it is very worth it after a long day of hiking Machu Picchu. If you are worried about getting to the hotel, its not as hard to get there as it seems online. All you need to do is when you arrive at Machu Picchu via the Perurail train go to the train office and get a ticket from Agua Calientes to the Hidroelectica(the hydroelectric dam outside of Santa Teresa). Once you arrive at the Hidroelectric dam train station take a taxi(preferably not one driven by a 14 year old kid like I did) to the Eco Quechua Lodge. Make SURE you eat at the lodge since I can honestly say that the food at the lodge was the best I had in all of Peru. Honestly I will dream about the corn bisque for the rest of my natural life. Kika the manager speaks English very well so don't worry about a large language barrier, and make sure you have some passion fruit pisco sours since they use there own passion fruit to make the drink. So if you want an honest cultural experience in Peru you should stay at Eco Quechua Lodge! I really felt connected after staying there.

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple email Kika in advance and ask about the room facing the Urubamba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miguelrowland
Reviewed May 2, 2013

After spending four days on the Inka Trail in the amazing Andes mountains, it was such a pleasure to leave Machu Picchu's tourist hub. The Peruvians need the income so Aguas Calientes is understandable, but I was looking for calm and serenity to take in the experience of the four day hike and my previous week in lovely Peru. Tique, aka Juan Carlos and his wife Janet are amazing hosts. We were picked up at the train station by a driver waiting for us. Upon arrival, we were greeted with passion fruit drinks on the veranda and freshly picked bananas. The sound of the river below, wind through the trees and the birds were utter delights. A few people were hungry so our hosts made us cheese and avocado sandwiches. They wanted to serve dinner at 8:30 but a few of us wanted to go to the hotsprings so they served it at 6:30 to suit our request. The dinner was lovely and delicious - trout, potatoes, veggies and a chocolate and banana dessert. Hosts had a cab driver pick us up to take us to the local hot springs 10 minutes away. It was absolutely delightful. They are open all night. Three large pools with a slight variation in temperature. So good on Inka Trail muscles. Unfortunately for me, I got quite ill from withdrawl of my anti altitude pills so I slept pretty much the whole next day except for when the hosts knocked on the door to check on me. They made me tea, brought me to the internet cafe, bought me electrolytes and insisted that I eat homemade chicken soup (delicious, and felt better after that.) There are several verandas to hang out on, lovely chairs to relax in, hammocks to swing in. Dinners are served by candlelight with wine glasses and white napkins. Couldn't recommend more highly. Wonderful way to take in Peru's hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was one of the most amazing places I've ever stayed... From the road, you would never know how fabulous it is, but once you're up there it's just magical. The manager was wonderful and welcoming, and we felt so comfortable and homey the whole time. I thoroughly enjoyed swaying in a hammock munching on a red-skinned banana and listening to the river running by and watching the fireflies flit around in the trees while dinner was being prepared. My husband and I are vegan, and they made us an amazing meal of quinoa risotto rather than the chicken everyone else had. They also made me a fantastic fruit plate for breakfast rather than eggs or pancakes. They were amazingly gracious and hospitable, I can't even explain how wonderful our stay was... The building itself is gorgeous, made with wooden beams and straw - the manager told us everything was sourced locally and built traditionally. Another highlight was heading down to the local hotsprings, which are the best hotsprings I've ever seen - surrounded by mountains and spilling over into a waterfall. Phenomenal. That's my word for this place. If you have the chance to stay here, you will fall in love with it.

Room Tip: My husband found the river a bit loud for sleeping, but I loved the white noise :) If you have troub...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was a bit worried when the taxi pulled up to this eco lodge. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere. But after you climb the stairs up to the lodge from street level, a unique and interesting experience awaits you. The "landlords" hardly speak any English at all, but that adds to the charm. The meal they cooked for us was one of the best meals we had in Peru. And the sleep, out in the fresh air (under moquito nets of course), was amazing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We couldn't bring our dogs with us to Peru, and we were missing our dogs -- but we fell in love with the resident dog Malki. When we were there, she'd just had a litter of pups. She's very sensitive, whimsical, and intelligent -- she kept us quite entertained.

We enjoyed the hot springs nearby, and the local coffee that Juan Carlos made for us. The sounds of the river and wind blowing through the Eucalyptus trees were mesmerizing. Warning -- keep your mosquito repellent on. There are some nasty biting insects in the area.

Our stay was wonderful. Juan Carlos and his wife are very resourceful people and will go out of their way to help you. If you go, say hi to Malki for us. Her name means "tree".

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#13 of 29 in Aguas Calientes
Hospedaje Puriq
Hospedaje Puriq
#1 of 3 in Santa Teresa

Been to Eco Quechua Lodge? Share your experiences!