“Lousy”

Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ate there the day before New Year's Eve and they had their New Year's Eve menu - it cost more and the food was really awful. I think that is horrible that they didn't have their regular menu, I'd be very upset if that is where I was spending NYE and had to endure that terrible food

6  Thank Geri S

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We've tried this place 3 times over the past 10 years and just cant say anything good about it. Food is greasy, salty, undercooked or overcooked. Service is very harried or spotty. Overpriced and lackluster. Better options nearby.

6  Thank Travelspirit
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Big glasses of wine, 2 for 1 was $6.00. I also had the chicken marsala, potatoes and green beans for $16.00, very good. Music was playing outside and crowd was pleasant.

1  Thank sillywilly
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went here on a recommendation from a friend and after having been, I'm not sure that I would consider them a friend any longer!

If you look at my previous reviews, I very rarely give any bad reviews at all because usually I give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they were having an off night, maybe someone called in sick. Who knows. But this place honestly deserves a negative review.

To begin with, we arrived at 5 PM on a Friday night. Our last dinner together in Siesta Key before we had to all head home the next morning. We were told that they did not open for dinner until 5:30. No problem. We ordered drinks and sat around and talked.

We were then seated at 5:30. At this time, we are literally the only people at the place. So where would you sit a family of 9 ranging in ages from 27 to 80 when the ENTIRE place is available? Right next to the band outside of course!! We ordered some appetizers and some more drinks and talked until the band cranked up. After that, there was zero talking to be had to anyone not directly beside you. While inconvenient, maybe they assumed we would be into screaming over music while we ate. Ok, I'll accept that reasoning.

So we ordered our entrees and were promptly served 1 1/2 hours later. Let me repeat, WE WERE THE FIRST PEOPLE THERE THIS NIGHT AND FOR WELL OVER AN HOUR, THE ONLY PEOPLE THERE. I'll accept that maybe the cook was sick and they had to call in backup or something. I can't accept the waitress disappearing for over 45 minutes while we just sat there wondering what the heck was going on.

So after this 1 1/2 hour wait, the food had to have been amazing, right?? Of course not. Why would anything at this place possibly go well? Just a note, mashed potatoes should not be able to be picked up in their entirety with a fork. They should be creamy, lumpy, something. Not just one giant clump. Also, I had the grouper which was bland as well. Just to be clear, I am NOT a food critic. I rarely just completely hate a meal. Some are good, some are bad. It happens.

The kicker was that this meal cost over $70 (without tip) for just my girlfriend and I, without drinks. The night before, we had an amazing meal at Miguel's for $60.

So all in all, I can accept the band perhaps. Maybe I can even be sold on the crazy long wait for food or the bad food in general. What I can't accept is all of this going on at the same time, while also being fleeced on the charge for it.

On a positive note, it appears to be a hoping bar at night. Its just NOT a restaurant. This is a BAR that sells food.

Oh and one last thing. I lived in the panhandle on the beach for almost 7 years. The excuse that "this is the island way" just doesn't fly.

7  Thank wrighj9
blasecafe, Manager at Blase Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

I was concerned by your issues but we need to clarify a few of them. To start, when your party stopped in before we opened I did, myself, tell you that we are solidly booked through the night but when you expressed disappointment I did my best to accommodate you. I informed you that we had a party of 45 and multiple other reservations, which means that all the "empty" tables you wrote about were actually reserved from 6 p.m.

As far as food taking a long time, I went to our system and pulled your ticket to establish the time line which is correct if you are adding the 1/2 wait for the dinning to open at 5:30. But from the time you were seated, your party of 9 ordered 3 courses. Main courses were out in 54 minutes which were preceded by soups and appetizers. Therefore, the time line you are establishing is inaccurate. There were no signs of dissatisfaction with the food, plates were empty, and there were no complaints from your party brought to either your server or to my attention. We do appreciate feedback and would have loved the chance to make your experience a great one if we had been given the chance.

Blasé Café & Martini Bar Management

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very cool place-staff was wonderful and drinks were great! Would love to try the food next time. Everyone seemed to know each other and were having a great time dancing.

1  Thank cpue